[Guide] Factory condition restoration / Downgrade to webOS 3.0.0

Search This thread

thetank225

Aug 13, 2013
I go to the terminal through the palm inc file itself not through the terminal, don't remember the path exactly, just look around in the palm,inc file and you will find it.
P.S. if you use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS there are some great instructions for getting the tp tools set up

blah blah blah

Thanks. I will try that.

ReikiDraven

Dec 10, 2012
You're a giant among men, brother. This was the only thing that would have fixed my new Touchpad. You ended a solid 25 hours of torment for me. Thank you.

nlra

Sep 5, 2012
Read-only flash / unable to delete 'store'

Hey all, new here. Apologies ahead of time for the length, but I hope it will end up being worth it for some of you. I actually don't have a problem myself, but was doing some research about the various ways TouchPads have been (and thus could still possibly be) bricked, and what known-working fixes existed for those scenarios. I intend to start playing around with other OSes on my TouchPad and want to make sure I don't do anything stupid; if I know what can brick a TP, then perhaps I can make sure to avoid doing those things.

From what I can tell, between jcsullins' TPDebrick (for Qualcomm Downloader Mode problem) and this thread (complete NAND wipe and repartition), it seems almost impossible to permanently brick a TouchPad, which is impressive.

"Almost," though, being the key word. There are a troubling number of people in this thread and elsewhere (both here on XDA and other forums) whose TouchPad NANDs have become stuck in some sort of permanent read-only mode, where no writes to flash that they do actually stick. It's system-wide, too, not just in one OS. This is what is preventing people from completing the steps listed in the OP of this thread: they can't wipe the logical volumes on the flash because they can't write to the flash. And as far as I have been able to tell, nobody has found a fix yet, so the only way people who have had their TouchPads afflicted by this malady have gotten past this is if HP replaces their TouchPad for them. That's kinda scary. What's even more scary is that it seems like every story about a TouchPad stuck in read-only mode corresponds to an attempt at an Android install; I've not found anybody who only uses WebOS who has also suffered from this, which suggests that somehow some component of the Android port might be causing this.

One thread that I ran into, though, got my wheels turning, because it included a link to the datasheet for the SanDisk flash chip that is in the TouchPad (unfortunately, I cannot include the URL and properly give attribution to the author because this forum won't let me as a n00b include outside links; if you want it, PM me). It's called an iNAND (that's the trademark name), and it is an eMMC chip, which means it is not just a flash chip, but a flash chip with a built-in flash controller that essentially presents itself to the OS the way an SD card controller/slot would: the OS thinks it's talking to an SD/MMC card!

There seems to be a misconception both in the post I linked to as well as by people who have composed other posts that the flash chip in the TouchPad has failed in some way when this happens, and that either the chip simply broke in such a way that you can no longer write to it, or it has gone into a perpetual read-only mode as a fallback/"safe-mode" measure in response to some other failure or corruption. But if you read the datasheet, it's pretty clear at least that the chip is not designed to fall back to a read-only mode in response to corruption or breakage elsewhere. In section 2.9 (p. 11), "Enhanced Write Protection", it explains that the entire flash chip can be purposefully write-protected by changing some flags in the CSD ("Card Specific Data") register.

The CSD register is further laid out in detail on section 4.3.4 (p. 21), where it is revealed to be a 128-bit-wide register consisting mostly (as I found out by reading another document -- page 86 of the "SD Specifications, Part 1, Physical Layer Simplified Specification, Version 2.00", which again I am not allowed to link to...thank XDA) of read-only values and a couple of changeable values. Two of the changeable ones are bits 12 (TMP_WRITE_PROTECT) and 13 (PERM_WRITE_PROTECT). If either of these bits are set to '1', the entire flash chip is write-protected. But there is an important difference between the two bits: the former can be set and unset at-will (and the setting survives loss of power). The latter, once set, can NEVER be undone and will write-protect the chip permanently!

I suspect that those of you with TouchPads that will no longer accept writes made to the NAND have had one (or both) of those bits in the CSD of the SanDisk eMMC toggled to be 'on' (1) somehow. How, I know not. Perhaps there is a bug in the 2.6.35 kernel SD/MMC driver, or perhaps there is a bug in ClockworkMod for the TouchPad, or perhaps there is a bizarre bug in moboot itself. Or maybe there *is* an engineering defect in these iNAND chips that causes these bits to flip themselves under certain rare (or perhaps not-so-rare) conditions. I dunno. But if we are lucky, then only TMP_WRITE_PROTECT is getting set, which is something that theoretically CAN be undone.

There is a way to read the CSD from the command shell via sysfs, so if you can boot up your device and get to a shell somehow, we can try to check this. If this theory turns out to be correct, then we can perhaps try to work on a way to unset TMP_WRITE_PROTECT (or at least confirm that PERM_WRITE_PROTECT was set and so know with certainty that nothing more can be done). Execute this command:

Code:
cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/csd
You should see a 32-digit-long (16-byte/128-bit) hexadecimal number when you do this; this is the contents of the CSD register. My TouchPad's eMMC's CSD register, for example, looks like this (16GB TouchPad):

Code:
d00f00320f5903ffffffffff92404010
The part we are interested in is the 4th digit from the right; as you can see in my case, the last 4 digits are 4010, and the 4 is the digit of import. 4 is in fact what we want to see here. If TMP_WRITE_PROTECT is set, this will be a 5 instead of a 4. If PERM_WRITE_PROTECT is set, it will be a 6. If both TMP_WRITE_PROTECT and PERM_WRITE_PROTECT are set, it will be a 7. Given what the MMC CSD spec states, it is unlikely for that number to be anything other than something between 4 and 7 (bit 14, the Copy bit, is almost always set to 1 from the factory and is unchangeable once set to 1, and bit 15 will always be 0).

So those of you with still-bricked read-only TouchPads, if you could run this test and report back with the contents of your CSD, I suspect the results would be very educational!

-- Nathan

bigmks

Nov 11, 2008
Hey all, new here. Apologies ahead of time for the length, but I hope it will end up being worth it for some of you. I actually don't have a problem myself, but was doing some research about the various ways TouchPads have been (and thus could still possibly be) bricked, and what known-working fixes existed for those scenarios. I intend to start playing around with other OSes on my TouchPad and want to make sure I don't do anything stupid; if I know what can brick a TP, then perhaps I can make sure to avoid doing those things.

From what I can tell, between jcsullins' TPDebrick (for Qualcomm Downloader Mode problem) and this thread (complete NAND wipe and repartition), it seems almost impossible to permanently brick a TouchPad, which is impressive.

"Almost," though, being the key word. There are a troubling number of people in this thread and elsewhere (both here on XDA and other forums) whose TouchPad NANDs have become stuck in some sort of permanent read-only mode, where no writes to flash that they do actually stick. It's system-wide, too, not just in one OS. This is what is preventing people from completing the steps listed in the OP of this thread: they can't wipe the logical volumes on the flash because they can't write to the flash. And as far as I have been able to tell, nobody has found a fix yet, so the only way people who have had their TouchPads afflicted by this malady have gotten past this is if HP replaces their TouchPad for them. That's kinda scary. What's even more scary is that it seems like every story about a TouchPad stuck in read-only mode corresponds to an attempt at an Android install; I've not found anybody who only uses WebOS who has also suffered from this, which suggests that somehow some component of the Android port might be causing this.

One thread that I ran into, though, got my wheels turning, because it included a link to the datasheet for the SanDisk flash chip that is in the TouchPad (unfortunately, I cannot include the URL and properly give attribution to the author because this forum won't let me as a n00b include outside links; if you want it, PM me). It's called an iNAND (that's the trademark name), and it is an eMMC chip, which means it is not just a flash chip, but a flash chip with a built-in flash controller that essentially presents itself to the OS the way an SD card controller/slot would: the OS thinks it's talking to an SD/MMC card!

There seems to be a misconception both in the post I linked to as well as by people who have composed other posts that the flash chip in the TouchPad has failed in some way when this happens, and that either the chip simply broke in such a way that you can no longer write to it, or it has gone into a perpetual read-only mode as a fallback/"safe-mode" measure in response to some other failure or corruption. But if you read the datasheet, it's pretty clear at least that the chip is not designed to fall back to a read-only mode in response to corruption or breakage elsewhere. In section 2.9 (p. 11), "Enhanced Write Protection", it explains that the entire flash chip can be purposefully write-protected by changing some flags in the CSD ("Card Specific Data") register.

