[fastboot] stock 6.2.1 fastboot mode without rooting or cables

Search This thread

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
All you need is working adb and fastboot on your PC.

Just like doing "idme bootmode 4002" in 6.2 but working in 6.2.1.

Download the attached fbmode.zip and run:

Code:
adb push fbmode /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/fbmode
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fbmode
adb reboot

Then follow instructions to flash TWRP or whatever.

Experimental Version 0.9: includes nbmode for setting normal boot (4000) and rcmode for setting recovery boot (5000). Untested, PM me if there's a problem.

Attachments

• fbmode.zip
    255.7 KB · Views: 81,701
  • fbmode-0.9.zip
    767 KB · Views: 27,255
Last edited:

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
This should allow users who chmod'd/deleted /system and no longer have root to reboot to fastboot, correct?

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
I haven't tested it in that scenario, but it should. It shouldn't need anything more than adb. It's even static since I was too lazy to figure out why I was having trouble with shared libs.

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
I haven't tested it in that scenario, but it should. It shouldn't need anything more than adb. It's even static since I was too lazy to figure out why I was having trouble with shared libs.

Confirmed, works fine for ppl that screwed off /system without a recovery.

*Stickyfied for awesomeness.

Last edited:

lucien12

Dec 27, 2011
hello
thanks for your help
but it doensn't work for me
i booted the KF with the standard usb cable to use ADB
but refused this line : "adb shell /data/local/tmp/fbmode"
and impossible to go further
thanks if you have an idear
jluc

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
hello
thanks for your help
but it doensn't work for me
i booted the KF with the standard usb cable to use ADB
but refused this line : "adb shell /data/local/tmp/fbmode"
and impossible to go further
thanks if you have an idear
jluc

First make sure adb i even functioning
Code:
adb shell

if you get a $ or # prompt then it is,
then exit
Code:
exit

then
Code:
adb reboot

thepsman

Jan 30, 2009
Worked like a charm recovering a bricked KF 6.2.1.
applied this, installed TWRP, modified the driver, rebooted in recovery, and installed the stock update to 2.6.1 without wiping.

Now my KF is working again. this would have been a sad long day if you weren't here. thanks pokey9000

jonas3d

Aug 20, 2010
Thanks a ton! This works great! Any chance you're willing to release the source code to this?

ilanlen

Jan 29, 2010
done that. device reboot and then pc show device as "unknown".
tried to install recovery no good. device not found.
only after "reboot normal" the pc find the device but then its like before: abdb cannot ......
please help

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
only after "reboot normal" the pc find the device but then its like before: abdb cannot ......
please help

Sounds like you have a problem with fastboot on your PC. Search in General, there are a bunch of threads on this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

Reactions: Muddquez

osozraz

Dec 26, 2011
Worked like a charm recovering a bricked KF 6.2.1.
applied this, installed TWRP, modified the driver, rebooted in recovery, and installed the stock update to 2.6.1 without wiping.

Now my KF is working again. this would have been a sad long day if you weren't here. thanks pokey9000

Did the same but did wipe. Now my Fire is stuck in the Kindle Fire logo. It doesn´t flash like before, but i wait more than 20 minutes and it doesn´t pass the logo.

:(:(

I´ll try with the factory cable when the pieces arrive.

Supercluster

Feb 6, 2011
Did the same but did wipe. Now my Fire is stuck in the Kindle Fire logo. It doesn´t flash like before, but i wait more than 20 minutes and it doesn´t pass the logo.

:(:(

I´ll try with the factory cable when the pieces arrive.

Yes. This didn't really do anything for me.
Got excited when someone said that this should work for people who had screwed the system permissions.

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

Okay okay. I won't question the usefulness of this again.

Got TWRP installed via the use of the OP. Had the yellow traingle crap happen but got around that with this advice:http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/12/27/how-to-solve-stuck-at-yellow-triangle-issue-on-kindle-fire/

Cheers pokey9000. Saved the day.

Cheers

Matt V

Jun 19, 2010
Can someone help me out? I'm trying to get this working and after I type in adb shell I get this message:

exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: no such file or directory (2)

Any ideas? My KF is stuck on the notorious "your Kindle Fire has detected a problem" screen. I'm also looking at this thread but I'm thoroughly confused.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1423099

I also tried the command in the first post and after adb push fbmode I get:

cannot start 'fbmode': no such file or directory

Last edited:

Matt V

Jun 19, 2010
A little more info, when I go to the Amazon Kindle USB Device properties in Device Manager, under Volumes I click populate and I get this.

propertiesl.jpg

Basically my attempt at a partition using partition utility went horribly wrong.

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
A little more info, when I go to the Amazon Kindle USB Device properties in Device Manager, under Volumes I click populate and I get this.

propertiesl.jpg

Basically my attempt at a partition using partition utility went horribly wrong.

Do you have FIREFIREFIRE or TWRP installed? The best route is to install FFF 1.1 if you can, rebuild the partition table, then install the stock image from TWRP.

Matt V

Jun 19, 2010
I don't have anything installed, flashing the 6.2.1 update.zip removed everything. Is there a way to install FFF or TWRP without getting it to boot? I get the system/bin error anytime I try to execute anything in KFU.

osozraz

Dec 26, 2011
I don't have anything installed, flashing the 6.2.1 update.zip removed everything. Is there a way to install FFF or TWRP without getting it to boot? I get the system/bin error anytime I try to execute anything in KFU.

We are in the same situation. Without a working shell we are screwed. If only we could execute this without calling adb shell, but i think that´s impossible. Try to buy/build a factory cable to boot in fastboot. I´m still waiting for the pieces to build mine, will report when done.

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
We are in the same situation. Without a working shell we are screwed. If only we could execute this without calling adb shell, but i think that´s impossible. Try to buy/build a factory cable to boot in fastboot. I´m still waiting for the pieces to build mine, will report when done.

Factory cable is probably your best route, though if you don't mind opening your Fire you could do this instead: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1405052&highlight=rekindle which will get you TWRP and FFF installed. Instead of using the FFF included (u-boot.bin) you should get the newer 1.1 release and run "fastboot oem format" before running "fastboot boot..." to put your partitions back to normal.

Reactions: osozraz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All you need is working adb and fastboot on your PC.

Just like doing "idme bootmode 4002" in 6.2 but working in 6.2.1.

Download the attached fbmode.zip and run:

Code:
    adb reboot

Then follow instructions to flash TWRP or whatever.

Experimental Version 0.9: includes nbmode for setting normal boot (4000) and rcmode for setting recovery boot (5000). Untested, PM me if there's a problem.
    Thanks a ton! This works great! Any chance you're willing to release the source code to this?

No, I'm hoping to make it a little harder for Amazon to close this up. That said, you could recreate this very quickly from an strace.

please help

Sounds like you have a problem with fastboot on your PC. Search in General, there are a bunch of threads on this.

Factory cable is probably your best route, though if you don't mind opening your Fire you could do this instead: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1405052&highlight=rekindle which will get you TWRP and FFF installed. Instead of using the FFF included (u-boot.bin) you should get the newer 1.1 release and run "fastboot oem format" before running "fastboot boot..." to put your partitions back to normal.
    Install teamviewer and pm me numbers I will assist you with some holiday cheer preferably windows 7 I'm not a Mac guy never will be.