[Guide] Absolute Newbie's Guide to Rooting a Streak 7 that has Stock Honeycomb

Search This thread

EwanG

Jan 16, 2009
San Antonio, TX
500px.com
Obviously this guide owes a huge bunch of thanks to "TheManii", "Giveen" and other folks who can't be named on this forum. I have tested this on both a Streak 7 WiFi and a Streak 7 4G. In both cases they had the Stock Honeycomb already on them. So if you are coming from some other version of Android you may wish to reconsider :D

1) Download the Fastboot+ADB.zip file for Clockwork Mod 5.0.2.7 from the XDA Developers thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334487)

2) Download the Clockwork mod 5.0.2.7 file from the XDA Developers thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334487)

3) Go into Settings->Applications and turn on "Run Applications from Unknown Sources"

4) Go to Development Settings and select "USB Debugging"

5) Unpack the Fastboot+ADB file into a directory on your computer where you can find it again

6) Attach the Streak to your PC, and copy the "Drivers.zip" file from the root directory of the Streak (/sdcard) to the same directory where you unpacked the Fastboot file

7) Turn off your Streak after you have copied this file, and disconnect it from the PC

8) Unpack the drivers.zip file and find the "Setup.MSI" file. Execute this file to install the drivers you will need

9) Put your Streak into Fastboot mode - i.e. turn it off, then turn it on by pressing the Power button while holding the Vol DOWN (-) at the same time. This can take up to 20 seconds

10) You will get some red text followed by a white line saying something about Fastboot USB downloading is active

11) Connect the streak to the PC now, and it should install an Android ADB driver. Depending on what you have already setup you may get some drivers installed successfully, and some not. In general if you've been following this guide, you'll be ok

12) Open a command line for the folder where you have fastboot and your recovery image (ClockWorkMod) - in windows navigate to the folder, and hold the shift key while right clicking

13) On the command line type the following:
fastboot -i 0x413C flash recovery recovery.img (where recovery.img is the ClockworkMod or other recovery file)

14) On the command line type the following:
fastboot -i 0x413C reboot

15) Your device should now reboot

16) To get it to reboot into CWM, turn the Streak off, and then turn it on again while holding the Power Button and Volume UP (+) at the same time. This may take up to 30 seconds

From here you would follow the normal CWM options to install just the root files (Superuser7 for one example) or install a custom ROM.

Last edited:

EwanG

Jan 16, 2009
San Antonio, TX
500px.com
It turns out steps 9 - 15 are also a great way to fix the problem when your Streak comes up and starts asking for a Password when you never setup a password. For some reason installing one of the custom ROMS also installs a version of CWM that is not as recent as the 5 series, which can lead to issues with the signature verification (i.e. when things go "boom", Android sees the partition as encrypted rather than just "locked"). So steps 9 - 15 allow you to put in a later CWM which does a proper wipe, and you're back in business. Have to reinstall apps, but the data is left alone.

Just in case I'm not the only one who has run into this :D

monkeymommy

Jan 5, 2012
Ok, I used this guide to modify my Dell Streak 7 wifi. After I was done my screen kept flickering and I put it back to stock thanks to AndroidOVERALL putting together a post on how to complete the restore.

I have searched about the screen flickering but didn't find a resolution. Maybe I missed it, but it seemed that others had the same issue and it was either a hardware problem, the brightness was adjusted, or auto rotate was disabled. I tried adjusting the brightness settings and many other settings but the issue was not resolved until I returned everything to stock.

I have a Dell streak 7 wifi, US version with Honeycomb.

Please point me in the right direction if this issue has been resolved and I missed it. If not any suggestions?

EwanG

Jan 16, 2009
San Antonio, TX
500px.com
Did you load a custom ROM after following these steps, or did you just reboot aft getting CWM installed. Usually the flickering comes from an issue with the video driver (so can be software if a bad driver, or hardware if it's only marginally in spec).

Reactions: ds0tm

mobilemedic

Jan 22, 2007
Snowflake
For any one who gets to the end of the steps and now can boot in go CWM but doesn't know what to do about getting rooted.

Very very Simple.

Download Superuser7.zip
http://www.tablet-cables.com/streak/tools/root/Superuser7.zip

Have your Streak booted normally and USB cable hooked up.

