5,604,367 Members 48,951 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Horrible battery life after 2.3.6

Tip us?
 
Entropy512
Old
#91  
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 23431
Posts: 12,789
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Owego, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
I'll update it to indicate that UVerse 2wire routers seem to be the culprit.

I'll have to try some ARP spam tests later this week. It would be more evidence pointing to the wifi chip's "filters" being looser in KK6 than KH7, in addition to the BT-AMP bug.

I've got an idea that might fix many of the KK6 problems if that is indeed the case. Will need some time to investigate.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
DefTaker
Old
#92  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 38
Posts: 323
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
I'll update it to indicate that UVerse 2wire routers seem to be the culprit.

I'll have to try some ARP spam tests later this week. It would be more evidence pointing to the wifi chip's "filters" being looser in KK6 than KH7, in addition to the BT-AMP bug.

I've got an idea that might fix many of the KK6 problems if that is indeed the case. Will need some time to investigate.
If there's any way I can help you with this on my end, let me know. I'm back home Friday and will be able to test whatever needs to be tested all day on Friday. That'd be aawesome if you find the fix!
 
JohnMcW
Old
#93  
JohnMcW's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1038
Posts: 854
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sacramento

 
DONATE TO ME
Cool Some Dumps

Hmm, I have a 2wireRouter with ATT Uverse. Here are a couple of dumps running just a few minutes. If you would like longer dumps let me know.
I am running UnNamed 2.2.1 With the Entropy kernal

Sometimes I only use 50% power in a day,
Sometimes the power drains like crazy.
Of Course usually that is with Words With Friends which will eat up about 1% every 3 minutes.

I don't really think there was much difference for me with UnNamed 1.3 when I was using it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SharkDumpJohnMcW.zip - [Click for QR Code] (39.4 KB, 3 views)
 
jhermit
Old
#94  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 192
Join Date: Feb 2011
Ok. Followed Entropy's advice and
1) went back to stock 2.3.4
2) Went to airplane mode to ensure no communication with big brother
3) Rooted
4) Removed bloat stuff (and device manager) using Titanium
5) unrooted

All seems well and my office network seems to still be operational. Thanks for your help.
 
weaver4
Old
#95  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Jan 2012
I installed 2.3.4 on my phone last night using this site.

galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

I then ran my phone overnight and the power consumption went down to about 1.5% loss per hour. With 2.3.6 I was losing about 9-10% per hour.
 
jhermit
Old
#96  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 192
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver4 View Post
I installed 2.3.4 on my phone last night using this site.

galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

I then ran my phone overnight and the power consumption went down to about 1.5% loss per hour. With 2.3.6 I was losing about 9-10% per hour.
I found that site a bit confusing. Maybe just me. The sticky right on XDA seemed easier to follow:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1313659

I also see significant improvement since moving back to 2.3.4 Following the procedure did not increment my flash count and all my apps, settings, etc. migrated without me having to worry about it (I did make a backup just in case). So far, I am glad to have done it and my fear of losing access to my company's VPN did not come true.
 
DefTaker
Old
#97  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 38
Posts: 323
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhermit View Post
Ok. Followed Entropy's advice and
1) went back to stock 2.3.4
2) Went to airplane mode to ensure no communication with big brother
3) Rooted
4) Removed bloat stuff (and device manager) using Titanium
5) unrooted

All seems well and my office network seems to still be operational. Thanks for your help.
I don't understand...You went back to being 100% stock...then you rooted...then you unrooted? <-- Was this just to remove the OTA upgrade from stock? I don't understand why you didn't just stay rooted?
 
jhermit
Old
(Last edited by jhermit; 24th January 2012 at 04:36 PM.)
#98  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 192
Join Date: Feb 2011
My company will not allow access to their VPN from a rooted device. So I rooted, removed the device manager to avoid future "upgrades to 2.3.6" and froze some of the bloat. Then I unrooted to ensure big brother did not kick me out.

Whenever ICS or a fix is provided to the battery problem, I can root again, activate the device manager and allow the upgrade. Basically, I decide when to upgrade and not AT&T.

If it weren't for my company's policy, I would have stayed rooted. (Fixing oops)
 
votinh
Old
#99  
votinh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 414
Posts: 2,135
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhermit View Post
Ok. Followed Entropy's advice and
1) went back to stock 2.3.4
2) Went to airplane mode to ensure no communication with big brother
3) Rooted
4) Removed bloat stuff (and device manager) using Titanium
5) unrooted

All seems well and my office network seems to still be operational. Thanks for your help.
How do you perform step 5?
Can you provide the link to the instruction?
All I know is this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1286432
Official CM10.1 Nightly @ 1000MHz NOOKcolor
Offiical CM11 KK Nightly on Kindle Fire 1st-Gen
Rooted Kindle Fire HD 8.9" w/ Nova Launcher
Virgin JB 4.3 on Sony Xperia Tablet Z
Stock ROM KK 4.4.2 on LG-D800

Virgin Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 - LOST
Slimbean 8.1 on Galaxy S2 i777 - LOST
 
Entropy512
Old
#100  
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 23431
Posts: 12,789
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Owego, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhermit View Post
My company will not allow access to their VPN from a rooted device. So I rooted, removed the device manager to avoid future "upgrades to 2.3.6" and froze some of the bloat. Then I unrooted to ensure big brother did not kick me out.

Whenever ICS or a fix is provided to the battery problem, I can root again, activate the device manager and allow the upgrade. Basically, I decide when to upgrade and not AT&T.

If it weren't for my company's policy, I would have stayed unrooted.
I assume you mean rooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by votinh View Post
How do you perform step 5?
Can you provide the link to the instruction?
All I know is this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1286432
Remove the following files:
/system/bin/su
/system/xbin/su
/system/app/Superuser.apk
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes