[MOD] Hulu/WIN Flash Hack

Search This thread

nuke072786

Jul 30, 2008
Worked Great!

Worked Great! Thanks! Be sure to ensure that you name the folder "flash". The android keyboard automatically made the first letter upper case i.e. "Flash" which seemed to cause an issue for me (didn't think it should be case sensitive).

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
Was wondering if anyone can help me with the procedure using root explorer. I have yet to learn adb so im limited to using root explorer. I've downloaded the ICS flash hack. Renamed it to flash. Under system can't find data folder. Only see data folder under root of sd. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

ravizzle

Dec 16, 2009
Sacramento
Was wondering if anyone can help me with the procedure using root explorer. I have yet to learn adb so im limited to using root explorer. I've downloaded the ICS flash hack. Renamed it to flash. Under system can't find data folder. Only see data folder under root of sd. Any help would be much appreciated.

I did it via root explorer also, the folder is on the root of the sd card, not in /system

Sent from my Galaxy S2

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
I did it via root explorer also, the folder is on the root of the sd card, not in /system

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Thanks. What is the next step after I move the folder to data from root of sd card? Or is that all there is to do? I rebooted and used ics browser and set it to Desktop. But still says Unsupported device.
Thanks.
Edit: Do I also need to change permission of the folder?

Last edited:

ravizzle

Dec 16, 2009
Sacramento
Thanks. What is the next step after I move the folder to data from root of sd card? Or is that all there is to do? I rebooted and used ics browser and set it to Desktop. But still says Unsupported device.
Thanks.
Edit: Do I also need to change permission of the folder?

download script manager, navigate to the folder select the flash fix file and set it to run on boot.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Reactions: jjdevega

dsmitty166

Aug 31, 2010
Sioux Center, Iowa
Thanks works perfect. I did have to mount my system as rw before making the /data/flash folder.

Fyi for anyone having problems, you need to exit adb shell before pushing the files.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
43abd9a3-6b7e-ca93.jpg
download script manager, navigate to the folder select the flash fix file and set it to run on boot.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Thanks for your replies and help! Hulu is now online:)

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
Yea boy! Pretty sweet huh? Make sure to hit thanks button for the OP

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Thanks again for your help. Thank you OP compuw22c for the hulu stream! As a sign of thanks. I made a little how to video for those that lack the adb experience. All credit go to the OP.

http://youtu.be/rXTdIyMP_Xs

Last edited:
Reactions: FrameCityJackal

sunsguy

May 26, 2009
It works!

Awesomeness! Thanks for this. It was the whole reason I rooted my prime. Hulu works great. Cbs also works for watching how I met your mother :)

Good stuff

clenz

Dec 9, 2011
Chicago
Just installed Vgeezy's hulu APK and it works fine on the TP without root or any additional Flash BS. You can watch hulu in the native app. It is a bit quirky with the launch screen and the top preview doesn't really work. However, you can watch movies just fine. I'm using the landscape fixed version.

xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1449110

Reactions: jjdevega

ravizzle

Dec 16, 2009
Sacramento
Just installed Vgeezy's hulu APK and it works fine on the TP without root or any additional Flash BS. You can watch hulu in the native app. It is a bit quirky with the launch screen and the top preview doesn't really work. However, you can watch movies just fine. I'm using the landscape fixed version.

xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1449110

You need hulu plus subscription for this?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

clenz

Dec 9, 2011
Chicago
OK - well I have a subscription so I can't be sure other than what it states in Vgeezy's thread. For me, this mod is about running hulu on my prime, which is not seen as a compatible device. It's either use this apk or root and do the flash fix.

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
OK - well I have a subscription so I can't be sure other than what it states in Vgeezy's thread. For me, this mod is about running hulu on my prime, which is not seen as a compatible device. It's either use this apk or root and do the flash fix.

Vgeezy's recent hack on Hulu Plus apk is great! Now I have browser and hulu plus apk working!

Last edited:

Montisaquadeis

Nov 16, 2011
I have used a similiar method for watching hulu.com on my nook tablet which is running a very heavily moidified version of Gingerbread. I just replace the lib.flashplayer.so file in the nook. I was also wondering if it would be possible to modify the flashplayer so that i can turn my nook to the right instead of the left like it is currently set up because the cover i have works like a book meaning it opens to the left and so i turn the nook to the right to get a stand for it.

cedsuper

Nov 29, 2008
Hello compuw22c,
does it work for european with your mod or something exist to put this application avalaible for abroad countries?

thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys. So I made this hack for my old epic, then my GSII, now I'm posting it here since I know I DEFINITELY wanted unrestricted hulu access on such a nice tablet, without the extra price/"not available for devices" BS of Hulu+. This should also work for any other sites that restrict mobile devices. This hack simply changes 3 characters in the flash library file from AND to WIN, and copies my modded file over the stock/updated adobe file upon each boot.