Move to the internal Memory Superuser7.zip

power off device

Power back on using Vol UP & Power Button

Select 2. Software upgrade via update.pkg on SD card and press power

CWM will load.

Select install zip from sd card and power to enter.

select Choose zip from internal sd card and power.

use Vol UP to go backwards to your files and select Superuser7.zip and hit power

move down to YES - Install Superuser7.zip and hit power

thats it. its rooted.

goto ++++++++ Go Back+++++++

and reboot system now

and let it reboot.

Not necessary, but I'd suggest running Superuser and hitting the Knob icon top right (settings) and scrolling down and updating Super User.

Hope this helps someone who may not know where to get Superuser7 and what to do after following the great guide above.

blastedmax

Dec 12, 2010
Help?

I am trying to Flash superuser.zip after installing the clockwork.
But I keep getting the following screen. I do not have exterior sd card installed.
What can I do?

EwanG

Jan 16, 2009
San Antonio, TX
500px.com
I am trying to Flash superuser.zip after installing the clockwork.
But I keep getting the following screen. I do not have exterior sd card installed.
What can I do?

It's saying that it is looking for an SD Card and not finding it, so that certainly makes sense. However, it sounds like it is looking for "update.pkg" rather than "superuser.zip", so is it possible you accidentally selected the "Update" option in CWM rather than the option to select a file?

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
He doesnt have clockwork mod installed, you must have CWM installed to flash zips

PfcKirk

Mar 5, 2011
Hyattsville, MD
OK, I have a new Streak 7 t-mobile with HC 3.2. I plug it to the pc running xp sp3, and it needs drivers for MTP and Streak7. I pointed to the Fastboot+ADB folder I extracted for the Streak7 driver and it installed Android ADB Interface. Pointing there for MTP fails to find a driver. I can't get to the internal SD to get the drivers.zip because my computer won't recognize the Streak until the MTP driver is installed. After installing an MTP driver from the net, I can see the internal and external SD. I copied everything to a single folder labelled STREAK in c:\ and unplug the Streak from the pc. I put the Streak into fastboot mode (Volume - & Power), wait about 10 seconds, then plug it into the usb port. The computer see the Fastboot device and needs a driver. I point it to the STREAK folder (former Fastboot+ADB) but it didn't find a driver it liked. I tried to install manually, but there is no Android 1.0 or Android ABD Interface devices in my list. I do see Android USB Devices, but it is empty when I click on it. ANYBODY else get this, and how do I move forward? I followed the guide to the letter, and appreciate all the work & effort you guys put into making these root methods available. The Streak7 is a cool little device, but I think it will be cooler once I root it. I have rooted my Epic 4g and the wife's Evo 4g on this same computer, and I do have the Android SDK installed (even though I don't know how to use it).

OK, so I used all the same files I have here and was able to successfully get Clockwork flashed & gain root. I dunno why the xp machines don't like these files. I tried 3 other xp laptops before getting to my wife's Windows 7 laptop, which worked just as described in the very well-written guides. #MindBottling!

Last edited:

cidand1

Jan 5, 2009
I cannot even find the drivers.zip in step6. WIN7x64 and a brand new tmobile streak 7. where is this thing? I looked through all the folders and subfolders. :(

EwanG

Jan 16, 2009
San Antonio, TX
500px.com
Drivers.zip is in the main directory of the Streak. Open up ES File Manager or a similar program and you should see it. To get it to your PC, attach the Streak via USB and let it mount as external storage (default behavior I believe).

cidand1

Jan 5, 2009
In my main directory on on my streak, using ES file explorer, i cant seem to find that file. I see acct, cache, config, d, ....etc folders, i scroll down, i see default.prop, init, init_recovery.rc, ...... var files, but i dont see drivers.zip. help :( I need to get honeycomb so I can use skype front facing camera, cause I understand froyo 2.2 can only use the back camera w skype.

Since this should be a common file for all SD7 units, can someone please email that file to me so i can get past step 6. transporter3@zetazetasigma.com :)

Last edited:

EwanG

Jan 16, 2009
San Antonio, TX
500px.com
In my main directory on on my streak, using ES file explorer, i cant seem to find that file. I see acct, cache, config, d, ....etc folders, i scroll down, i see default.prop, init, init_recovery.rc, ...... var files, but i dont see drivers.zip. help :( I need to get honeycomb so I can use skype front facing camera, cause I understand froyo 2.2 can only use the back camera w skype.

