[DEV]Samsung Exhibit II 4G(Tmobile)

Search This thread

AndroidSamurai

24g7kef.jpg

*Samsung Exhibit II 4G Development Thread*

Contents:

Intro

1- Rooting Your Exhibit II 4G(How-To w/drivers)

2- Device Tweaks and Useful Software

3- Roms

4- Download Samsung SGH-T679 Source Here

5- Want to go back to stock? View THIS thread...

6- Download TitaniumBackup.zip and unzip it in the root of your /sdcard. Use Titanium Backup to restore the stock System Apps if you need them. (This is in the case you "accidentally" delete them and want to restore stock system apps)

7- Want to learn how to theme and customize? Click Here

8- ClockWorkMod(CWM) 5 Recovery(display fixed) by jocala Download

Extract the zip to your sdcard(internal) and not external_sd

*Flash Recovery via adb*

adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
reboot recovery

*NOTE* the part of the "dd" command "mmcblk0p13" includes a ZERO(0) and not an o.

Hi and welcome to the "Semi-Official" Samsung Exhibit II 4G Development thread! Please keep in mind that all Info/Links/Roms/Kernels, etc. will be updated frequently as this is a Work In Progress[WIP].

This thread has been created for Development Chat Only! Please keep all questions not related to direct development in the thread located HERE. Thank You for your cooperation!

Now let's get to the Good Stuff!!

*1*
Rooting Your Exhibit II 4G(How-To w/drivers)

Fortunately we have been able to gain root access using the Zerg Rush method. Use the instructions below to gain root on your Exhibit II 4G.

A. Download SGH-T679 USB Drivers(I have hosted them for you)

B. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your Exhibit II by going to Settings/Applications/Development and checking USB debugging.

C. Go ahead and unzip the USB drivers from section A and plug in your Exhibit II to the Computer.

D. When the "Installing New Hardware" or "Installing Drivers" notification comes up, please direct your computer to the unzipped directory. *Some with Windows 7 will not have to worry about this as your computer will automatically install the correct drivers*

E. Download Zerg Rush Root.zip(I have hosted it for you)

F. Unzip Zerg Rush Root.zip and run the batch file(runme.bat)

G. Sit back and watch as your Exhibit II 4G is rooted!

*2*
Device Tweaks and Useful Software

A. Getting Rid of Stock Software or "Bloatware"
1. swonsay's Remove Bloatware Script Find it HERE
2. System App Remover(Not free $1.02, but it works well)
3. Titanium Backup * root(free)

B. Apps that are "Safe to Remove"

-AnalogClock.apk
-Browser.apk(Only if you use an alternative browser i.e. Opera Mini, Dolphin Browser/HD, Firefox)
-Dlna.apk
-DownloadProviderUI.apk
-DualClock.apk
-DualClock.apk
-IQ-tmobile-release-signed-zipaligned-v1.1....
-JobManager.apk
-KiesAir.apk
-MobileBackup-unsigned_v3.3.02.apk
-MyFiles.apk(Only if you have an alternative File Browser i.e. Astro File Manager)
-SamsungWidget_Program...
-Swype.apk
-TetheringManager2.apk(Only if you don't use T-Mo's tethering service)
-TouchWizCalendar.apk
-TouchWizCalculator.apk
-TwCalendarAppWidget.apk
-VideoPlayer.apk(Only if you have an alternative video player i.e. Mx Video Player which I recommend as it plays all video formats and uses the Hardware Acceleration on our phone)
-VoiceRecorder.apk
-WiFi-Calling.apk(If you don't use it)
-ZinioSettingsProvider.v2.03.3331.TMobile....
-sihome-signed-tmo-android-8.apk
-talkback.apk
-tmobile_m4m_3_0_15.signed...
-vvm-signed.apk

....more to come

*3*
Roms

Peach Sunrise By Jocala

RebelROM 1.41 By bpear96

d0362c99-c116-2526.jpg

d0362c99-c131-3591.jpg

d0362c99-c14f-d1d5.jpg

d0362c99-c164-fec4.jpg

Please stay tuned for updates and additions

Don't forget to vote for the Exhibit 2 4G in the Device Forum Voting Thread

Last edited:

AndroidSamurai

Reserved

Meet the Exhibit II Dev Team:

KemikalElite Samsung Exhibit II Wiki Editor

bpear96 Rom Dev RebelRom

VanillaTbone ICS Dev/apk Dev

Edubyah Deodexed Stock Roms/Themes

swonsay Bloatware removal script/Kernel Dev

jocala Rom Dev/CWM 5 Dev Peach Sunrise Rom/ClockworkMod 5.5.0.4

s0unds Kernel Dev

We would like to invite you to join us on IRC by pointing your IRC Software to irc.geekshed.net and join the channel #exhibit2dev.

