- The "su" binary (command-line interface), but not the "SuperSu" (recommended) or "Superuser" app. You can easily get either app from the Android Market; that has the advantage that you will get notified of updates!
- The "busybox" binary (common Linux command-line tools).
- The "sqlite3" binary (command-line interface to the SQLite library).
- A reference to a minimal set of "Gapps", including the Android Market (which is needed to easily proceed after rooting).
Here is the procedure: http://www.mailpen.com/download/NT16...-Root_1.07.zip (1.1MB)
Unzip the file onto your (Windows or Linux) PC (everything is in the "rooting" subdirectory), and view the ReadMe.txt file. Note that I may occasionally make minor revisions to the ReadMe.txt file without changing the version number of the .ZIP file, but any procedural improvements will result in a new version number.
- Don't use this procedure on the 512MB RAM / 8GB internal storage version !!!
- You must have a sense of total personal responsibility (ie, there is no warranty).
- You must understand command-line operations and utilities in Linux and Windows. In particular, that means you should ALREADY know how to cut lines from the ReadMe.txt file document and paste them into the command line for your PC (in order to save typing and mistakes).
- You must have a basic understand how the Nook Tablet works. That means, don't try to root it within 24 hours of getting it; you need to know how to navigate the device and its settings.
- You must have ALREADY installed on your PC, a command-line version of ADB that has ALREADY established an ADB/USB connection to your Nook Tablet. The XDA-developers forum has plenty of help and expertise in this area. Although this procedure does not use QtADB (a GUI add-on to ADB), I heartily recommend it: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...beginners-gui/
- You must be willing (and know how), if all else fails, to revert to stock B&N v1.4.x unrooted.
- Questions or comments that reveal a sense of entitlement (eg, "when are you going to do xxx", as opposed to "are you going to do xxx") will be ignored or worse.
- Questions or comments that copy most or all of the contents of this message (lack of forum protocol) will be ignored or worse. Note that copying the link above in a message is really, really dumb, as I will be changing it with revisions.
Remaining issues (hopefully eventually resolved):
- If you use the "n" button to access the Nook-specific screens, you may find that it is not obvious how to get back to the Zeam (or other) launcher. You can get back to the Android launcher by using the Nook "Search" screen to search for the name ("Zeam" in this case) of the launcher (this is what I do for the very few times I need to), or you can side-load and install the "HomeCatcher" application (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1357175).
- For sideloading, you can either use ADB (that's what I do), QtADB (see above), or you can install a newer copy of "NT Hidden Settings" (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1400615). If the latter does not work, contact the author of that app, not me (I rarely use sideloading); that is his area of expertise.
- 2011-12-27 v0.1 EXPERIMENTAL: Original (experimental).
- 2011-12-28 v0.2 EXPERIMENTAL: Added missing zergRush.
- 2011-12-28 v0.3 BETA: Fixed missing "/". Extensive ReadMe.txt (manual procedure) revisions.
- 2011-12-29 v0.4 BETA: Added scripts (beta) for a semi-automated approach. The manual procedure is now documented in "ReadMe.old".
- 2011-12-29 v0.5 BETA: Updated to include new "Nt Hidden Settings" app. Cosmetic revisions to file "ReadMe.old". Text files (including scripts) converted to DOS format for Windows weenies ...
- 2011-12-30 v0.6 BETA: Script files split and updated to reflect testing results. File "ReadMe.txt" updated, file "ReadMe.old" removed.
- 2011-12-31 v0.7 BETA: Script files split, so that rooting v1.4.0 is separate. This allows those who have already rooted 1.4.0, to skip that step and proceed directly to upgrading to v1.4.1 while preserving root.
- 2011-12-31 v0.8 RELEASE CANDIDATE: Error in script file "AdbUpdate.cmd" fixed.
- 2012-01-01 v0.9 RELEASE CANDIDATE: Split the script file "AdbUpdate.cmd" (and updated "ReadMe.txt") to support those who are already rooted v1.4.0. Due to the variation in v1.4.0 rooting procedures by others, this latter option is experimental. That means you are on your own if you don't start with (or revert to) a stock (unrooted) v1.4.0.
- 2012-01-02 v0.10 (skipped to avoid confusion).
- 2012-01-02 v0.11 RELEASE CANDIDATE: Convert the script files back to Unix text file format (they now run on Linux as well as Windows).
- 2012-01-05 v0.12 RELEASE CANDIDATE: Minor script simplifications.
- 2012-01-08 v1.00 RELEASED: Minor "ReadMe.txt" additions.
- 2012-01-13 v1.01 RELEASED: Added "busybox" installation.
- 2012-01-16 v1.02 RELEASED: Fixed typo in script comment; other cosmetic changes.
- 2012-01-31 v1.03 RELEASED: Added options for installing/fixing Google Calendar, and other (minor) options.
- 2012-02-21 v1.04 RELEASED: Added support for rooting B&N v1.4.2.
- 2012-03-12 v1.05 RELEASED: Work around ADB command line parsing bug.
- 2012-06-27 v1.06 RELEASED: Added support for rooting B&N v1.4.3.
- 2013-01-03 v1.07 RELEASED: Bug fix: Forgot to add new files referenced in updated scripts!
You may copy my work into other works, but please give credit. Similarly, let me know if I have not given adequate credit for the work of others.
- Don't use this procedure on the 512MB RAM / 8GB internal storage version !!! The problem is not with this procedure per se, but with the fact that reverting to v1.4.0 will install boot software that assumes that your NT has 1GB of RAM.
- There is now a general/universal capability for "sidebooting" an NT from an SDcard (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1466583 ), that is virtually guaranteed to work with all future revisions of NT firmware from B&N. While my procedure above is well-tested by me (and it's what I use), those having problems with it, may be well-advised to try the bootable SDcard solution.