From this I gather your Streak did not ship with Honeycomb. That would explain why you didn't find the file as that is something that I gather Dell added when they changed how they shipped it later on. I am not sure what the redistribution rules are for the file, which is why I haven't posted it myself.

That said, I also can't guarantee this process will work for someone starting with Froyo. I do know there may be an issue with which version of CWM you can use in that case. As such, you may want to check one of the other guides to be sure.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
From this I gather your Streak did not ship with Honeycomb. That would explain why you didn't find the file as that is something that I gather Dell added when they changed how they shipped it later on. I am not sure what the redistribution rules are for the file, which is why I haven't posted it myself.
Explain please? Shouldn't drivers be present no matter how it's shipped? Mine came with Froyo with drivers, I OTA'd to HC and I still have them.

cidand1

Jan 5, 2009
Ya I bought this from dell directly about 3 weeks ago. From what I have been reading on XDA, mine is definitely different. Its a tmobile streak 7.

Android 2.2.2
Kernel : 2.6.32.9
OEM ver: GLUNB1A133633
Build : 15420

Another thing I noticed is that even trying to load CWmod through fastboot, my computer does not recognize the DS7 in fastboot mode. The drivers in the fastboot+ADB zip file dont work on my computer as fastboot drivers (or maybe I should try another CPU). My cpu is an AMD 64; running win7 pro 64; i need some serious help.

Last edited:

Marvelous0ne

Jun 4, 2009
I think I bricked!

Ok I followed the directions from here to root my tablet.

http://www.cesgeekbook.com/2011/12/root-dell-streak-7-with-honeycomb-32.html

All went well! Everything worked and I was rooted! did the Superuser7. Clockwork came up and installed. All went right! So I was pleased. I figured I would later than put on a ROM cause it was late. Well was going to do so and tried to go into clockwork via ROM manager. Didn't work! Kept rebooting! So I figured I would try the pother way "Press Power and +" then click to Install from SD Card to go into Clockwork. That didn't work either! Then Now it won't reboot at all! I can get into fastboot and I can get into the bootloader. But that's it! I tried to do a Factory Reset and nothing! it just stays on the Dell boot screen. Anyway to fix the problem? If so, please give me step by step directions on how to do it.

Last edited:

EwanG

Jan 16, 2009
San Antonio, TX
500px.com
Use of ROM Manager is generally discouraged due to unknowns about how the package will work with other ROMs. It also isn't clear to me which version of CWM you were using.

If you can get into fastboot, then you should still be able to use ADB, and I would suggest trying to reinstall CWM as indicated in the first message of this thread. That way at least you should be at a known good spot for us to try and help you get a custom ROM installed.

Marvelous0ne

Jun 4, 2009
Use of ROM Manager is generally discouraged due to unknowns about how the package will work with other ROMs. It also isn't clear to me which version of CWM you were using.

If you can get into fastboot, then you should still be able to use ADB, and I would suggest trying to reinstall CWM as indicated in the first message of this thread. That way at least you should be at a known good spot for us to try and help you get a custom ROM installed.

Didn't know about the Rom Manager issue. I guess it's only good to use on cell phones? Anyway, I am trying again, but the problem is my laptop is now not reading the tablet when in fastboot mode. I have followed all the step again. Including reinstalling the drivers. But since it's not reading the tablet. I can not reinstall CWM. The version I installed was the one from the 1st page. It's a fairly simple thing to do. But just need to get the device to be read by my laptop.

I have contacted Dell and explained to them the problem. They did say that I can return it to get it fixed. but still kind of hoping I can do it from home.

EwanG

Jan 16, 2009
San Antonio, TX
500px.com
Anyway, I am trying again, but the problem is my laptop is now not reading the tablet when in fastboot mode. I have followed all the step again. Including reinstalling the drivers.

