5,594,438 Members 34,142 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Extending built-in antennacable (SGS I9000)

Tip us?

nitrous²
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 480
Default Extending built-in antennacable (SGS I9000)

So, i got a problem with my i9000. When I'm in a building, the phone loses the mobile network connection and I cant't receive or make calls. I tried almost every modem, several cfw and official fw. No luck...I already dissasembled my sgs, just to look if there's a disconnected pin or another hw damage, but everything was fine. Then I bought SIM cards of every provider in Germany, just to be sure it's not because of the lame radio capacity of my current provider (I'm using prepaid)...the same story with everyone of them, no signal, no line or whatever it is called. There aren't any hw damages, I think, because in that case I wouldn't have wifi or gps signal either and as you can imagine, I don't have problems with wifi or gps.

Now, I have an idea. Is it possible to extend the built-in antennacable? Ok, of course it is possible, but would it take effect? I mean, there would be more space on the cable to receive signals.

I really need to know it, if this is not going 2 work, I'll have to sell it and thats very sad, because I have it now for just about a week

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

DarthCaniac
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Would it be possible to get some sort of cell-network amplifier?

Similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electro...ef=pd_cp_cps_4
(That is for use in a car, but there are similar ones for use in the office or at home).

nitrous²
Old
(Last edited by nitrous²; 5th January 2012 at 10:16 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 480
Nice, but there's nothing similar to that in germany or maybe I haven't find it yet. Until there isn't another solution, please give me some feedback to my idea of extending the cable.

Ok, so some of my relatives have got SGS too and I took them to compare the network quality. I could see, that only my SGS has bad signal. The other two hadn't those problems. So I guess there's really a HW damage. I ordered an Antenna module but I'm not sure if this will solve the problem. I'm sure there are other parts on its Mainboard which are related to nework singal receiving. Am I right?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

russ18uk
Old
Thanks Meter 53
You said you tried different firmware; but have you tried different modems?
The Following User Says Thank You to russ18uk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nitrous²
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 480
Yes I did, but thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous² View Post
I tried almost every modem, several cfw and official fw. No luck...I already dissasembled my sgs, just to look if there's a disconnected pin or another hw damage, but everything was fine.

russ18uk
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Apologies, I had missed that as I was intoxicated :/

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

SAI Peregrinus
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I know that at least the Vibrant (very similar to the i9000) has a test-bench antenna port still accessible on the mainboard (next to the SIM card, under a rubber cover). I'm not sure if it's for the GPS or for the cell antenna though. And either way it's pretty impractical to use the phone with the back off and an antenna plugged in, though I suppose one could drill a hole in the cover.

nitrous²
Old
(Last edited by nitrous²; 7th January 2012 at 04:08 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 480
Ok, for me, it's impossible to extend the antenna. I counfounded the WiFi Antenna cable with the one for Mobile radio. Here's a Pic;

As you can see, it'll be very very difficult to extend those plates. I still assume, there's a damage on the Main-/Mother -board and not on that Antenna Module. If the module arrives, I'll build it in and give it a try. Btw, has someone of you an idea where I can buy a board for the i9000? I'm just searching now for a while but can't find any.

urra901109
Old
Thanks Meter 15
i dont think its a good idea to extend the antenna, as the antenna needs to be in exact length to work but you can always try. + the receptacle that you found may be just to improve the GSM signal... best bet is the antenna-mainboard connection. maybe oxide buildup causing it not electrically connected. try to clean it first with some fast-evaporating liquid like zippo lighter gas.
The Following User Says Thank You to urra901109 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nitrous²
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 480
Ok, I don't know what the problem is. I've built in the new antenna module and I still don't have signal! This can't be a damage on the mainboard because in that case I wouldn't receive any signal but actually, I do. It's like all the parts which are related to signal receiving are working but not to 100%.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium