Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,583 Members 38,426 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nokia Lumia 900 may not support T-Mobile 3G after all.

Tip us?

cx1
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetvito View Post
its number 3. As the discussion is about the Lumia 900, a exclusive US device. Blame the CARRIER AT&T. This is not a unlocked world phone.
The unlocked world phone doesn't support it either.
Giant signatures are annoying.

Fabian Cortez
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoken View Post
The recent FCC info from the Lumia 900 is yielding some promising info. Apparently it lists HSPA+ support on 1700. They list WCDMA IV as supported.
You are correct.

The phone will support T-Mobile's HSPA+ on 1700 MHz and the refarmed 1900 MHz. It will also support T-Mobile's LTE once launched in 2013 as AT&T and T-Mobile use the same AWS (1700 MHz) band for LTE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	929176   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	175
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	929177   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	929178   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	929179  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fabian Cortez For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

geoken
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian Cortez View Post
You are correct.

The phone will support T-Mobile's HSPA+ on 1700 MHz and the refarmed 1900 MHz. It will also support T-Mobile's LTE once launched in 2013 as AT&T and T-Mobile use the same AWS (1700 MHz) band for LTE.
Do those pics mean the international version will also support the bands? Or does the FINAS review Nokia products even when they're export only?

Fabian Cortez
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoken View Post
Do those pics mean the international version will also support the bands? Or does the FINAS review Nokia products even when they're export only?
I'm not too sure about that. That's simply one of fifteen documents on the FCC's website.

I'll provide a link once I surpass eight posts...

937dytboi
Old
Thanks Meter 11
From the looks of things it seems the phone is a quad band and will work on T-mobile. I may be wrong but this is what I was told and read. Im torn on if I should switch to AT&T or stay with T-mobile. AT&T iphone devices get 3g bars at my job while i get barely any bars to surf the net. T-mobile isnt very good in my area. LTE for AT&T isnt even launched in my area and nobody knows when it will so I would be paying for a service I cant even take advantage of. But since the unlocked version supports HSPA+ it would be great on T-mobile. I just need to know the pricw of the phone unlocked and when it will be available.

Fabian Cortez
Old
(Last edited by Fabian Cortez; 7th March 2012 at 11:02 PM.) Reason: Quadband UMTS, not pentaband.
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 937dytboi View Post
From the looks of things it seems the phone is a quad band and will work on T-mobile. I may be wrong but this is what I was told and read. Im torn on if I should switch to AT&T or stay with T-mobile. AT&T iphone devices get 3g bars at my job while i get barely any bars to surf the net. T-mobile isnt very good in my area. LTE for AT&T isnt even launched in my area and nobody knows when it will so I would be paying for a service I cant even take advantage of. But since the unlocked version supports HSPA+ it would be great on T-mobile. I just need to know the pricw of the phone unlocked and when it will be available.
The phone is quadband (850/900/1800/1900) GSM, quadband (850/1700/1900/2100) UMTS/HSPA+, and dualband (700/1700) LTE.

It will work on 1900 MHz GSM, 1700 MHz and 1900 MHz (after the refarm) HSPA+, and 1700 MHz LTE on T-Mobile USA.

It's conceivable to call it a pentaband UMTS phone as Band VI (800 MHz) is supported as it's a subset of Band V (850 MHz). Although this would only apply to Japan.

Also, Band IV, whether it be W-CDMA (UMTS)/HSPA+ or LTE refers to 1700 MHz only and not Band I which is 2100 MHz. All the other bands' number references stem from their approximate download frequency except for Band IV. Band IV's download frequency is close to Band I's (in fact it falls within its range) but its upload frequency is different. Therefore, in an effort to differentiate it from Band I, they labeled it by its upload frequency of [approximately] 1700 MHz.

The FCC documents will only show what bands are being used in the USA. Hence the omission of the other bands during testing and validation.

EDIT: The international version drops LTE for 42 Mbps HSPA+. Band IV (1700 MHz) is not listed on Nokia's website for the international version either.

Someone would have to purchase the international version and test it out stateside to determine if Band IV is present.

Contrary to what Nokia's US website states, this device supports UMTS 2100 MHz and not UMTS 900 MHz (see attachment).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dfdfs.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	936514  

alodar1
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by 937dytboi View Post
T-Mobile has been hinting for a couple of weeks about adding something that is competable. That means, to me, something that can indeed compete with the iPhone class devices. T-Mobile does not carry any android devices that can compete. The biggest rumor I saw was the 900 unlocked in the June-ish timeframe. Perhaps a titan or 2, and perhaps the Focus S or varient. My understanding is AT&T owns an exclusive release for 45 days on the 900 and varients.

Without a bigger lure, T-Mobile has nothing to offer customers above the low end cheap devices...and the CEO did mention a bigger Windows Phone footprint...in 1 article he did say Nokia also....so...who knows.....fingers crossed.
Regards

@Alodar1

Device Graveyard:
Nokia 925, Nokia Lumia 900, HTX 8x, Motorola Xoom, Focus S, Lumia 710, Dell Venue Pro, HD7, Droid Bionic, T-MobileG2x, HTC Sensation, HD2, Nexus One, Cliq, MyTouch 3g, TP2, AT&T Pure, Xperia 1, AT&T Fuze, Touch Dual, Hermes

Gltokensp06
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian Cortez View Post
The phone is quadband (850/900/1800/1900) GSM, quadband (850/1700/1900/2100) UMTS/HSPA+, and dualband (700/1700) LTE.

It will work on 1900 MHz GSM, 1700 MHz and 1900 MHz (after the refarm) HSPA+, and 1700 MHz LTE on T-Mobile USA.

It's conceivable to call it a pentaband UMTS phone as Band VI (800 MHz) is supported as it's a subset of Band V (850 MHz). Although this would only apply to Japan.

Also, Band IV, whether it be W-CDMA (UMTS)/HSPA+ or LTE refers to 1700 MHz only and not Band I which is 2100 MHz. All the other bands' number references stem from their approximate download frequency except for Band IV. Band IV's download frequency is close to Band I's (in fact it falls within its range) but its upload frequency is different. Therefore, in an effort to differentiate it from Band I, they labeled it by its upload frequency of [approximately] 1700 MHz.

The FCC documents will only show what bands are being used in the USA. Hence the omission of the other bands during testing and validation.

EDIT: The international version drops LTE for 42 Mbps HSPA+. Band IV (1700 MHz) is not listed on Nokia's website for the international version either.

Someone would have to purchase the international version and test it out stateside to determine if Band IV is present.

Contrary to what Nokia's US website states, this device supports UMTS 2100 MHz and not UMTS 900 MHz (see attachment).

That's exactly what I thought. I'm looking at the quadband radios and thinking that Nokia is actually reporting incorrectly about their phone. I don't know if this is some carrier ploy or sheer incompetence, but it looks like the Lumia 900 both ATT variant as well as the International variant will both work on Tmobile's HSDPA (2100MHz band) at a theoretical 21Mbps (ATT) and 42Mbps(Int'l).

I'm excited that I may not have to switch to ATT for this phone. I'm still rocking my HD2 with WP7 and the Lumia 900 will be my next phone.

tai4de2
Old
Thanks Meter 37
I'll believe that the 900 has AWS UMTS support only when I see it, regardless of what the FCC documents say.

It's possible, for example, that the device will be sold configured so that AWS is disabled, even though what was tested included all the bands enabled so they wouldn't have to re-submit in case they wanted to tinker with MO-specific configurations.

Gltokensp06
Old
Thanks Meter 0
We'll were on xda aren't we? I'm sure we'll get a clever dev to be able to re-enable it.