Not sure what you mean when you say the laptop is not reading the tablet in fastboot mode. When in fastboot it should NOT show up as attached storage. The best way to tell if it is "really" seeing the Streak 7 is in step 13 - which uses an id rather than a device name so that it should work even if the tablet isn't fully identified. If you try to perform step 13 while in fastboot, what message are you getting?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Obviously this guide owes a huge bunch of thanks to "TheManii", "Giveen" and other folks who can't be named on this forum. I have tested this on both a Streak 7 WiFi and a Streak 7 4G. In both cases they had the Stock Honeycomb already on them. So if you are coming from some other version of Android you may wish to reconsider :D

1) Download the Fastboot+ADB.zip file for Clockwork Mod 5.0.2.7 from the XDA Developers thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334487)

2) Download the Clockwork mod 5.0.2.7 file from the XDA Developers thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334487)

3) Go into Settings->Applications and turn on "Run Applications from Unknown Sources"

4) Go to Development Settings and select "USB Debugging"

5) Unpack the Fastboot+ADB file into a directory on your computer where you can find it again

6) Attach the Streak to your PC, and copy the "Drivers.zip" file from the root directory of the Streak (/sdcard) to the same directory where you unpacked the Fastboot file

7) Turn off your Streak after you have copied this file, and disconnect it from the PC

8) Unpack the drivers.zip file and find the "Setup.MSI" file. Execute this file to install the drivers you will need

9) Put your Streak into Fastboot mode - i.e. turn it off, then turn it on by pressing the Power button while holding the Vol DOWN (-) at the same time. This can take up to 20 seconds

10) You will get some red text followed by a white line saying something about Fastboot USB downloading is active

11) Connect the streak to the PC now, and it should install an Android ADB driver. Depending on what you have already setup you may get some drivers installed successfully, and some not. In general if you've been following this guide, you'll be ok

12) Open a command line for the folder where you have fastboot and your recovery image (ClockWorkMod) - in windows navigate to the folder, and hold the shift key while right clicking

13) On the command line type the following:
    fastboot -i 0x413C flash recovery recovery.img (where recovery.img is the ClockworkMod or other recovery file)

14) On the command line type the following:
    fastboot -i 0x413C reboot

15) Your device should now reboot

16) To get it to reboot into CWM, turn the Streak off, and then turn it on again while holding the Power Button and Volume UP (+) at the same time. This may take up to 30 seconds

From here you would follow the normal CWM options to install just the root files (Superuser7 for one example) or install a custom ROM.
    For any one who gets to the end of the steps and now can boot in go CWM but doesn't know what to do about getting rooted.

Very very Simple.

Download Superuser7.zip
    http://www.tablet-cables.com/streak/tools/root/Superuser7.zip

Have your Streak booted normally and USB cable hooked up.

Move to the internal Memory Superuser7.zip

power off device

Power back on using Vol UP & Power Button

Select 2. Software upgrade via update.pkg on SD card and press power

CWM will load.

Select install zip from sd card and power to enter.

select Choose zip from internal sd card and power.

use Vol UP to go backwards to your files and select Superuser7.zip and hit power

move down to YES - Install Superuser7.zip and hit power

thats it. its rooted.

goto ++++++++ Go Back+++++++

and reboot system now

and let it reboot.

Not necessary, but I'd suggest running Superuser and hitting the Knob icon top right (settings) and scrolling down and updating Super User.

Hope this helps someone who may not know where to get Superuser7 and what to do after following the great guide above.
    How do i install these? And how do i get into CWM?
    Look here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1411193

How to get into CWM is in Post #66
    Did you load a custom ROM after following these steps, or did you just reboot aft getting CWM installed. Usually the flickering comes from an issue with the video driver (so can be software if a bad driver, or hardware if it's only marginally in spec).
    I've been doing some more research/troublehsooting and wondering if I should maybe try StreakMod Recovery instead of CWM as detailed in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=840326

There's a link to troubleshooting the stock recovery overwriting your custom recovery that I thought might be helpful but I'm having trouble loading it and google searches aren't turning up much.

What do you think - go after StreakMod for now, won't do any harm? or try to fix (assuming it's the problem) stock recovery overwriting or should I be able to launch into CWM from fastboot to install SuperUser7. I've been doing some research as well to see if maybe there are another series of keypresses I can use but haven't found much yet either.

I looked at HoneyStreak and not sure if I want to go there yet. And with the problem I'm having now I would have concerns the flash wouldn't finish thru and I'd end up bricked.

Thanks. I'm still stuck :(
    Jacqueline
    I use TWRP on both my devices and prefer it. I used CWM for a short time. I've haven't used many different ROMS on either device.

Everybody seems to run into issues with any device. Anything you try other than stock, you run a risk.