Ask a question

No registration required

Replacement SystemUI.apk v2: Permanent back and menu buttons, n as Home button

OP revcompgeek

28th December 2011, 11:26 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 39

8 posts
I have been tweaking the SystemUI application, changing the way a few things work.

Installation Instructions
  1. Download SystemUI.apk
  2. Make sure /system is remounted R/W. This can be done with Root Explorer or ES File Explorer. If you get a "Read-only filesystem" error this is the step you missed.
  3. Replace /system/app/SystemUI.apk with the downloaded one.
    At this point it is normal for the status bar to disappear. If it starts Force Closing repeatedly, pasting again should stop it so that you can continue to fix the permissions.
  4. Make sure the file is owned by the root user and group.
  5. Make sure the permissions of the file are 644, or read, write for user and read for group and other.
  6. Reboot and enjoy!
I plan on adding killing the current application by long-tapping the back button like CyanogenMod. I can probably add other tweaks if requested.

Changelog
Version 2:
  • No more QuickNav bar when you press the n button
  • n button acts like a standard Home button
Version 1:
  • Permanent back and menu buttons
Last edited by revcompgeek; 30th December 2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Adding version
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to revcompgeek For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th December 2011, 11:59 AM   |  #2  
Flag Albuquerque, NM
Thanks Meter: 97

267 posts
Donate to Me
Hm.. seems to be an early beta... we're trying to work the kinks out of it... but it seems to have some problems right now. (When does anyone release anything right the first time?)

----

I've got it, and it all works as advertised now. I'm rolling it into my update-package, and yay. ... I really need to find a way to get this package out there...
Last edited by cfoesch; 29th December 2011 at 02:14 AM.
28th December 2011, 12:06 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Whoops, forgot Certs the first time around. Download the attachment again, this new one should work great!
Last edited by revcompgeek; 28th December 2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Forgot Certs.
28th December 2011, 12:06 PM   |  #4  
Flag NRW
Thanks Meter: 56

282 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thanks for that. I tested it in settings and no back button! (permissions changed)

Edit: Now it works. This is great! Thanks
Last edited by Elmar1801; 28th December 2011 at 10:42 PM.
28th December 2011, 01:20 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 27

136 posts
Great idea! Have you though about changing the default icons for the status bar?
28th December 2011, 01:24 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
That is extremely easy to do, but I don't have much artistic talent, so I'm not going to make them from scratch. What would you like to see replaced?
28th December 2011, 01:29 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 27

136 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by revcompgeek

That is extremely easy to do, but I don't have much artistic talent, so I'm not going to make them from scratch. What would you like to see replaced?

I've had lots of fun in the past replacing most icons with those like the Suave HD Redone pack on my Epic 4g. I'll probably wind up doing the same on here.

Here's a link to the forum post. He originally did it for MIUI but you can rip out the icons and put them in any ROM/Launcher.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1330577
28th December 2011, 06:17 PM   |  #8  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 94

577 posts
More
So far works great! If you could manage the book button as a home button, I could stop using button savior. Is that possible?

Sent from my BNTV250 using xda premium
28th December 2011, 07:46 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Check the first post again. The n button acts like the Home button now.
The Following User Says Thank You to revcompgeek For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th December 2011, 10:35 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 139

704 posts
after using your SystemUI.apk, my n button has completely stopped working. i simply just did as you said in your post "replace the SystemUI.apk". I am now stuck with not being able to use the n button for anything. Any ideas on how to get it to work correctly? are there any permissions or anything that i need to set?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread