Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,940 Members 47,062 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Low Memory Issue

Tip us?

Exleh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default [Q] Low Memory Issue

My girlfriend got the HTC Wildfire S for MetroPCS a couple of weeks ago. It is a nice phone except for one little problem: The internal memory is crap. She has exactly 5 apps installed, all are moved to SD, and she has 7.14 MB or internal memory free. It is running the stock 2.3 Rom rooted. I need some help figuring out what to do. Before you guys make suggestions let me list what I have already done:

1. S-OFF and rooted, removed all bloatware, which moved it from 3.21 MB to 8 MB which seems like BS because a few of those apps were about 6 MB in size.
2. Moved apps to SD card partially in the applications menu in settings.
3. Cleaned caches
4. Uninstalled almost every application.

This is very frustrating because she cant update apps, she cant download apps, and it is frustrating because I have the old Huawei Ascend on CM7 and I have more apps and am faster than her phone, its ridiculous, I also wonder why after removing over 60MB or crap and bloatware it freed up about 7MB. Makes no sense. I don't want to do DT's app2sd script yet because she doesn't have a way to back up her stuff before the partition of the SD card. If anyone can explain another way or something I can do to fix this please..... It would be greatly appreciated.

d33ps1x
Old
(Last edited by d33ps1x; 2nd January 2012 at 05:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 607
Use Partition Wizard Home (Free) to resize your FAT32 partition and create your Ext(whatever your kernel supports) partition on a windows machine.

No need to back up. Doesn't destroy partitions.

My preference is Link2SD free from the market.

You can mass move your apps, dalvik cache and library files to the Ext(Probably Ext2 with stock rom kernel) from the SD card and internal to your Ext partition very easy.

Also you can set it up to auto do this when new apps are installed and choose which apps you want to keep fully internal for faster booting, startup, etc.
Google Nexus i9250
Cyanogen Mod 10 Nightlies/DC 1200 Mhz/CWM Touch Recovery 6.0.0.1
It's Easier To Click Thanks Than Say It!
The Following User Says Thank You to d33ps1x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Exleh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by d33ps1x View Post
Use Partition Wizard Home (Free) to resize your FAT32 partition and create your Ext(whatever your kernel supports) partition on a windows machine.

No need to back up. Doesn't destroy partitions.

My preference is Link2SD free from the market.

You can mass move your apps, dalvik cache and library files to the Ext(Probably Ext2 with stock rom kernel) from the SD card and internal to your Ext partition very easy.

Also you can set it up to auto do this when new apps are installed and choose which apps you want to keep fully internal for faster booting, startup, etc.
I appreciate the fast reply. but here is my issue, she doesnt have a computer... is there anything else we can try?

d33ps1x
Old
Thanks Meter 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmosFEAR4701 View Post
I appreciate the fast reply. but here is my issue, she doesnt have a computer... is there anything else we can try?
Someone else's computer...
Google Nexus i9250

vidit.baxi
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Helped...3

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using XDA App

raven.warsong
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I did try that and. now the phone can't see the SD card. what shoud I do use a SD card reader. and wipe it?

d33ps1x
Old
Thanks Meter 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven.warsong View Post
I did try that and. now the phone can't see the SD card. what shoud I do use a SD card reader. and wipe it?
Is this the same question from two different people or one person logged on as two different people?

If your card is corrupt and can't be read try a program like Recuva on the PC (free) to get your files from it.
Google Nexus i9250

Exleh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Someone else's computer...
Okay, I will get her phone on Thursday and try app2sd.

raven.warsong
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Is this the same question from two different people or one person logged on as two different people?

If your card is corrupt and can't be read try a program like Recuva on the PC (free) to get your files from it.
sorry different person. Got a new card read sd card checks out after partion it will just not read the card can all kind of test on the card formated changed partion back to fad 32 it will just not read the card mounts in windows just fine.

Exleh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven.warsong View Post
sorry different person. Got a new card read sd card checks out after partion it will just not read the card can all kind of test on the card formated changed partion back to fad 32 it will just not read the card mounts in windows just fine.
The card shows up and reads in windows?
Samsung Galaxy S5 - White
Verizon Wireless
Stock

Palm Treo > iPhone 3GS > Huawei M860 Ascend > HTC Evo 4G > HTC Evo 3D > Motorola Droid > Motorola Atrix > Samsung Galaxy S3 > Samsung Galaxy S4 > Samsung Galaxy S5