Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,949 Members 43,440 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[FAQ] NT Reference Thread | Tips&Tricks | How to's | Videos | NEW USER? PLEASE READ!

Tip us?

lavero.burgos
Old
(Last edited by lavero.burgos; 27th July 2012 at 06:26 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,308

DONATE TO ME
Question [FAQ] NT Reference Thread | Tips&Tricks | How to's | Videos | NEW USER? PLEASE READ!

Hello NT users after read for several days i have realised that many of you NOOBS fall into issues while rooting, reverting to stock, unrooting, etc. so i decided to create a thread about Tips & Tricks i have found so far by users that has managed to find a fix, that way we help others. Off course you can post here any tip, fix, how to that i haven't posted and i will update the OP.

~ FAQ | NOOK TABLET REFERENCE THREAD ~

NEW PUBLIC MIRROR FOR USERS THAT CAN'T ACCESS THE NECESSARY FILES, APPS AND VIDEOS TO ROOT OUTSIDE USA

IM NEW TO ANDROID, NEW TO THIS FORUM AND DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START?

16GB NT USER:
Code:
CASE#1: i like and use B&N apps i was to stick with stock but i wan't be able to use the most features as possible and not figure it out and troubleshoot so many things in the way then for those people i recommend stock 1.4.0 simple than that. 
Albert and I have posted modified, rooted stock 1.4.0 ROM's so you simply get into CWM and flash them, period.
But If you are the kind of person and also want to learn how to do it from scratch and modify to your taste then use one of the so many methods posted in development section to root: there are 2 options root by using adb and root by using a bootable sdcard - PLEASE check post#2 for video-tutorials.

Brief history of the creation of the sdcard method: many users were having issues setting up adb and making drivers for nook tablet get recognized by windows so they were not able to root so it is why sdcard method was released. and as users were having issues setting up sdcard aswell was created the "burn this image to your sdcard with win32diskimager, method which still some users have issues and i remember have read of one user that after user that bricked his device using the last method mentioned... Oh well there is always risk!!!

ONCE ROOTED YOU CAN USE recovery flasher app TO INSTALL ClockWorkMod (CWM)

PROs OF SDcard METHOD: no use of PC
CONs OF SDcard METHOD: you still have to setup your sdcard, format it with fat32 file system and set first partition to Active or LBA: boot (linux) and if that does work then burn the root image to your sdcard using win32diskimager.

CASE#2: By the other hand if you are the kind of user that don't use (maybe hate) B&N service/apps then good news you have 3 options to pick from: CM7, CM9 and MIUI.

Now if you want to go straight to one of the ROM's mentioned (CM7, CM9 or MIUI) then you simply can prepare a sdcard to boot ClockworkMod (CWM) from it . For that please check here -METHOD #1 and here to know how to set it up!.
Once you re able to boot into CWM from sdcard you can now go ahead and download the ROM of your preference, copy it to your internal sdcard (MyNOOK) and flash it in CWM >> Install .zip from sdcard >> choose .zip from internal sdcard >> pick the copied .zip package and flash it, reboot device and VOILA!
8GB NT USER:
Code:
WARNING!
There is not much support for 8GB model, infact you are limited to stock 1.4.2, CM7 sdcard ROM and CM9 internal. Only those you can intall/flash so far & if you attempt to flash any other ROM e.x: stock 1.4.0, CM7 internal, MIUI, acclaim-update.zip, etc...
¡¡¡YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!!
You can root stock 1.4.2 using the official Root for Nook Tablet 8GB (w/ Android Market) You can download and when necessary make use of stock 1.4.2 from here You can make use of Clockworkmod (CWM) booting from sdcard - Thanks to @meghd00t

QUICK TIPS & TRICKS
  • How to boot into CWM: hold pwr + N and wait for the N dark screen comes up then let go of the power button while still holding the N button
  • How to take screenshots on Nook Tablet: N + Volume Down
  • How to erase/deregister (Wipe Data): Go to Settings> Device Info> Erase and Deregister Device - This will clean your data (All your sideloaded apps and settings will be gone)
  • How to make a hard reset (factory system reset) - This reset will de-registers your device as well as erases all local content such as contacts, sideloaded documents, personal information, 4 digit passcodes, etc. and re-install necessary software.
-----------------------
  • Rebooting your tablet results in usbdebugg deactivation, EVEN IF IT SHOWS TO BE CHECKED. Every time you reboot you must uncheck and recheck usb debugging and uncheck automount.
  • Working must have apps for sideload: Facebook, Gmail, Youtube, Amazon AppStore, etc.
  • Use Sideload Wonder Machine to Sideload Android Apps all you want. You need to have USB debugging enabled.
  • it is better to install a launcher since the stock one doesn’t display apps that are not purchased via B&N Market by default.
  • Once you install a launcher, you can access it via Home->Search. Type the launcher name in there.
  • When the Back button isn't there, a swipe from right to left on the status does the job (this will work if you keep the stock Status Bar)
  • Use Anycut and/or Hidden Settings app to create shortcuts and have access to "hidden settings"
  • Use Nook Color Apps Manager to add other sideloaded apps to the Nook home screen.