The CSD register is further laid out in detail on section 4.3.4 (p. 21), where it is revealed to be a 128-bit-wide register consisting mostly (as I found out by reading another document -- page 86 of the "SD Specifications, Part 1, Physical Layer Simplified Specification, Version 2.00", which again I am not allowed to link to...thank XDA) of read-only values and a couple of changeable values. Two of the changeable ones are bits 12 (TMP_WRITE_PROTECT) and 13 (PERM_WRITE_PROTECT). If either of these bits are set to '1', the entire flash chip is write-protected. But there is an important difference between the two bits: the former can be set and unset at-will (and the setting survives loss of power). The latter, once set, can NEVER be undone and will write-protect the chip permanently!

I suspect that those of you with TouchPads that will no longer accept writes made to the NAND have had one (or both) of those bits in the CSD of the SanDisk eMMC toggled to be 'on' (1) somehow. How, I know not. Perhaps there is a bug in the 2.6.35 kernel SD/MMC driver, or perhaps there is a bug in ClockworkMod for the TouchPad, or perhaps there is a bizarre bug in moboot itself. Or maybe there *is* an engineering defect in these iNAND chips that causes these bits to flip themselves under certain rare (or perhaps not-so-rare) conditions. I dunno. But if we are lucky, then only TMP_WRITE_PROTECT is getting set, which is something that theoretically CAN be undone.

There is a way to read the CSD from the command shell via sysfs, so if you can boot up your device and get to a shell somehow, we can try to check this. If this theory turns out to be correct, then we can perhaps try to work on a way to unset TMP_WRITE_PROTECT (or at least confirm that PERM_WRITE_PROTECT was set and so know with certainty that nothing more can be done). Execute this command:

Code:
You should see a 32-digit-long (16-byte/128-bit) hexadecimal number when you do this; this is the contents of the CSD register. My TouchPad's eMMC's CSD register, for example, looks like this (16GB TouchPad):

Code:
The part we are interested in is the 4th digit from the right; as you can see in my case, the last 4 digits are 4010, and the 4 is the digit of import. 4 is in fact what we want to see here. If TMP_WRITE_PROTECT is set, this will be a 5 instead of a 4. If PERM_WRITE_PROTECT is set, it will be a 6. If both TMP_WRITE_PROTECT and PERM_WRITE_PROTECT are set, it will be a 7. Given what the MMC CSD spec states, it is unlikely for that number to be anything other than something between 4 and 7 (bit 14, the Copy bit, is almost always set to 1 from the factory and is unchangeable once set to 1, and bit 15 will always be 0).

So those of you with still-bricked read-only TouchPads, if you could run this test and report back with the contents of your CSD, I suspect the results would be very educational!

-- Nathan

Interesting theory. I dusted off my TP, ran the command and got back the same code you posted. What's next?

nlra

Sep 5, 2012
Interesting theory. I dusted off my TP, ran the command and got back the same code you posted. What's next?
Hey there. So your CSD register contents match mine exactly? What if you were to post the entire thing here anyway just in case there is a subtle difference you might be missing?

I don't see any prior posts from you on XDA, so I'm not sure what the specific symptoms are with your TouchPad. Do they match those described by the other people I was addressing in my response? (This thread covers many different modes of TP failure.) Specifically...

1. When you run either WebOS or Android, nothing you do (settings changes, downloads, new app installs, local document saves, etc.) is "remembered" after a reboot?
  2. When you attempt to wipe and recreate all of the logical volumes as documented at the beginning of this thread, you issue the "lvm.static vgremove store" command, followed by "lvm.static vgcreate -s 8M store /dev/mmcblk0p14", and the second command returns to you this error?: "/dev/store: already exists in filesystem", and "New volume group name 'store' is invalid"
If these don't apply to you, then my post does not address your problem.

-- Nathan

bigmks

Nov 11, 2008
Hey there. So your CSD register contents match mine exactly? What if you were to post the entire thing here anyway just in case there is a subtle difference you might be missing?

I don't see any prior posts from you on XDA, so I'm not sure what the specific symptoms are with your TouchPad. Do they match those described by the other people I was addressing in my response? (This thread covers many different modes of TP failure.) Specifically...