If you need help using ADB(Android Debug Bridge) please download my ADB for "Dummies" Guide and install my ADB AIO(All In One) application which installs the Android SDK and sets up ADB for you.... See Below V

uosd4.png

ADB for Dummies Guide

ADB for Dummies AIO(All In One) App'

If you use my guide and/or app, please THANK me...

File Hosting is brought to you by:​
mediafire.jpg

Last edited:

AndroidSamurai

"Safe to remove apps" list added

Maybe a what not 2 delete from the phone list will be nice........ thank you

I have added a list of "Safe to Remove" apps that I have currently verified to be 100% Safe to Remove. Will add more as I test them out, but I have already soft-bricked my phone once and am trying not to repeat the process.

Thanks again for your suggestion. :D

dswaggz

Jun 12, 2010
This is so awesome u guys rocc now let's make our phone a beast :)

sent from my exhibit 2 greatness

stab244

Dec 17, 2009
Bay Area
In case it is beneficial, I did manage to freeze the actual TouchWiz launcher after installing another launcher first. Phone still works fine. Regular lockscreen is still there after that. I do use MagicLocker as well so we might be able to remove that. Just need to know what file to freeze.

Reactions: AndroidSamurai

mrazndead

Aug 7, 2011
This is great news. Cant wait to get ics on samsung exhibit 2. What can i do to help? My skills are excellent in user interface design, mobile graphics.

AndroidSamurai

I will contact you via PM here on the forums when your skills are needed. Thanks again for your contribution...

Currently downloading a stock recovery image so I can finally fix my Exhibit II after screwing with internal files. Should be about 2 hrs or so before we see the Dev thread updated once more with another tutorial...

*UPDATE*
swonsay's Bloatware Removal Script is in the testing stages as I have been sent a copy to test.

Stay tuned to the Dev thread for the release date information.

Irate Iguana

Feb 25, 2011
Terribly sorry to crowd the thread with non dev info, but there is a forum open at Androidforums.com we could use if you guys want to. Maybe after development gets further along and we need multiple threads for things? androidforums.com/samsung-exhibit-2-4g/ Just wanted to put that out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: hotsauce126

lolitsjae

Dec 1, 2011
Houston/Austin, TX
Thank you so much every dev out there working on developing cjustom ROM for the exhibit 2!!! if any help is needed on making icons or any design work please let me know! I'll do everything in my power to help!

Edubyah

Jul 1, 2010
Mobile
Themed Builds

So my trusty auto de-odexer didn't work so here's try 2. I just hope I don't get it all themed up and no way to flash it. If anybody needs any stock pieces just message (ex. recov. , framework, whole ROM)

Irate Iguana

Feb 25, 2011
When we get around to custom kernels and ROMs, is there anyway you guys could make the captivate keys blink like an LED notification light? I tried the keylights app, but all it does is FC :/.

majakat

Dec 31, 2010
I have it rooted, unlocked connected to ATT with 3G speeds and able to wifi tether through barnacle wifi tethering , Check the box Skip wpa_supplicant, and go to channel 6. It is working like a charm, able to tether my tablet to it!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    24g7kef.jpg

*Samsung Exhibit II 4G Development Thread*

Contents:

Intro

1- Rooting Your Exhibit II 4G(How-To w/drivers)

2- Device Tweaks and Useful Software

3- Roms

4- Download Samsung SGH-T679 Source Here

5- Want to go back to stock? View THIS thread...

6- Download TitaniumBackup.zip and unzip it in the root of your /sdcard. Use Titanium Backup to restore the stock System Apps if you need them. (This is in the case you "accidentally" delete them and want to restore stock system apps)

7- Want to learn how to theme and customize? Click Here

8- ClockWorkMod(CWM) 5 Recovery(display fixed) by jocala Download

Extract the zip to your sdcard(internal) and not external_sd

*Flash Recovery via adb*

adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
    reboot recovery

*NOTE* the part of the "dd" command "mmcblk0p13" includes a ZERO(0) and not an o.

Hi and welcome to the "Semi-Official" Samsung Exhibit II 4G Development thread! Please keep in mind that all Info/Links/Roms/Kernels, etc. will be updated frequently as this is a Work In Progress[WIP].

This thread has been created for Development Chat Only! Please keep all questions not related to direct development in the thread located HERE. Thank You for your cooperation!

Now let's get to the Good Stuff!!

*1*
    Rooting Your Exhibit II 4G(How-To w/drivers)

Fortunately we have been able to gain root access using the Zerg Rush method. Use the instructions below to gain root on your Exhibit II 4G.

