Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,359 Members 39,099 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] MicroSD 2 Internal Memory Swap w/ICS support

Tip us?

crossix
Old
(Last edited by crossix; 3rd March 2012 at 01:42 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 230

DONATE TO ME
Default [MOD] MicroSD 2 Internal Memory Swap w/ICS support

***Warning Dragons Ahead!!***
Do this at your own risk, it will not void your warrantee but it may make your device unresponsive and cause other issues that I haven't discovered yet! Also, DO NOT at any point attempt to use the unmount sdcard found in your storage settings and DO NOT take your micro sdcard out while your tablet is on, doing these things will cause your apps to fc and potentially loose data. This has been tested only for the Iconia A100 and other devices will probably have different mount points.

It's working great for me but your results may vary, I am not responsible for any damage or problems you might encounter by using this mod (very unlikely that you'll have problems though).

What this mod does:
Since this particular tablet only has 5.4gb of internal storage, I thought it would be great to use my external sd (which is much larger) to install app data and everything else on. So this mod will dirty swap your External micro sd card with your internal memory and vice versa. By dirty swap I mean that the original mount points are untouched and I've just re-bound the mount points to different locations in the tablet. Not the ideal way of doing it, but it works and since we can't touch our init its just about our only option.

It will also speed up your sdcard's read and possibly write speeds by increasing the sdcard's cache.

Requirments: (things you'll need before doing this mod)
You'll need to be rooted, have root explorer installed and of course a micro sd card in your tab:

Instructions:

- Download and unzip the attached file and put it in the root of your internal sdcard (/mnt/sdcard)

- Open root explorer and navigate to /mnt/sdcard (if its not already there) tap and hold on the file install_recovery.sh and pick the copy option

- Now navigate to the /etc folder tap the Mount r/w button

- Find the install_recovery.sh file tap and hold it, then select the option rename. Change the name to install_recovery.bak and then tap paste to copy over the new file.

Now look just under the file, you'll see the date and permissions, it should say something like rwxrwxrwx if it does not you'll need to tap and hold the file tap permissions and check all three boxes for read and execute.

Once you've done the above steps reboot and wait about a minute after your tab comes up, goto settings and look at your storage space to see if the internal space size has changed.

To reverse just delete the install_recovery.sh file, rename the backed up one and reboot. If you decide to keep this mod, you'll want to copy the contents of /mnt/external_sd to /mnt/sdcard so you dont loose any of your app data. Also, you'll no longer need GL 2 SD or any other mod to fetch data from your micro sdcard.

Note: if you have problems deleting or writing to /mnt/external_sd after doing this mod, in root explorer goto /mnt press Mount R/W tap and hold on external_sd and choose permissions. Make sure that all boxes for read and write are checked.

You can use this in conjunction with ICS, its been tested and works great (actually improved my bench scores in antutu benchmark). You can merge the system r/w mod with this one to keep your system read /writable (in ICS) just add the system r/w commands to the end of this install-recovery.sh file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MSD2INT.zip - [Click for QR Code] (351 Bytes, 7310 views)

Devices Owned:
Phones...
HTC Aria - CM 7.1 / Rooted / OC'd - 801mhz
Motorola Atrix - CM 10.1 / Rooted / OC'd - 1.2ghz
LG Optimus G - SnowJB / Rooted :: (Daily Driver)

Tablets...
EKEN M001 - Android 1.6 / Rooted / OC'd 533mhz
Acer Icona Tab A100 - Stock / Rooted / UC'd 600mhz
Yuandao Window N70S - Stock (for now) :: (Daily Driver)
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to crossix For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ceelos09
Old
Thanks Meter 284
Thank you! This Mod is greatly appreciated. I'll give it a go once my hangover settles down

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
DEVICE: Samsung Galaxy S3
ROM: MOAR v5.01
Kernel: Stock Optimized Kernel
BOOTANIMATION: stock
Theme: My own personal creation
BOOTANIMATION: Stock CM
THEME: ICS Glow

DEVICE: Galaxy Tab 2 7"
ROM: Stock 4.1.2 JB
KERNEL: Stock
BOOTANIMATION: Stock
THEME: Stock

dharr18
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Works like a champ. Awesome.
Droid Incredible - Stock (RIP 06-20-2010 - 02-16-12)
Viewsonic G-Tablet - CM7 Nightlies
Acer Iconia A100 - FLEX-A100-REAPER-R2
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - AOKP Build 32 w/ Franco nightly 140

Fredplex
Old
Thanks Meter 3
crossix,

...thanks a bunch for this mod, it works great, I've tested a number of apps and scenarios and so far so good.

I reviewed the original install_recovery.sh and noticed that it's there for some sort of firmware / recovery updates. ...so since we replaced the script I'm wondering if it will prevent future firmware upgrades, or more importantly could it prevent an emergency restore / recovery.

Perhaps merging your script with the original would be beneficial?

...any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for your effort on this, FredT

crossix
Old
(Last edited by crossix; 3rd January 2012 at 12:34 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 230

DONATE TO ME
I don't forsee any issues, unless you get an ota update, then you'll need to redo this mod.

The system runs /system/etc/install-recovery.sh on boot and would normally check the recovery partition for files changed outside of an ota update (ie viruses or cwm). If a file gets changed this script would run at boot and restore it's origional recovery.

Normally in order to get cwm or any other custom recovery to "stick" you would need to delete this file (or delete it's contents) so that your modded recovery wouldn't be overwritten on the next boot.

An OTA update will overwrite the install-recovery.sh file and you may have to follow the above instructions again (or it may even break my mod). I'm still running the origional stock rom (3.2) and haven't tested this mod on the newer versions.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Devices Owned:
Phones...

Tablets...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crossix For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fredplex
Old
Thanks Meter 3
cool thanks.... btw I am on the latest 3.2.1 ota update and this is working great for me so far....

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

TheUndertaker21
Old
Thanks Meter 48

DONATE TO ME
thanks buddy

Phone:

Next phone: Galaxy Note 3
Tablet:Google Nexus 7 2013

Next Tablet: NEXUS 10

Fredplex
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default what format for the SDCARD

so I got a new large SDCard to use for this setup... I bought it off a buddy and it is formated as EXT4 already. I'm going to reformat it, what is the best format to use with HC ? EXT4 or something else?

Thanks FredT

crossix
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 230

DONATE TO ME
Unfortunatly only fat32 will work, I've tried formatting & mounting the sdcard as ext2, 3 and 4, but couldnt get the tab to mount it automatically.

Devices Owned:
Phones...

Tablets...
The Following User Says Thank You to crossix For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

slayerpsp
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Thank you a million times can finally put all my gameloft games on the sd card without having to delete others.
Sprint HTC ONE BLACK Asus TF300 32GB
Nexus 7 32gb Dell Streak 7 Tmobile