HOW TO's MADE BY ME

CWM (ClockWork Mod) ISSUES
  • WARNING: if you installed CWM do NOT perform a Hard factory reset and/or erase & deregister (within B&N settings) as it doesn't work and could possibly mess up your device even more.
    In CWM Wipe Data is the equivalent of erase & deregister and it is safe to use. To restore your system read the TIP below.
  • How to recover my system after i messed up and i have access only to CWM ?
    answer: You can fix your system by installing a flashable zip or CWM backup containing a complete working system with root, apps and tweaks included (You lucky)
    1.4.0 ROM + Root + Apps + Mods flash in CWM > backup & restore > restore - thanks to me
    1.4.0 ROM + NTV4.5 Root flash in CWM > backup & restore > restore - thanks to @AlbertWertz
    1.4.1 ROM This is a flashable zip for CWM - thanks to @cobrato

-----------------------------------------

UNBRICK METHODS

GENERAL ISSUES, TIPS, TRICKS, FIXES

EYE CANDY TWEAKS

ROOTING ISSUES

REVERTING TO STOCK ISSUES

UNROOTING ISSUES

DRIVERS ISSUES

One of the nastiest problem you can face is when some other (wrong) drivers are already installed on your PC, especially if you have Android SDK installed, rooted a different Android device before, etc. In this case you’ll have to completely remove them from your PC or use a different computer. An ideal tool for this is Nirsoft’s USB Device View (download here, it is free), Unzip it somewhere in a folder and launch USBDeview.exe. Look under the description tab and remove every driver containing ADB letters and restart your PC. Try to install the downloaded USB Drivers again. In my case this procedure removed some previous ADB drivers used to root my Kindle Fire and my Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket.
Source: http://reviewhorizon.com

SG Captivate - PAC ROM 4.2.2 | SGS2X - CM10.1 4.2.2 | NOOK Tablet - CM10.1 4.2.2 |

If i helped you please hit
button -
Your files everywhere! Get dropbox 2GB+250mb free: http://db.tt/9DHo4Gi

VIDEO TUTORIALS
My XDA FTP Folder ~ GDrive Folder ~ My XDA Threads
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to lavero.burgos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lavero.burgos
Old
(Last edited by lavero.burgos; 14th February 2012 at 06:48 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,308

DONATE TO ME
Angry [VIDEO COLLECTION] For Root, Apps and General Troubleshooting

Albert Wertz has created a channel in youtube and uploaded many videos to help users with a step by step video tutorials so it gets easier to Root, troubleshoot, etc your Nook Tablet.

~ NOOK TABLET VIDEO COLLECTION ~
by @albertwertz

Main thread: [Q and A] Root w/ Video Instructions, NEW Root PATCH ADB Hijack[12/31/11]
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/albertcwertz?feature=watch

CM9 PROGRESS - Thanks to @AndroidNemith @fat_tire @chrmhoffmann

• Bypass registration of Nook Tablet
  • How to Root Nook Tablet Part 1 USB drivers and Debugging
  • How to Root Nook Tablet Part 2 USB drivers and Debugging

• How to Block Barnes and Noble OTA for Nook Tablet
  • Indirect's ADB Root Hijack APP
  • NOOK Tablet CWM Install app and how to make Flash Zip files for CWM

• How to restore a CWM backup containing a Custom ROM
  • How to Restore back to 1.4.0, sideload, and root using SDcard on Nook Tablet
  • CWM Entry on 1.4.1 and Registering for BN content

• Another Nook Tablet Troubleshooting Root Video and more
  • Custom SD Card Rooting 1.4.1 Nook Tablet
  • How to make a Custom Nook Tablet Root SD card

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to lavero.burgos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lavero.burgos
Old
(Last edited by lavero.burgos; 1st February 2012 at 10:31 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,308

DONATE TO ME
I updated the Start Post with new tips and how to's

Veronica
SG Captivate - PAC ROM 4.2.2 | SGS2X - CM10.1 4.2.2 | NOOK Tablet - CM10.1 4.2.2 |

button -

VIDEO TUTORIALS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lavero.burgos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

O_G
Old
(Last edited by O_G; 1st January 2012 at 05:36 PM.)
Senior Moderator - Life Can't Beat Me
Thanks Meter 4,962
Thanks for the thread. It is most useful. Its just not development, so i will move it to general and sticky it. It will be useful to new users.

