Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,995 Members 48,322 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] Factory condition restoration / Downgrade to webOS 3.0.0

Tip us?

HansTWN
Old
(Last edited by HansTWN; 25th February 2012 at 04:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
I tried to re=partition with a WebOS program (forgot the name, it is in the Preware beta feeds). Got an error message every time, saying I should run the program right after startup without opening anything else. The program will run, but all the partitioning options stay grayed out even after several device reboots.

Tried reinstalling Ubuntu on 3 computers and create another WebOS doctor to do the re-partitioning (quite a time waster, anyway). But on 2 Windows 7 PCs I get the same Ubuntu installation error, and on a Windows 8 PC I can install Ubuntu but apparently Windows 8 doesn't allow multi-boot. Always starts right up into Windows. Of course, if everything else fails, I will create an Ubuntu installation on a PC somewhere.

So I was trying to find an easy way out. My only goal is just to erase a 10GB extf3 partition I have created for Ubuntu and make it available for Android and WebOS data storage again. I was thinking this might be it.

connor-
Old
Thanks Meter 0
What did you mean by "deer turd for an HP TouchPad" did you end on the /ROM screen? Gonna try this to recover when I have enough charge Thanks for putting this together.

rr5678
Old
(Last edited by rr5678; 25th February 2012 at 06:40 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor- View Post
What did you mean by "deer turd for an HP TouchPad" did you end on the /ROM screen? Gonna try this to recover when I have enough charge Thanks for putting this together.
Nope. I didn't end on the palm.com/ROM screen. No matter what WebOS Doctor I ran, it would result in a non-booting TouchPad.

But I assume this will also fix the palm.com/ROM problem too. I can't test that because my TouchPad is being sent to El Paso, TX to remove dust from under the screen.

connor-
Old
(Last edited by connor-; 27th February 2012 at 08:09 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
You can not understand how much I love you right now Worked first time! Thank you SO much

EDIT: 3.0.0 didn't work booted into language selection but touchscreen wouldn't work trying 3.0.5 now

EDIT 2: oh i know why touchscreen won't work :P No fault of your thing :P I didn't get the touch connector back in properly, my bad :P Thanks so much

hajalie24
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Thanks, this really saved me.

StephenMilone
Old
Thanks Meter 243

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr5678 View Post

9) Run webOS Doctor 3.0.0 (This is to ensure a repartitioning and no other version will work at this point )
worked for me after tribooting archlinux botched CM9 from reading the usb storage.

I can't stress the quoted part enough. use 3.0.0! I didn't care about downgrading so i tried 3.0.5, no dice on multiple machines...that's 25 minutes of frustration i won't get back.

theman30
Old
(Last edited by theman30; 25th March 2012 at 12:04 AM.) Reason: Update
Thanks Meter 0
Default HP Touchpad Won't Boot (Triangle with (!) on the screen)

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well. Let me break down my story. I bought HP TouchPad 16GB from eBay yesterday. The device is in great condition. However, the seller did not provide the information that there was CM9 on the tablet. There was also warranty which I did not know. I plugged it to charge, and it turned on and booted into CM9. There was still old data and apps, but Android Market did not work. Anyways, I uninstalled with ACMEUninstaller. I turned it on and then I used webOS doctor 3.0.5 to upgrade from 3.0.4. Everything went perfect and it was upgraded. Now I will list what I did step by step and what happened.

Step 1: I plugged it into my laptop, and on the device I selected use as USB drive. However, the laptop did not recognize. When I clicked the F: disk, it asked me if I wanted to format. Unfortunately, I did because otherwise I did not have access.

Step 2: I went back to device, and saw some apps missing. Then, I believe I did one of the reset options. At some point here, there was no app at all except browser. I thought I could use webOS doctor 3.0.5 to restore everything back.

Step 3: I run the webOS doctor, and then it stuck at 12%. I had to unplug it, and at that point, I had a triangle with "!"

I followed the instructions here, and everything went smoothly until I used webOS doctor 3.0.0. When I run it, it does charging thing (whatever it is), then disconnects and on the device, the power cord sign appears.

I tried to use other webOS doctor versions, they start but at 8%, it tells me "we were unable to reset your device". What should I do right now?

I am so frustrated and angry with myself that why I messed up. I am not sure if it can be back to life. HP support told me the repair cost is $230 which is more than what I expected. I contacted to the seller, but now it seems like my fault. I believe what caused USB drive problem is CM9 in the first place because even if you uninstall, there are still something left.

I really don't know what to do at this point.

I will really appreciate if anyone can be of help.

Thank you.

UPDATE: I was able to get my TP back to life! I think this helped. I really don't know what happened but I got 3.0.0 Doctor worked out. It might have been the charge issue. I really don't know. Now, I am trying to upgrade to 3.0.5 with air. Hopefully, that will work. Thanks again!

HansTWN
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I recovered the space from my Ubuntu partition. Now WebOS info shows 64 GB again (I have the white one). But in Windows (when I use the USB drive from WebOS or CM9) and Android the system only shows the original size before recovering the space from the Ubuntu partition. What can I do to use all the available space again? I mostly run CM9 now, anyway.

geniused
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i40.tinypic.com/o20q0.jpg

So i wanted to completely remove cm7 to install cm9. I did exactly everything listed, now the tp is in this loop.

if i try and load novaterm it connects but i can't type anything (its just a blank black box that just says connect on bottom)

if i try to run webosdoctor, it gives the "battery charging then phone disconnected screen"

no idea what i should do next

N!njaDuck
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniused View Post
i40.tinypic.com/o20q0.jpg

So i wanted to completely remove cm7 to install cm9. I did exactly everything listed, now the tp is in this loop.

if i try and load novaterm it connects but i can't type anything (its just a blank black box that just says connect on bottom)

if i try to run webosdoctor, it gives the "battery charging then phone disconnected screen"

no idea what i should do next
Are you in the loader mode when you connect to webosdoctor?

Hold down power and the home key until it reboots. When the screen goes black, press and hold the volume up until a USB looking symbol shows up. Plug in and webosdoctor should recognize the device. If it does not, you probably do not have the Novacom drivers installed.

Install the SDK or the stand alone drivers that you can find with google.

Hope this helps.
PM me if your are an excellent developer looking for work in the eastern US