1. When you run either WebOS or Android, nothing you do (settings changes, downloads, new app installs, local document saves, etc.) is "remembered" after a reboot?
  2. When you attempt to wipe and recreate all of the logical volumes as documented at the beginning of this thread, you issue the "lvm.static vgremove store" command, followed by "lvm.static vgcreate -s 8M store /dev/mmcblk0p14", and the second command returns to you this error?: "/dev/store: already exists in filesystem", and "New volume group name 'store' is invalid"
If these don't apply to you, then my post does not address your problem.

-- Nathan

Yes, I'm a long time reader but first time poster.

But the issue that I am encountering with my TP is exactly what you describe above. When attempting to remove and recreate the volume store, it does error that the store already exists.

I ran the command you provided from the terminal app in CM9. It returned the following value:

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Yes, I'm a long time reader but first time poster.

But the issue that I am encountering with my TP is exactly what you describe above. When attempting to remove and recreate the volume store, it does error that the store already exists.

I ran the command you provided from the terminal app in CM9. It returned the following value:

Yes, if I make any changes in CM9 or webOS then reboot the TP, it does not save any of the changes made.

rr5678

Dec 25, 2009
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't file system damage make Linux lock the drive in read-only mode?

nlra

Sep 5, 2012
Well, then we might be back to the drawing board here. It doesn't appear that the whole-flash write protect has been engaged. There *is* apparently another way that the documentation describes, though, to write-protect only certain parts of the flash chip. This would be accomplished by manipulating certain parts of the EXT_CSD register. Unfortunately, it does not look like EXT_CSD is exposed by sysfs. I will have to do a little bit more reading up on this.

One thing you could try to do to see if indeed the flash chip is write-protecting itself would be to attempt to blank out the first sector of data on it (boot sector?). If you do this and it is successful, it will put the TouchPad into QHUSB-DLOAD/Qualcomm Download Mode, at which point you would run TPDebrick on it. This will not have any effect if the flash chip is indeed write-protected in some way at the hardware level of things. At this point, you probably don't have anything to lose by trying it: perform the bootup procedure described at the beginning of this thread in the OP, and then once you get to the point where you are about to start entering in the various lvm.static commands, run this single command instead (WARNING: I have not vetted this procedure myself! This could brick your TouchPad! I am not responsible if it does!):

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 count=1
...then reboot your TouchPad. If it boots up normally, then the flash chip is hardware-write-protected somehow. If all you get is a blank screen at this point, then it actually worked! At this point, Google for "TPDebrick v004" (I'd post the link to it myself if my account on this forum was not still restricted), follow the procedure, and once it is finished, go into bootie mode and run WebOS Doctor 3.0.0 on your TouchPad.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't file system damage make Linux lock the drive in read-only mode?
You're mistaken. Most UNIX-like systems will mount various volumes read-only until after filesystem integrity has been determined, at which point they will be re-mounted read-write. So filesystem damage that is not automatically correctable (e.g., a fsck triggered during boot cannot fix the volume) would cause the re-mount simply to not occur, and the system would also likely boot straight into single-user mode if the affected volume is the boot volume. But this all happens at the *volume* (partition/filesystem) level, not at the physical *drive* level; no kind of drive "locking" occurs. It would be absurd for an OS to do this, or for the hardware to enable it to do so. Think about a multiboot PC: hypothesize that Linux filesystem corruption occurs, so Linux locks the drive, thus preventing you from using the copy of Windows that is on there, even though it is in perfectly good shape? What a mess that would be.

-- Nathan

rr5678

Dec 25, 2009
You're mistaken. Most UNIX-like systems will mount various volumes read-only until after filesystem integrity has been determined, at which point they will be re-mounted read-write. So filesystem damage that is not automatically correctable (e.g., a fsck triggered during boot cannot fix the volume) would cause the re-mount simply to not occur, and the system would also likely boot straight into single-user mode if the affected volume is the boot volume. But this all happens at the *volume* (partition/filesystem) level, not at the physical *drive* level; no kind of drive "locking" occurs. It would be absurd for an OS to do this, or for the hardware to enable it to do so. Think about a multiboot PC: hypothesize that Linux filesystem corruption occurs, so Linux locks the drive, thus preventing you from using the copy of Windows that is on there, even though it is in perfectly good shape? What a mess that would be.

-- Nathan
You've gotta consider this though: Most TouchPads this issue occurs on ARE multi-boot and it does affect both operating systems. Maybe eMMCs are handled differently. Hell, maybe it's the controller screwing everything up. I'd make a more detailed reply right now but I'm going underground :p

nlra

Sep 5, 2012
You've gotta consider this though: Most TouchPads this issue occurs on ARE multi-boot and it does affect both operating systems.
That's actually kinda my point: it's not "the OS" doing it because there is > 1 OS involved here.

