5,601,298 Members 56,783 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] Rotation Locker v1.4 - Landscape & Portrait lock

Tip us?

madmack
Old
(Last edited by madmack; 30th December 2013 at 02:59 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4281

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP] Rotation Locker v1.4 - Landscape & Portrait lock

Hello everyone.

I wrote this app to allow a user to lock the screen rotation in landscape, portrait or auto. The app is very simple, when you click on it, you're faced with these three options.

Long press on Landscape if you want the app to run as a background service (only use this if landscape mode terminates on its own).

I searched on the Market for an app that would lock the screen in landscape mode and found only one paid app that does it but actually runs a service continuously in the background regardless of the orientation mode. This app is free and the background service is optional

so without further ado . . .

Change log:

v1.4.2 Dec 30 2013
+ Make apk available to google TV devices

v1.4 Nov 20 2012
+ Added a footer note to expose persistent mode better

v1.3 Mar 9 2012
+ Added a widget that will lock into whatever your current phone's orientaion is. Useful for reverse landscape for example

v1.2.2 Feb 23 2012
+ Short click on portrait/auto will behave like default android portrait/auto. If you want to enforce "auto" long press on it (that way, even the apps that don't go into landscape will).

v1.2.1 Feb 9 2012
+ Added ability to run a persistent background service for both Portrait and Auto modes.

v1.2 Jan 2 2012
+ Locale plugin.
+ Long press on search button to run app.

v1.1 Dec 29 2011
Added ability to long press on Landscape to enforce a background service. Only use this if landscape mode seems to exit suddenly and abruptly.

v1.0. Dec 27 2011
-Initial release
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new2.png
Views:	8243
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	834868   Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2012-11-20-112714.png
Views:	1572
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1497337  
Attached Files
File Type: apk Rotation-Locker-v1.4.2.apk - [Click for QR Code] (65.7 KB, 1259 views)
The Following 82 Users Say Thank You to madmack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NCXC
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Cool, works great on my ICS captivate

Sent from my SGH-I897
B.Jay Old
Thanks Meter
Thank you very much for this app, madmack.
That's what I've been looking for since like forever ...

With this I can confirm it works almost perfectly with Android-x86 (2.3rc1); "almost" because sometimes an app starts in portrait mode instead of landscape (exiting the app and re-running your Rotation Locker usually fixes the problem).

At any rate, Android-x86 just became a whole lot more usable at least for me.

madmack
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4281

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Jay View Post
Thank you very much for this app, madmack.
That's what I've been looking for since like forever ...

With this I can confirm it works almost perfectly with Android-x86 (2.3rc1); "almost" because sometimes an app starts in portrait mode instead of landscape (exiting the app and re-running your Rotation Locker usually fixes the problem).

At any rate, Android-x86 just became a whole lot more usable at least for me.
awesome guys. thanks for your confirmation

I went ahead and released it in the market a few hours ago.

B.Jay, does your screen switch to portrait entirely when that happens or is it just localized to certain apps while the Home screen actually remains in landscape? I'm thinking I might have to implement a persistent service to be run in the background when running Landscape mode if landscape seems to suddenly switch off for the entire system.

androidboss7
Old
Thanks Meter 83

DONATE TO ME
Testing.....

Sent from my LG GT540 using xda premium
Don't forget to click the THANKS
button if i helped you out!!!

ANDROIDBOSS7

UKseagull
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Also testing, thanks!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using xda premium

K Dotty
Old
Thanks Meter 357
Didn't work for me, tried with different lookscreen types (ring, slider and lenses) I'm using a cm7 based rom.

Sent by wiggling my big toe

\/ Click thanks instead of posting it, Keep the thread clean \/:P
B.Jay Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmack View Post
B.Jay, does your screen switch to portrait entirely when that happens or is it just localized to certain apps while the Home screen actually remains in landscape? I'm thinking I might have to implement a persistent service to be run in the background when running Landscape mode if landscape seems to suddenly switch off for the entire system.
It's only the app that changes/reverts to portrait mode ... the launcher itself stays in landscape (replaced the stock Gingerbread launcher with LaucherPro, which works perfect in Android-x86). Like I said, when it happens that the app starts in portrait instead of landscape (Google Maps or AndroIRC for example - yes, I managed to successfully inject the Google Apps into Android-x86 to have the Market and stuff) it's sufficient to exit the app, re-run your Locker and start the app anew to have it in landscape mode.

Thanks to your app I'm now able to use my old Eee PC 900A as a Android powered netbook.

Anyway, I'm deeply satisfied with the way it works now, but if you're able to improve the app so it works as a service that keeps the screen orientation locked it would be plain awesome.

vibranturk
Old
Thanks Meter 2295

DONATE TO ME
cool i will try ın ics

Wesku
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Works like a charm on SGS running CyanogenMod.
Thanks, been looking app like this, but none of them worked on my phone