Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,247 Members 51,170 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GT-P6210][KERNEL][UV/OC]garyd9's GT-P6210 kernel (updated 2012-01-23)

Tip us?

mike216
Old
Thanks Meter 1069
Well your kernel is light years ahead of what Samsung left us stock. I know you used there source to improve it but stock responsiveness sucked.After flashing your kernel the first thing I thought was, why couldn't they have it functioning like this?
The point being that I have a hunch you can get it even if Samsung is struggling

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Gazorninplat
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
LB2 is 2012, Feb (so it's later than LA3)
Thanks! Dang! Maybe I'll install an older firmware version like KL1 or KL3. Not sure if it's the firmware, but the battery life is definitely less than what I was expecting after reading the reviews for the 7+.

However, LB2 firmware isn't available on the Official Firmwares thread yet. Can I use ODIN tool to make my own flashable backup of LB2 before I try to install an older firmware?

I also have a 7+ that doesn't have the IR port.

Thanks!

Jason
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
Viewsonic Viewpad 7

ikeny
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazorninplat View Post
\
However, LB2 firmware isn't available on the Official Firmwares thread yet. Can I use ODIN tool to make my own flashable backup of LB2 before I try to install an older firmware?

I also have a 7+ that doesn't have the IR port.

Thanks!

Jason
I asked the same question here, and got no response. It doesn't seem like it can be done.

Don't you hate it when Samsung came up with all these different variants of the same model? I'm considering returning mine, and order one from the US (with IR blaster even though I'll never use the IR app).

bittersound
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Has anyone used this and also the OMGBBQROM Final Release? I wondered how the two compare... I'm currently using the latter but have not tried garyd9's effort yet...

garyd9
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersound View Post
Has anyone used this and also the OMGBBQROM Final Release? I wondered how the two compare...
They don't compare. What I've done is a kernel replacement, not a firmware replacement. The other is a firmware replacement, not a kernel replacement.

The kernel is mostly invisible, while the firmware is VERY visible:

Kernel: processor control, low level sound routines, low level networking, clocking, charging, etc..

Firmware: the entire user interface and built in applications

Put another way: If you buy a house with property, the land and house's foundation could be considered the kernel, while the house structure itself would be the firmware.

Donations: I don't accept donations, but if you are feeling charitable, help a child by going to http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/
and click the "Donate Now" link at the top.

bittersound
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
sorry, could you dumb that down a bit more for me please?

Is special firmware required to sit on top of your new kernel? I assume that custom firmware should be able to sit on any kernel (with caveats for features added or missing)?

cheers!

bdds13
Old
Thanks Meter 41
The problem is that my OMGBBQROM (Custom firmware) is based on LA3 firmware. This kernel was created with older firmware versions in mind (such as KL2). If you install this firmware with OMGBBQROM, it will disable wifi and you won't be able to use it. The good news is that I'm currently trying to create a rom (or custom firmware) that will be compatible with this kernel.
The Following User Says Thank You to bdds13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nrage23
Old
Thanks Meter 320
Gary is there any way you could add Voodoo Sound support to the kernel? Supercurio has added support for the 7+ to the software but we need a kernel that supports it.
Phone:

LG G3 (Verizon)
HTC One Max (Verizon)

Tablet:

Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Nvidia Shield Tablet

Retired Phones: HTC One M8, HTC One M7, Lg G2, Droid DNA, HTC Rezound, Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo 4g
Retired Tablets: Archos 5, Huwaei S7, Viewsonic G Tab, Acer A500, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Galaxy 7 Plus, Nexus 10, Nexus 7 2013., Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Note 10.1 2014, Shield Portable

garyd9
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1976
If he's willing to tell me what needs to be done in the kernel, I'd be happy to compile it it.

Gary

Donations: I don't accept donations, but if you are feeling charitable, help a child by going to http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/
and click the "Donate Now" link at the top.
The Following User Says Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ColMustard
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrage23 View Post
Gary is there any way you could add Voodoo Sound support to the kernel? Supercurio has added support for the 7+ to the software but we need a kernel that supports it.
It appears to be working fine with Gary's Kernel. I just installed it this morning and the only thing I did noticed is the notification sound when triggered, resets the volume level. Not sure this is related to G's Kernel or is an overall issue with the app.