I thought this should be posted on this site, as it is the main site I go to for everything Android. The Mercury is the newest Android from Cricket and is worth talking about since it has a 1.4GHz Snapdragon CPU, FFC, 8MP camera with LED flash, HD video recording, and a 4" FWVGA capacitive touch-screen. I also think that there should be a forum created for this phone.
MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE STEPS BEFORE STARTING!! Additional setups may be required!!
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU MESSING UP YOUR PHONE BY FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS!!!
If your not comfortable with the procedure then don't do it!!!
I'm sure it won't be long before someone smarter than me figures out a one-click method for root.
1. First download su, busybox and Superuser.apk
2. Use ADB to push these 3 files to /data/local/tmp
3. In ADB shell:
$ chmod 6755 /data/local/tmp/su
$ chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
$ chmod 644 /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
4. Shut down phone with the power button/menu.
5. Holding the Vol+ AND Vol- AND Power together when the phone is off will put the phone into a mode that gives you a BRIGHT purple screen....
this is good! Nothing should be happening, just a static purple screen.
6. THIS NEXT STEP HAS TO BE DONE FROM A LINUX DISTRO!
Plug the phone into the computer through USB and you will notice that you can access all of the partitions of the phone with full R/W.
Browse to /data/local/tmp and move su and busybox to /system/bin/
Move Superuser.apk to /system/app/
7. Unplug the phone from USB.
8. Pull the battery out, put it back in, boot the phone normally and ENJOY YOUR NEWLY ROOTED MERCURY!!!
Superuser.apk will need to be updated (found on market).
From inside the Superuser app: update the su binary's.
Download the BusyBox installer from the market and update busybox to the latest version.