For those who wish to learn more the original post can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=114215

New install instructions

Flash via CWM OR follow the instructions above, but you must locate the files within the zip sub folders. They are in the folders they should be in if you were to unzip to the device root. You may also copy and paste with root explorer if you prefer that to ADB (I do). Just make sure you get the file permissions right (they should match other files in the same folder).

NOTE: If you have adfree or another adblock, you'll see a message to disable it, you don't need to disable it (they just want you to watch their commercials), just wait the 30 seconds or whatever it is and that black message counts as your commercial, and your show will play :)

Once we get a few custom kernels out there with init.d support we won't need script manager (init.d support just means it will run all scripts in the folder /system/etc/init.d) making the process a bit cleaner but for now this works. I also have a cwm flashable version but we'll have to wait a bit longer for that. For now let's just be happy Jcase got us root :) Enjoy!

EDIT: Updated for ICS AND JELLYBEAN and flash version 11.1.115.12 (8/9/2012) (latest..for now) LATEST VERSION IS BUILT TO BE EASIER/MORE RELIABLE FOR SOME USERS

TESTED: Confirmed on Galaxy SII on CMX. Turns out Jelly Bean (and maybe ICS) have changed the order on boot so that init.d runs BEFORE flash overwrites our hack on each boot. In other words, the flash APK is re-unpacked in its non-hacked form by adobeflashplayer on each boot somewhere after the boot animation and probably just before the homescreen is displayed. The init.d scripts we run are unfortunately run at the VERY beginning, while the OEM logo is still displayed (BEFORE the boot animation). Because of this, script manager is currently absolutely required until I can find another "entry point" to run these scripts

It is this unfortuante order that requires using script manager to run the script "on boot" later in the process.

Be sure BUSYBOX is installed or GTFO
    It IS typically included in most custom roms, but still, MAKE SURE.

HOWTO Video (without using the adb method above though it still works just fine) thanks to jjdevega if you need it here http://youtu.be/rXTdIyMP_Xs

OLD install instructions below for those without CWM:

So here goes.
    1. Update flash via the market to the latest version
    2. Download & unzip the 2 files linked below to be pushed to /data/flash
    3. adb shell mkdir /data/flash
    4. adb push S98fixflash /data/flash
    5. adb push libflashplayer.so /data/flash
    5.5 (almost forgot) Install Busybox from the market, let it run, grant su, and have it install the latest busybox for you
    6. Install Script Manager from the market
    7. Open Script Manager and be sure to select to give it root access
    8. Browse to /data/flash in Script Manager, select S98fixflash and select root and boot options (thus making it run on each boot, with root permissions)
    9. Reboot (Press + hold power, power off)
    10. Open Browser, open settings, advanced, user agent string, desktop
    Updated OP for 11.1.115.7
    Updated OP. Tried to get this to work without script manager to no avail, see explanation below:

TESTED: Confirmed on Galaxy SII on CMX. Turns out Jelly Bean (and maybe ICS) have changed the order on boot so that init.d runs BEFORE flash overwrites our hack on each boot. In other words, the flash APK is re-unpacked in its non-hacked form by adobeflashplayer on each boot somewhere after the boot animation and probably just before the homescreen is displayed. The init.d scripts we run are unfortunately run at the VERY beginning, while the OEM logo is still displayed (BEFORE the boot animation). Because of this, script manager is currently absolutely required until I can find another "entry point" to run these scripts

It is this unfortuante order that requires using script manager to run the script "on boot" later in the process.
    For those saying they got this to work, how were they able to get a root adb shell on their comp to make this work? Although rooted with vipermods tool, I cannot get a root adb shell through windows, and my understanding is that it takes a modified boot-img for that to happen.

Is there a way to make this mod work from a terminal on the tablet? Thanks!

Edit: Tried opening the prime's internal storage up through windows, going to android/data and creating a 'flash' folder and moving the two files into it. Then going through script manager and setting the script to run as root at boot.

Didnt work.

Any help?

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Also, is it just me or does ScriptManager constantly force close for anyone else?

Connectbot can replace adb. Also, you don't need to use adb at all, you can use root explorer to place the files in the correct locations, it's just easier to write a step-by-step that way. Also, if you rooted, you could try running from that same folder as you will have the adb tool within the "one click root" folder you most likely used (or normal platform tools if you used jcase's step-by-step).

Script Manager doesn't have issues for me, it's very popular software and well made. Maybe try uninstalling/reinstalling? If not, clear cache/data for script manager and try again? Not sure...

EDIT: If you don't HAVE root, and try to OBTAIN root while running script manager, it will force close I believe. Make SURE you have root, use adfree or titanium backup to confirm maybe...
    thanks!

Successful on HP Touchpad running CM9.

Installed 11.1.115.20 flash apk

Flashed JB-ICS_flashhack_hulu11.1.115.12.zip found in OP

Confirmed that:
    S98fixflash in /data/flash
    (had to place myself)
    libflashplayer.so in /data/flash
    Busybox Installed with SU
    Script Manager Installed with SU
    SM configured as in OP:
    Browse to /data/flash in Script Manager, select S98fixflash and select root and boot options (thus making it run on each boot, with root permissions)