Moved to General

Cleaned some posts Dont be offended if i deleted your post, i just want to keep this thread nice and tidy
Age, catamite - fac mihi hunc diem felicissimum

krier32
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default SideLoad Wonder Machine

Does the Sideload Wonder Machine allow you to sideload apps on NT 1.4.1?

TeamKATT
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Last night I rooted my wifes NT followed everything step by step indirects thread pulled up and the videos from youtube.

Everything worked perfectly and I installed the Honeycomb Launcher.

Next went into setting up TB to prevent the OTA's...still working fine

Started putting all my wife's books and everything else of hers on there and then I get a Honeycomb Launcher (mobi.SyndicationApps) is not working. Force Close...Force Close it...the launcher loads back up...same error message...hit force close...loads back up...same error message.

It would not let me do anything else except hit force close.

So I did the reset with the power button and the volume buttons 8 times.

Gonna try to root it again when I get off of work so my question is did I do something wrong in the root process/preventing the OTAs, or is this just a bug with Honeycomb and I should try a different launcher, or was it just some freak thing that has never happened to anyone else before? (I searched the forum all day looking for an answer but did not turn up anything useful)

SCClockDr
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Honycomb is working here. Rooted via Indirect's script. Seems very solid.

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk

R
George
Regards
George

SM-G900V KK (Rooted)
SGN8013 JB (Rooted)
Droid Razr Maxx JB (Rooted) WiFi only

lavero.burgos
Old
(Last edited by lavero.burgos; 3rd January 2012 at 02:47 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,308

DONATE TO ME
NEW! It seems that the acclaim_update.zip file from goo-insideme.com it's having issues, so if you are having troubles making it work then download from here

Start Post Updated!

button -

VIDEO TUTORIALS

xToxicInferno
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Here is a quick tip, on Indirect's newest version of his rooting script, it gives you the option to install which launcher you want right in the script (great idea btw) however when you select GO launcher it will take away the status bar on GO launcher home screen and disable (or maybe make it act as home button on single press) the n button. This is a issue as you can't go to the shop or library without going into another app first. The workaround i found for this was as such:

While rooting, choose Honeycomb launcher as your default launcher instead of GO launcher (if that is the one you so desire). Once you finish the root, go to the market place, download GO launceher EX and then simply uninstall Honeycomb Launcher.

I figured this tip will help a few people out.

Also not that i can vouch for it as i haven't done it myself, i would imagine instead of having to unroot and reroot to fix the issue, if you installed a different launcher (such as ADW launcher) then uninstalled GO launcher, then re installed it, then uninstall the other launcher, it would fix the issue. But that is simple guessing, so take it how you will.

(Just link to this post in the OP if you you like it, if you do i will delete this line via edit)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xToxicInferno For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lavero.burgos
Old
(Last edited by lavero.burgos; 1st February 2012 at 08:29 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,308

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xToxicInferno View Post
Here is a quick tip, on Indirect's newest version of his rooting script, it gives you the option to install which launcher you want right in the script (great idea btw) however when you select GO launcher it will take away the status bar on GO launcher home screen and disable (or maybe make it act as home button on single press) the n button. This is a issue as you can't go to the shop or library without going into another app first. The workaround i found for this was as such:

While rooting, choose Honeycomb launcher as your default launcher instead of GO launcher (if that is the one you so desire). Once you finish the root, go to the market place, download GO launceher EX and then simply uninstall Honeycomb Launcher.

I figured this tip will help a few people out.

Also not that i can vouch for it as i haven't done it myself, i would imagine instead of having to unroot and reroot to fix the issue, if you installed a different launcher (such as ADW launcher) then uninstalled GO launcher, then re installed it, then uninstall the other launcher, it would fix the issue. But that is simple guessing, so take it how you will.

(Just link to this post in the OP if you you like it, if you do i will delete this line via edit)
Thaks for the tip i will link it but the one post you made in another thread which is better explained.

Edit: OP updated with NEW TIPS!

Veronica

button -

VIDEO TUTORIALS

Tags
b&n, nook, table, tips, tricks