Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,778 Members 52,078 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it just me or is wifi on the NT abysmal?

Tip us?

yourbrokenoven
Old
(Last edited by yourbrokenoven; 25th January 2012 at 03:40 PM.) Reason: Just an update.
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Is it just me or is wifi on the NT abysmal?

Problem 1. Many times, I will pick up my NT after it has been sitting idle for a number of hours, and wifi simply will not connect. I try to turn it off and back on in the settings, but it says it is unable to turn wifi off. I power cycle the device and it works again. This will happen on an almost daily basis.

Problem 2. Once wifi is working, certain websites will not load, or will load just once and wont' load again for hours. For example, I bookmarked these forums, and I check them often for updates. I wasn't having any problem at all until the last couple weeks. I'm rooted with google apps, i'm using the original browser. A few moments ago, I loaded the big list of forums. It worked fine. I clicked on THIS forum, however, and it would no longer load. I can browse the forums on my Droid Charge, my Desktop PC, my iPad and my girlfriend's iPhone 4s, so I know the website is not down, and it's a problem with the NT only. Other websites on the NT work fine. I can run the Speedtest app on the tablet with no problems. I can run wifi analyzer. This problem even occurs on Dolphin Browser.

I'm about to just do a factory restore again and give up on rooting for now. This was the same problem that made me restore a few weeks ago. The browser just becomes borked after being rooted for x amount of time.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Just an update: After factory restoring using it for a while, and then re-rooting, I've noticed that problem 2 has never re-occurred. I'm not certain what was happening. Very strange. I reproduced the problem over and over before posting. I even tried resetting my router and modem just in case.

Problem 1 persists. Rebooting always fixes the problem temporarily, but if the device goes to sleep for a few hours whether charging or not, it will almost always need a reboot. I always try to turn wifi off and back on, but the device is unable to disable wifi during this issue. I never noticed this problem while the device was unrooted, though I'll admit I didn't keep it stock, unrooted, very long.

cgdash
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm rooted and I don't have either of the problems you mentioned. I use the dolphin browser exclusively. I'd definitely go back to stock and then re-root.

miniblue
Old
(Last edited by miniblue; 1st January 2012 at 04:53 PM.) Reason: spelling
Thanks Meter 27
Been rooted a week. Use Dolphin-Mini and little on no trouble. WiFi seems to reach pretty far. I sometimes need to restart if idle a while.

HMG10
Old
Thanks Meter 49

DONATE TO ME
I have not had any issues with wifi.
Get 2.25 gigs of free online storage via dropbox, and help me get an extra 250mb! Use my link and easily move stuff from your desktop to mobile device http://db.tt/jZmqTTH0

If I helped you, please hit the thanks button.

lenardo
Old
Thanks Meter 21
It's you. I have yet to have an issue with wifi. Netflix amazon player, dolphinhd etc.. all hage worked almost flawlessly

NookieStackhouse
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I've experienced Problem 1, where I'll need to reboot wifi after leaving my rooted Nook idle overnight, a couple of times. But it's only happened 3 or 4 times to the dozens of nights I've left it on overnight. Otherwise, I haven't experienced Problem 2 or any other issues connecting to the internet using wifi. My Nook seems rock solid in that department.

150pilot
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by NookieStackhouse View Post
I've experienced Problem 1, where I'll need to reboot wifi after leaving my rooted Nook idle overnight, a couple of times. But it's only happened 3 or 4 times to the dozens of nights I've left it on overnight. Otherwise, I haven't experienced Problem 2 or any other issues connecting to the internet using wifi. My Nook seems rock solid in that department.
+1

Same Here.

TinaL38
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am having the same problem 1 the past two days or so. I have sideloaded amazon app store, GO Launcher EX, the Nook app manager and several sideloaded apps from the amazon store. Also running ZD Box.

I will have the wifi just go out with the same message, I turn off and back on and its fine. I figured its one of those issues that will be cleaned up with the next update.

My son has a Nook Color still on software 1.3 and he has had it once or twice.

Echo17121
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I am having the same problem with the Nook needing to be rebooted after sitting idle. I am rooted but I don't know if this was a problem while the device was unrooted because I only had it for about a day before rooting. Could it be Go Launcher causing the problem? Because it sounds like the poster above me isn't even rooted.

MaxCarnage
Old
Thanks Meter 786
I leave wifi on 24/7, but only have my NT associated with my home network and my mifi. I have not had any issues reassociating with either of my networks after sitting in my backpack all day.

Wifi so far works great for me.
Google Nexus 5 (Unlocked) on AT&T
- Stock 4.4

Nexus 7 (2013) Wifi
- Stock 4.3

Previous Smartphones: Galaxy S4, iPhone 5, Nexus 4, Skyrocket, iPhone 4S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, EVO 4G, iPhone 3G, iPhone, HTC Tilt, Samsung BlackJack, HTC Wizard