A. Download SGH-T679 USB Drivers(I have hosted them for you)

B. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your Exhibit II by going to Settings/Applications/Development and checking USB debugging.

C. Go ahead and unzip the USB drivers from section A and plug in your Exhibit II to the Computer.

D. When the "Installing New Hardware" or "Installing Drivers" notification comes up, please direct your computer to the unzipped directory. *Some with Windows 7 will not have to worry about this as your computer will automatically install the correct drivers*

E. Download Zerg Rush Root.zip(I have hosted it for you)

F. Unzip Zerg Rush Root.zip and run the batch file(runme.bat)

G. Sit back and watch as your Exhibit II 4G is rooted!

*2*
    Device Tweaks and Useful Software

A. Getting Rid of Stock Software or "Bloatware"
    1. swonsay's Remove Bloatware Script Find it HERE
    2. System App Remover(Not free $1.02, but it works well)
    3. Titanium Backup * root(free)

B. Apps that are "Safe to Remove"

-AnalogClock.apk
    -Browser.apk(Only if you use an alternative browser i.e. Opera Mini, Dolphin Browser/HD, Firefox)
    -Dlna.apk
    -DownloadProviderUI.apk
    -DualClock.apk
    -DualClock.apk
    -IQ-tmobile-release-signed-zipaligned-v1.1....
    -JobManager.apk
    -KiesAir.apk
    -MobileBackup-unsigned_v3.3.02.apk
    -MyFiles.apk(Only if you have an alternative File Browser i.e. Astro File Manager)
    -SamsungWidget_Program...
    -Swype.apk
    -TetheringManager2.apk(Only if you don't use T-Mo's tethering service)
    -TouchWizCalendar.apk
    -TouchWizCalculator.apk
    -TwCalendarAppWidget.apk
    -VideoPlayer.apk(Only if you have an alternative video player i.e. Mx Video Player which I recommend as it plays all video formats and uses the Hardware Acceleration on our phone)
    -VoiceRecorder.apk
    -WiFi-Calling.apk(If you don't use it)
    -ZinioSettingsProvider.v2.03.3331.TMobile....
    -sihome-signed-tmo-android-8.apk
    -talkback.apk
    -tmobile_m4m_3_0_15.signed...
    -vvm-signed.apk

....more to come

*3*
    Roms

Peach Sunrise By Jocala

RebelROM 1.41 By bpear96

d0362c99-c116-2526.jpg

d0362c99-c131-3591.jpg

d0362c99-c14f-d1d5.jpg

d0362c99-c164-fec4.jpg

Please stay tuned for updates and additions

Don't forget to vote for the Exhibit 2 4G in the Device Forum Voting Thread
    Reserved

Meet the Exhibit II Dev Team:

KemikalElite Samsung Exhibit II Wiki Editor

bpear96 Rom Dev RebelRom

VanillaTbone ICS Dev/apk Dev

Edubyah Deodexed Stock Roms/Themes

swonsay Bloatware removal script/Kernel Dev

jocala Rom Dev/CWM 5 Dev Peach Sunrise Rom/ClockworkMod 5.5.0.4

s0unds Kernel Dev

We would like to invite you to join us on IRC by pointing your IRC Software to irc.geekshed.net and join the channel #exhibit2dev.

If you need help using ADB(Android Debug Bridge) please download my ADB for "Dummies" Guide and install my ADB AIO(All In One) application which installs the Android SDK and sets up ADB for you.... See Below V

uosd4.png

ADB for Dummies Guide

ADB for Dummies AIO(All In One) App'

If you use my guide and/or app, please THANK me...

File Hosting is brought to you by:​
    mediafire.jpg
    Cyanogenmod 9 ICS

With arco68's guidance, this weekend I've successfully build CM9 and booted it on the Exhibit II 4G. It's by no means usable, and won't be until I build a suitable kernel and do further testing. I'll be starting on that next week. This may never reach release, but I wanted to let you know that it was being worked on. Wish me luck, and please don't bug me for updates or etas. I'll post more about CM9 when I have more to say.
    progress

Some progress.

CM9 is booting with a proper T679 kernel, wifi works, calling works, google apps work. Timezone incorrect, camera broken.

Edit: sms/mms works. GPS works. 3G/4G works.

About screen attached.
    I'm sorry to see that my efforts to do radical things like posting Galaxy Exhibit cm9 questions in the Galaxy Exhibit cm9 thread, and moving other conversation to threads where the OP has information updated with info useful to new users rather than threads abandoned by the OPs,are met with scorn and snark.

I made multiple requests to XDA mods to have the abandoned legacy ("dead") threads ownership transferred to someone who would do basic upkeep. I suggested KemikalElite. It was promised but never happened. So, anyway, I'm done. Do what you like.