Maybe eMMCs are handled differently. Hell, maybe it's the controller screwing everything up.
In an eMMC design, the controller is part of the flash chip.

In a multi-OS system, with all OSes being unable to write to the drive, the write-protect is obviously happening in hardware, not software. Heck, when you follow the procedure in the OP, you aren't even booting one of the OSes that resides on the flash: you're basically booting a recovery image via USB, and you STILL can't write to the drive from that environment.

The only documented way of write-protecting an MMC-class flash device (besides SD cards with their write-protect slide switch) is via manipulating writable bits in the CSD and EXT_CSD registers. And if an OS is touching those things, that's not a feature: that's a bug. Unless the engineers were high when they made that decision, there's no way that was intentional.

-- Nathan

os2baba

May 4, 2009

Code:

Code:

-- Nathan

I think my son inadvertently installed the nightly build downloaded by goomanager. He doesn't recall what he did. But it can't get beyond the cyanogenmod face logo. I can boot into WebOS. But the file system is read locked. I can make changes to the sd card when connected to the PC. As soon as I disconnect, it reverts back. I tried formatting the sd card. No go. I'm afraid I have a "safe mode" TP now :(

I was able to install Preware and Tailor once using WebOS Quick Install. But I'm unable to repeat that. If I were to go into WebOS recovery and run Novaterm, can you tell me the equivalent command to run from Novaterm?

nlra

Sep 5, 2012
I was able to install Preware and Tailor once using WebOS Quick Install. But I'm unable to repeat that. If I were to go into WebOS recovery and run Novaterm, can you tell me the equivalent command to run from Novaterm?
The command is the same. Did you try it?

-- Nathan

daddyspc

Jan 16, 2009
racine
Thank You , Thank You....

Code:

Code:

-- Nathan

ok, I have this exact problem...and I have also tried every damn thing on the net for the last 6 months trying to get my sd to work right again and write. So let get down to the brass tacks...

I just ran that code line through my terminal and received the exact same code you have....

Code:

so I also have a 4....let me know what else I can do to help move this along!

sokratz

Dec 16, 2011
Thanks for the guide. Having some odd issues and may want to go back to scratch.

Sent from my TouchPad using xda app-developers app

geomonroe

Nov 11, 2012
Manassas
NIRA that is some impressive research. In motor controls there are also soft and hard lock outs. From what I have seen my tp do, I can't prove it but I swear low charge will put the tp into a soft lockout situation, so before any fixes are tried at least a twelve hour charge time on the stock if not larger gauge chord is a must.
Second, I have trashed my pad numerous times but I can't get to the link I want to share so I will try to get it tomorrow. I think it may help the two previous posters.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

geomonroe

Nov 11, 2012
Manassas
NIRA that is some impressive research. In motor controls there are also soft and hard lock outs. From what I have seen my tp do, I can't prove it but I swear low charge will put the tp into a soft lockout situation, so before any fixes are tried at least a twelve hour charge time on the stock if not larger gauge chord is a must.
Second, I have trashed my pad numerous times but I can't get to the link I want to share so I will try to get it tomorrow. I think it may help the two previous posters.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

this thread post #163

SAITEJA PARSI

Apr 20, 2012
Thanx for ur help
its working...

but 1 doubt

after the 3rd step in novaterm it is asking like this

Do you really want to remove volume group "store" containing 11 logical volumes? [y/n]

what should I prefer, yes or no??

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Thanx for ur help
its working...

but i doubt

Do you really want to reove volume group "store" containing 11 logical volumes? [y/n]

what should I prefer yes or no??

Last edited:

geomonroe

Nov 11, 2012
Manassas
Thanx for ur help
its working...

but 1 doubt

Do you really want to remove volume group "store" containing 11 logical volumes? [y/n]

what should I prefer, yes or no??

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Thanx for ur help
its working...

but i doubt

Do you really want to reove volume group "store" containing 11 logical volumes? [y/n]

what should I prefer yes or no??

