Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,957 Members 38,608 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Windows 8 on HTC Flyer/View

Tip us?

loni90
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 231
Default [Q] Windows 8 on HTC Flyer/View

Ok, just wanted to put this up here.
I come from the legendary HTC HD2 so I know nothing is impossible from win6.5 to android is huge

Do you guys think a port of win8 will be possible? i mean they said 1gb of RAM is enough to run win8... and 1.5GHz should not be a problem if Atom is 1.6GHz, since we can overclock it and stuff..

so, is it possible, or whats talking against it?
Phones:
HTC One X (HTC Sense 4+)
HTC HD2 (With Sense 3.0)
HTC Sensation (with Sense 4.0)

Tablets: Due to bad software updates, I sold both... damn u HTC!
HTC Jetstream (Honeycomb 3.2)
HTC EVO View 4G (Flyer) (With Honeycomb 3.2)

Whats new with Sense 4.0

I took some of my time to help you, take some of yours and say "thanks"

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2924
Technically, its "possible". But nobody is going to take the time to port Windows8 to the Flyer. Windows is closed source, making porting it over extremely difficult. Plus, there would be no drivers to make the hardware work with the OS. I'm no developer, but the enormous amount of work to overcome these obstacles make them infeasible, compared to simply buying a Windows 8 device (when they become available).
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

Sweetpea8472
Old
Thanks Meter 5
On the other hand, there are developers who will try just for the fun of it. Will it be usuable to the general public? I doubt it....

immjg
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Somebody tell Microsoft!

Hey this thing is already running a version of Linux, you see any ports to a full blown linux tablet?

Nice idea thou, the new Windows 8 looks to be finger friendly
Current Phone:
Motorola Droid 3
Rooted on Straight Talk

Previous phones on Verizon:
Samsung Droid Charge Humble 5.0 Rooted
Droid Incredible Skyraider 3.5 It's the best!
HTC ppc6700 rooted
Blackberry Curve 8330 Nathanix Hybrid v438 OS V5

loni90
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 231
yeah i know it will be a pain in the arse, but hey - some people like to do this just for the fun and recognition - you know, be the one who finally managed to hack win8 and port it to a android device.

its been done before, and i think many will be donating to help.

its a fun thing.. imagine dual boot
Phones:
HTC One X (HTC Sense 4+)
HTC HD2 (With Sense 3.0)
HTC Sensation (with Sense 4.0)

Tablets: Due to bad software updates, I sold both... damn u HTC!
HTC Jetstream (Honeycomb 3.2)
HTC EVO View 4G (Flyer) (With Honeycomb 3.2)

Whats new with Sense 4.0

I took some of my time to help you, take some of yours and say "thanks"

DigitalMD
Old
Thanks Meter 612
You could install Ubuntu on the Flyer, but for what , I don't know.
Days of open internet are almost over as the biggies look for more revenue streaming from your wallet..Soon the internet will be a shell of its current self. With the government wanting their taxes and the big ISPs planning to charge extra for access to specific content (like facebook) and throttle your speed.

Big_O
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Read lots of issues and complaints about W8. Its a ubuntu mini wannabe. Its a nightmare on a pc and probably going to be classified as a cousin to vista. Windows is a mess structuraly compared to Linux, which is Android.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
HTC the ONE X, rooted | HTC Flyer, S-Off.

slateac
Old
Thanks Meter 3
There are a few reasons why it will never work, most of them people already mentioned

1. You can't compare a 1.6Ghz Intel x86 processor to a 1.6Ghz ARM one, the Flyer is well below the minimum specs.
2. Microsoft will not publicly release their ARM builds, they will only sell them directly to OEMs unlike the desktop version of Windows 8.
3. It's closed source.
4. If someone does miraculously manage to get it running (hey this is xda), functionality will be extremely limited as there is no legacy app support for ARM.

AidenM
Old
(Last edited by AidenM; 4th January 2012 at 12:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 316
You could install Ubuntu like DigitalMD said and put Win8 on a VM in there.... doubt it would boot though and you would have to find chuck norris and make him round-house kick the lag.
mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest ; repo sync ; make

Mirrors for Nexus 7 Files

gd761
Old
Thanks Meter 9
From ALL of the Tablets on the Market, I have checked out ALL of them. The one that I'm the happiest with is the Sprint HTC EVO View Tablet. It's the LOUDEST of ANY & ALL Tablets on the market. Anywhere from a little bit to a lot louder. I know that it's just a 7" screen, but it has the best sound. I would like to get Windows 8 on the HTC EVO View Tablet. i hope that ANYONE can come up with a solution to this. If anyone can come up with a solution to this, then I would put it on the HTC EVO View Tablet ASAP!

Tags
android, flyer, htc, view, windows