[ROM][24 Feb] IceCreamSandwich Development/Discussion Thread

Search This thread

bl1nkk

Jun 16, 2010
Baunatal
mrks.me
IceCreamSandwich Development/Discussion Thread
Hello everyone! This thread is dedicated to Hashcode's and JackpotClavin's work.
This is an Android 4.0.3 ROM not meant for daily use! It is based on CyanogenMod 9.

I will not post any instructions how to flash this to your kindle until it is considered to be ready for daily use. If you know how, feel free to do it.

If you want to join us on IRC:
irc.freenode.net #kindlefire-dev

What works? What doesn't?
revxx14 created a Google Spreadsheet to collect known bugs. You can find it right here.
Please take a look at it before reporting any bugs!

A rough list what does not work:
  • Hardware Video Decoding
  • Light sensor
There is a SOD bug and no, there is no bluetooth.

ROM:
2012-02-24 cm9-02-24.zip
ff4e0ea9c27d28b18226e230e2bf2994 by sitic

Changelog:
+init.d support
+fix default.prop
+Test: Apps use now xlarge layout instead of large
More information here

Google Apps:
gapps-ics-20120224-signed.zip
11b5763810edb732379d39b6df9ccbcf

None needed. :)

The devs do all of this for free, remember that. Buy them a drink!

Last edited:

JackpotClavin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2011
New York
it's actually the vold binary found in /system/bin/vold from cm7 ;-) you'll have to change permissions on it once you push it back to /system/bin/ (i just did a 777), then reboot

that's just to have the sdcard properly mount at both /sdcard and /mnt/sdcard. if you wanna do the mass storage you'll have to download the app and do the commands :) i'm not really a fan of it because unlike other devices, every single filesystem present on our device will mount with the app, so system and data and the sdcard will mount and create like 8 windows on your computer

jutley

Mar 23, 2006
UK
So the zip file above does the sd card mount with that update or not or is a new update file imminent.

Reactions: morbidj

abiezer

Feb 7, 2009
Miami
Any hints as to what is or isn't working? At least a vague Idea? Wifi?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using xda premium

Reactions: atula186

Ongoy

Sep 24, 2010
Wifi works. Video playback (Netflix) and some audio (in Angry Birds) doesn't work. Runs pretty good though.

I'm so excited. Thanks for all your hard work guys. :)

Reactions: aplaceinspace

rukin5197

Jul 26, 2011
I've had some random spouts of sound working. sometimes the keyboard will randomly start making those key noises, and it's started working playing angry birds before, but not for long.

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

The zip above was only meant for other devs to see if they could get the sdcard working but now it's working.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

when could you upload a new zip with sd card fix? I'd try a crack at it myself but don't want to mess up anything.

EDIT: nevermind. Seen the new vold file in the op.

Last edited:

XperiaPlayer

Jul 26, 2011
Manchester
http://www.multiupload.com/Z5QBY3M80T

Flashable zip with working sd, the launcher from CM9 and the USB mount app. I haven't tested it yet (i am about to flash it). If this isn't allowed then please remove it.

Basically its got vold added to bin, the set_perm line in the updater-zip for it, trebuchet in /system/app and the ICS Usb mounter apk in /system/app.

Enjoy :)

big gulps huh?

Aug 30, 2011
Colorado Springs

Flashable zip with working sd, the launcher from CM9 and the USB mount app. I haven't tested it yet (i am about to flash it). If this isn't allowed then please remove it.

Basically its got vold added to bin, the set_perm line in the updater-zip for it, trebuchet in /system/app and the ICS Usb mounter apk in /system/app.

Downloading Now as well. Will report back soon

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

FroyoShark

Sep 12, 2011
Minnesota
youtube.com

I should be able to flash this over the other one just wiping /system without any problems, right?

XperiaPlayer

Jul 26, 2011
Manchester
I also get the error as well, going to see what it is now. (usb mounter ums)

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

If you use my zip you dont need to set the permissions. However if you are doing it on the device (the way described in first post):

adb shell (or terminal emulator)
chmod 777 /system/bin/vold

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

The SD card seems to work if you type this into adb shell:
echo "/dev/block/mmcblk0" > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file

It then pops up on my screen as Removable Device (F:), however windows asks me to format it....

matthend

Feb 4, 2010
Thanks!!!

Just wanted to reiterate that XDA is the greatest forum ever!! Thanks to all of the guys working on this, you are incredible!!!

jutley

Mar 23, 2006
UK
A official alpha would be nice it's abit confusing as who is in charge on this rom seems live everyone is having a dabble here and there for a fully working rom.Good work though guys.

bl1nkk

Jun 16, 2010
Baunatal
mrks.me

I will add this to the OP when I get home later!

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IceCreamSandwich Development/Discussion Thread
    Hello everyone! This thread is dedicated to Hashcode's and JackpotClavin's work.
    This is an Android 4.0.3 ROM not meant for daily use! It is based on CyanogenMod 9.

I will not post any instructions how to flash this to your kindle until it is considered to be ready for daily use. If you know how, feel free to do it.

If you want to join us on IRC:
    irc.freenode.net #kindlefire-dev

What works? What doesn't?
    revxx14 created a Google Spreadsheet to collect known bugs. You can find it right here.
    Please take a look at it before reporting any bugs!

A rough list what does not work:
    • Hardware Video Decoding
    • Light sensor
    There is a SOD bug and no, there is no bluetooth.

ROM:
    2012-02-24 cm9-02-24.zip
    ff4e0ea9c27d28b18226e230e2bf2994 by sitic

Changelog:
    +init.d support
    +fix default.prop
    More information here

Google Apps:
    gapps-ics-20120224-signed.zip
    11b5763810edb732379d39b6df9ccbcf

None needed. :)

The devs do all of this for free, remember that. Buy them a drink!
    Here is a new build:

cm9-02-24.zip
    ff4e0ea9c27d28b18226e230e2bf2994

Changelog:
    +init.d support
    +fix default.prop

Remarks:
    * I'm not sure if init.d is working as it should, to my impression it's executing too early. I've tried to set it such that it executes init.d when the sdcard is ready but convinced that that worked. Could someone test it properly for me?

* I'm breaking with Google's guideline for display sizes here, if you look at that graphic
    screens-ranges.png

you'll note that the Fire is on the edge between the large and xlarge layout for apps. However from the code you see that it is using large layout for apps as it has less then 720 Pixel on the short side. In this build it force apps to go with xlarge layouts, i did that to test if apps looks better and use tablet features. Comments on this are welcome, in particular if there are apps which work significant better with this release. However with next build i think i'll go back to the stock large layout.

This build does not include the new boot animation, as that one is not in the cm sources yet. if you really want it, someone used the image from the youtube video to get the boot animation, follow the instructions on this thread. For the battery percentage display: that are changes from cm, i think they'll make a setting for this soon.

I was working on otg (usb host mode) support, the kernel loads it now, but it fails at loading USB 2.0/1.1 drivers (working on this, it's not included in this build).
    here's the .zip with working video. I've also implemented XDA user Chiggins' better volume slider which is much better than my uglier icon

everybody give Chiggins a big thanks! he's the reason we can have nice things

i also cherry-picked a change that hasn't been officially approved that cleans up and fixes some of the touch input code which fixes a lot of the touch events not doing anything. i saw a difference with touch input, hopefully you guys will too :)

md5sum: 43879eaacc0104af2f935c366cbc0244
    http://www.mediafire.com/?y8eocgddv569mdc

this wipes your /system and /cache so you'll have to reflash gapps which can be done consecutively. HD videos do not play with the youtube app, if you come across an hd video that you'd like to watch, just hit the little HD button and it will drop down to normal resolution and will begin playing after that. the little HD button i'm talking about is here

enjoy folks. i think that's it for the major bugs and missing functionality since we've upgraded to ics, now on to the tinier ones :)
    Sound = Working!! Update probably tonight for everybody! Sorry I had been away for quite some time; I had a string of family emergencies and the death of a loved one earlier this week :( Now just video and we should be set!
    I think what would shutting most people up regarding hardware acceleration is if the developers actually discussed it instead of saying a damn goat died, or a kitten, or a puppy.

Right now there is so much debate on Windows 8's Start Screen and if you EVER checked the Building Windows 8 blog, their blog entries seriously are life stories...so much is explained that it gives little reason to nag about.

If we had any kind of information regarding hardware acceleration, I think a lot of us would shutup including me. BUT because the developers refuse to release an update, we're stuck in the dark with people saying we killed kittens. Seriously grow up, I don't need to shutup and a door slammed in my face.

Release an update regarding hardware acceleration, I have some very big doubts that anybody is working on it...maybe once-a-month effort is put into it, not even. I'd like to know that work is being done on it, then MAYBE I wouldn't be so damn doubtful and MAYBE people would stfu already about it.

I'm sorry and I love the development of ICS for the Kindle Fire, but it has a long way to go. Nothing is quite fluid and from what I hear, hardware video decoding is apparently the same thing as hardware acceleration, and apparently none of that works. I want some fluidity on my Kindle Fire running ICS. I could care less for HD video playback, all of my stuff plays fine in standard definition via MX Player.

It sounds like you need a little insight. Let's see if I can bring you some.

ICS (or Android 4.0.3) is based on the Linux 3.0.x kernel. This kernel (opposed to the previous 2.6.x) has a few new bells and whistles which makes some parts of ICS (HW acceleration for example) dependent on the 3.0.x kernel.

The KF is OMAP based (Texas Instrument platform) and has yet to receive the 3.0.x kernel from Amazon. Without the 3.0.x kernel, we have to back-port (i.e reconstruct the new bells and whistles) to the 2.6.x kernel. This is very tedious and time-consuming.

Today, there are basically two paths on this;
    • Back-port everything necessary to the 2.6.x kernel. This is what Hashcode set up to do initially.
    • Get the 3.0.x kernel booting. TI has a working 3.0.x kernel on their OMAP devices named Blaze. The KF has the Otter board in it. Thus, to get it booting we have to customize the config to match the Otter board and be able to debug why our current one isn't.

Right now, most of the work is poured into getting the new 3.0.x working. Unfortunately, the USB interface is initialized quite late in the kernel boot, which makes it really difficult to debug (we're basically blind). That's why I started a thread in finding the UART pins on the KF, to be able to debug properly.

I hope this gave you some well needed information. And hopefully I didn't just encourage you to keep whining.

Ps. I bet pressing the Donate-button will speed things up a little :)

Code:
    While(whine==true) do
       repost this.post
    end