I say yes for all of them after all your rebuilding the system

sent from the bathroom ;)

Reactions: SAITEJA PARSI

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is for all those people who want to start over. I made the mistake of using webOS Doctor without removing the Android and Linux partitions. That left me with a deer turd for an HP TouchPad. So after about 2 hours of slaving, I figured out what to do

I. What you need
    Novacom - Click
    Novaterm - Click (or found in C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\terminal. Run novaterm.bat)
    Recovery uImage - Click
    WebOS Doctor 3.0.0 - Click
    WebOS Doctor 3.0.4 (optional) - Click

II. What to do
    1) Install Novacom and extract Novaterm.

2) Open a command prompt and navigate to your Palm, Inc folder (usually \Program Files\Palm, Inc)

3) Move the recovery uImage to the Palm, Inc folder.

4) Boot your Touchpad into recovery (Power + Volume Up from power off)

5) In that command prompt, run ( novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage ) (without the parenthesis)

6) Once run, all you'll see on the Touchpad is the HP logo. This is good. Now open Novaterm and hit Connect

7) If you see a prompt that says something like "root@webOS device" this is good, now run these commands IN ORDER and these commands are CASE SENSITIVE

(For 32GB Touchpads only)

lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgremove store
    lvm.static vgcreate -s 8M store /dev/mmcblk0p14
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 71 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 0 -n root store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 8 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 1 -n var store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 2 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 2 -n update store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 3 -n log store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 32 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 4 -n mojodb store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 17 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 5 -n filecache store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3523 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 6 -n media store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 64 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 7 -n swap store
    mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

(16GB Touchpads)
    lvm.static vgremove store
    lvm.static vgcreate -s 8M store /dev/mmcblk0p14
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 71 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 0 -n root store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 8 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 1 -n var store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 2 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 2 -n update store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 3 -n log store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 32 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 4 -n mojodb store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 17 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 5 -n filecache store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 1618 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 6 -n media store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 64 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 7 -n swap store
    mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

8) When done, reboot the Touchpad into recovery (Power + Center/Home until screen off, then Power + Volume Up)

9) Run webOS Doctor 3.0.0 (This is to ensure a repartitioning and no other version will work at this point :p)

Branch 1) You can stop here to have 3.0.0 as your webOS version. You've just completed a downgrade that was before thought impossible.

Branch 2) If you want webOS 3.0.4, continue on.

10) When webOS Doctor is complete, hold down Power and Center, and when the screen turns off, immediately hold Power and Volume Up.

11) You'll see the USB icon again, just run webOS Doctor 3.0.4 and you're done.

Have fun.

For those having problems with novaterm:
    I had the same problem with the downloaded novaterm on three different win7x64 machines. If you've run WebOS Doctor at all you should have a Palm, Inc/terminal/ folder with a novaterm.bat in it. Try using that instead.

For those having problems with Java:
    got it working by adding the path to java.
    set PATH =%PATH%;c:\program files (x86)\java\jre6\bin.
    This information should be added to the OP as I was going through hell trying to get novaterm to work. I tried every pointer I could find but no matter what I did, any key I pressed on the keyboard would bring this error up "arithmetic overflow error." Then I finally found something that worked, if anything I think the novaterm step should be removed and just put this down as this seems to for sure work.

After doing the novacom mem...... command
    Type novacom -t open tty://
    You will stay in the command prompt but will now see the root terminal line for the Touchpad, and you can continue typing the rest of the commands in to reset it. This worked perfectly for me, in case anyone was running into a similar problem to me.

Thanks for the detailed instructions though OP, I've been really wanting to fully restore my TP and start from scratch, it's gotten quite cluttered over the time I've had it and it's been bugging me.

P.S. - I didn't stop to think whether the OP instructions would work with the method I used, since they only have you install novacom and novaterm, so I'm guessing that the TTY option may not work. Well if that is the case, then just install the latest Java Development Kit for your version of Windows, as well as the latest HP webOS SDK/PDK for your version of Windows, which can both be found easily by searching for the corresponding website. Hopefully this helps someone.
    Read-only flash / unable to delete 'store'

Code:

Code:

-- Nathan
    Sure.

