5,599,616 Members 43,132 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] power button dead- need touch version of CWM to backup with.

Tip us?

flet2
Old
(Last edited by flet2; 4th February 2013 at 07:59 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] power button dead- need touch version of CWM to backup with.

Hey guys,

Been lurking on the site for a while, I've searched all morning for what i need but with no success.

Setup: Att sgh-i777 rooted etc. running JellyBam 5.1

Problem: Power button stopped working, cannot use recovery to backup/flash new software.
Plenty of threads on the button issue, that's not the main question (suggestions welcome though) I just really want to backup before I send it off for repair.

Seems my best course of action is to get a kernel with touch based recovery. I tried downloading mobile Odin to flash a new kernel but it's telling me my phone isn't supported for some reason? I ran the dump file Odin suggested but not sure what to do with that info now. Next best option appears to be to get a .tar of the siyah kernel and flash it with Odin via PC. I just can't find a .tar for that kernel anywhere and I don't have enough posts to ask in the siyah thread.

So, can anyone give me a hand- either with trouble shooting mobile odin, or tracking down a .TAR of the siyah kernel or...any other suggestions?

Edit: Just found this- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1644240
I realize this is in the 9100 forum but looks like it simply converts a zip to an odin flashable tar which is what i'm looking for. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Phalanx7621
Old
Thanks Meter 2045
Default Re: [Q] power button dead- need touch version of CWM to backup with.

You want to do a nandroid backup? Yes just flash the siyah kernel in the development forum with mobile Odin. It does work with our phones.

Phones: Samsung Galaxy S II, Motorola Atrix[retired]

flet2
Old
(Last edited by flet2; 5th February 2013 at 01:56 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx7621 View Post
You want to do a nandroid backup? Yes just flash the siyah kernel in the development forum with mobile Odin. It does work with our phones.
Odin says "Device not supported, or not detected (check root)" see attached screen. I'm definitely rooted, have superSU1.04, use TI backup frequently etc.
It actually magically started working again last night though. I immediately did a backup but at the end it said "md5 checksum failed". I then ran kernel cleaner, wiped cache, wiped delvik and flashed the newest siyah and tried again and backup was successful and now i'm on touch recovery. Mobile odin still tells me not supported/not detected though- any idea what might cause that? could it be ROM related ?
I'm going to flash back to jellybam 4.1 today and see if that does it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-02-05-08-38-30.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1705543  

BeenAndroidized
Old
Thanks Meter 99

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by flet2 View Post
Odin says "Device not supported, or not detected (check root)" see attached screen. I'm definitely rooted, have superSU1.04, use TI backup frequently etc.
It actually magically started working again last night though. I immediately did a backup but at the end it said "md5 checksum failed". I then ran kernel cleaner, wiped cache, wiped delvik and flashed the newest siyah and tried again and backup was successful and now i'm on touch recovery. Mobile odin still tells me not supported/not detected though- any idea what might cause that? could it be ROM related ?
It possibly can be ROM related (but I am not certain). User AJ's Siyah kernel 7.6.8, it's works well with all the ROMs.
Current Phone: Galaxy S II [i777] > ROM: SHOstock3 Latest Released!!! [Got My Jelly Bean as of 1/29/2013]
Retired Phone: G1 Black 32B (unlocked) on AT&T | (Bricked as of 11/1/2011 [Due to my $tuP!t!d!ty for not using fastboot WARNING])
--------------
If this or any post here on xda helped you please click the thanks button, and if you want to buy me a cup of coffee you can click the donate button!

flet2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAndroidized View Post
It possibly can be ROM related (but I am not certain). User AJ's Siyah kernel 7.6.8, it's works well with all the ROMs.
Yup, running 7.6.7 now and enjoying it.. My power button is currently working again but i turned on 'swipe to wake' in Stweaks so when it fails again, at least i'll still have a working phone. the volume wake from AOKP settings doesn't work when the phone is in deep sleep so pretty useless. As long as i stay on Siyah kernel i guess i'll be able to limp along until i get the button fixed.

The Odin thing is still strange though, will have to try another ROM and see if it recognizes my phone then. Tried Jellybam 4.1 but kept getting reboots even with full wipe- tried flashing it twice. Maybe i got a bad download, i'll try again tonight.

BeenAndroidized
Old
Thanks Meter 99

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Yup, running 7.6.7 now and enjoying it.. My power button is currently working again but i turned on 'swipe to wake' in Stweaks so when it fails again, at least i'll still have a working phone. the volume wake from AOKP settings doesn't work when the phone is in deep sleep so pretty useless. As long as i stay on Siyah kernel i guess i'll be able to limp along until i get the button fixed.

The Odin thing is still strange though, will have to try another ROM and see if it recognizes my phone then. Tried Jellybam 4.1 but kept getting reboots even with full wipe- tried flashing it twice. Maybe i got a bad download, i'll try again tonight.
Try 7.6.8, I'm using 7.6.8-S and swipe works perfectly fine on my end.
Current Phone: Galaxy S II [i777] > ROM: SHOstock3 Latest Released!!! [Got My Jelly Bean as of 1/29/2013]
Retired Phone: G1 Black 32B (unlocked) on AT&T | (Bricked as of 11/1/2011 [Due to my $tuP!t!d!ty for not using fastboot WARNING])
--------------
If this or any post here on xda helped you please click the thanks button, and if you want to buy me a cup of coffee you can click the donate button!

flet2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAndroidized View Post
Try 7.6.8, I'm using 7.6.8-S and swipe works perfectly fine on my end.
Oh yea the swipe to unlock for siyah works great. I was referring to JellyBam's AOKP settings which offers a volume to wake. Volume wake works when on charger, but won't wake it from deep sleep. Siyah's Swipe wake does both

I would still love to have an odin flashable .tar of siyah though- If anyone has any insight on how to get that (or make it from the .zip) that would be awesome. I used the tool from the thread linked in the OP and it did turn the kernal zip into a .tar but i don't dare flash it to test...

Quicksilver13
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Read somewhere that jellybam 5.1.0 places the wrong phone info in the rom. It show up as i777 instead of sgh-i777 and this might be causing Mobile odin to fail on the compatibility test.

billyjed
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Default Re: [Q] power button dead- need touch version of CWM to backup with.

To turn your volume up button into a power button edit the /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl file to read:
key 115 POWER WAKE
key 114 VOLUME_DOWNWAKE
key 102 HOME WAKE
key 107 ENDCALL
key 105 DPAD_LEFT
key 106 DPAD_RIGHT
key 103 DPAD_UP
key 108 DPAD_DOWN
key 232 DPAD_CENTER
key 116 POWER WAKE
key 212 CAMERA WAKE

key 115 is the volume up button. This only works in the fully booted os. Doesn't work in recovery.

Sent from my Apple IIe

flet2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver13 View Post
Read somewhere that jellybam 5.1.0 places the wrong phone info in the rom. It show up as i777 instead of sgh-i777 and this might be causing Mobile odin to fail on the compatibility test.
Yup that was exactly it. I notice it when i went back to Jellybam 4.1 and saw the full device name in the 'about'. Hopefully 5.2 drops soon with all the necessary fixes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjed View Post
To turn your volume up button into a power button edit the /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl file to read:
key 115 POWER WAKE
key 114 VOLUME_DOWNWAKE
key 102 HOME WAKE
key 107 ENDCALL
key 105 DPAD_LEFT
key 106 DPAD_RIGHT
key 103 DPAD_UP
key 108 DPAD_DOWN
key 232 DPAD_CENTER
key 116 POWER WAKE
key 212 CAMERA WAKE

key 115 is the volume up button. This only works in the fully booted os. Doesn't work in recovery.

Sent from my Apple IIe
Thanks for this info. Is there a thread or tutorial somewhere that will explain how to access and edit this file? I assume it's not as simple as just navigating to it and making the changes?
Also, how do i get volume to go up if i turn it into a power button? wouldn't that make my phone lock every time i tried to turn up the volume then?