Here you have :

Code:
    lvm.static lvdisplay
      --- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/root
      VG Name                store
      LV UUID                Aq5Mpj-p1ou-AMwd-j0YJ-1ytK-nHVn-NlOGUR
      LV Write Access        read/write
      LV Status              available
      # open                 1
      LV Size                568.00 MB
      Current LE             71
      Segments               1
      Allocation             inherit
      Read ahead sectors     auto
      - currently set to     256
      Persistent major       254
      Persistent minor       0
      Block device           254:0

--- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/var
      LV UUID                1OQAZu-Zx0P-fK6M-xdYj-8T0z-CoDw-2pwy00
      # open                 1
      LV Size                64.00 MB
      Current LE             8
      Segments               1
      Persistent minor       1
      Block device           254:1

--- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/update
      LV UUID                9Cpv99-Al2S-eCWp-ioAi-AGMS-T10i-qba3pn
      # open                 0
      LV Size                16.00 MB
      Current LE             2
      Segments               1
      Persistent minor       2
      Block device           254:2

--- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/log
      LV UUID                jaNcqX-uRU7-uwWi-yvZE-KHiN-K5RX-mh3jkJ
      # open                 1
      LV Size                24.00 MB
      Current LE             3
      Segments               1
      Persistent minor       3
      Block device           254:3

--- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/mojodb
      LV UUID                7nT2OX-nlbV-U6HQ-UrVi-Pja6-nDwP-BpHsTR
      # open                 1
      LV Size                256.00 MB
      Current LE             32
      Segments               2
      Persistent minor       4
      Block device           254:4

--- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/filecache
      LV UUID                oH0jt0-AcIO-pFTF-3wD7-cYC2-W88I-H0UqPj
      # open                 1
      LV Size                136.00 MB
      Current LE             17
      Segments               1
      Persistent minor       5
      Block device           254:5

--- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/media
      LV UUID                NWNspe-aKe5-glCM-c0mb-15sM-32Mu-64e8jx
      # open                 1
      LV Size                12.64 GB
      Current LE             1618
      Segments               1
      Persistent minor       6
      Block device           254:6

--- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/swap
      LV UUID                TOq7Y8-2XCB-diKE-3D7s-3pIp-Ksbl-4LbZP0
      # open                 1
      LV Size                512.00 MB
      Current LE             64
      Segments               2
      Persistent minor       7
      Block device           254:7
    Sure.

Here you have :

Code:
    lvm.static lvdisplay
      --- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/root
      LV UUID                Aq5Mpj-p1ou-AMwd-j0YJ-1ytK-nHVn-NlOGUR
      # open                 1
      LV Size                568.00 MB
      Current LE             71
      Segments               1
      Persistent minor       0
      Block device           254:0

--- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/var
      LV UUID                1OQAZu-Zx0P-fK6M-xdYj-8T0z-CoDw-2pwy00
      # open                 1
      LV Size                64.00 MB
      Current LE             8
      Segments               1
      Persistent minor       1
      Block device           254:1

--- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/update
      LV UUID                9Cpv99-Al2S-eCWp-ioAi-AGMS-T10i-qba3pn
      # open                 0
      LV Size                16.00 MB
      Current LE             2
      Segments               1
      Persistent minor       2
      Block device           254:2

--- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/log
      LV UUID                jaNcqX-uRU7-uwWi-yvZE-KHiN-K5RX-mh3jkJ
      # open                 1
      LV Size                24.00 MB
      Current LE             3
      Segments               1
      Persistent minor       3
      Block device           254:3

--- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/mojodb
      LV UUID                7nT2OX-nlbV-U6HQ-UrVi-Pja6-nDwP-BpHsTR
      # open                 1
      LV Size                256.00 MB
      Current LE             32
      Segments               2
      Persistent minor       4
      Block device           254:4

--- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/filecache
      LV UUID                oH0jt0-AcIO-pFTF-3wD7-cYC2-W88I-H0UqPj
      # open                 1
      LV Size                136.00 MB
      Current LE             17
      Segments               1
      Persistent minor       5
      Block device           254:5

--- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/media
      LV UUID                NWNspe-aKe5-glCM-c0mb-15sM-32Mu-64e8jx
      # open                 1
      LV Size                12.64 GB
      Current LE             1618
      Segments               1
      Persistent minor       6
      Block device           254:6

--- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/swap
      LV UUID                TOq7Y8-2XCB-diKE-3D7s-3pIp-Ksbl-4LbZP0
      # open                 1
      LV Size                512.00 MB
      Current LE             64
      Segments               2
      Persistent minor       7
      Block device           254:7

Thank you. I was able to make the correct commands for 16GB Touchpads.