Thread Closed

Galaxy Note colour rendering issue: started working on it.

8th April 2012, 11:01 PM   |  #641  
a3plew's Avatar
Senior Member
los angeles
Thanks Meter: 24
 
231 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
The att note recently got a ics leak. The banding issues seem to be fixed as can be seen on the xda app splash screen. They changed something so with the test image with the numbers it is a un smooth trasition from about number 7. With gingerbread you could see all the numbers. so they are changing something. It seems to create a new problem with the greys though . But it's something that I will be temporarily happy with until this is hopefully resolved.
9th April 2012, 10:24 AM   |  #642  
EdgaBimbam's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vilnius
Thanks Meter: 1,130
 
2,558 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3plew

The att note recently got a ics leak. The banding issues seem to be fixed as can be seen on the xda app splash screen. They changed something so with the test image with the numbers it is a un smooth trasition from about number 7. With gingerbread you could see all the numbers. so they are changing something. It seems to create a new problem with the greys though . But it's something that I will be temporarily happy with until this is hopefully resolved.

what about iron man 2 trailer? there is black color clipping? ;D
9th April 2012, 04:42 PM   |  #643  
iffamies's Avatar
Member
Flag Salo
Thanks Meter: 4
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Donate to Me
More
If my Note has these color isses etc. Can I ask warranty repair to replace the screen to "fix" it?
9th April 2012, 05:04 PM   |  #644  
btyork's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 217
 
1,245 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iffamies

If my Note has these color isses etc. Can I ask warranty repair to replace the screen to "fix" it?

Ha! No.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
9th April 2012, 05:09 PM   |  #645  
EdgaBimbam's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vilnius
Thanks Meter: 1,130
 
2,558 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by btyork

Ha! No.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

i got refund because of black color clipping, so dont say no ^^
9th April 2012, 11:05 PM   |  #646  
Senior Member
Flag Wellington
Thanks Meter: 244
 
1,578 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgaBimbam

i got refund because of black color clipping, so dont say no ^^

He asked if it can be repaired, not if he could return it for a refund.
10th April 2012, 03:05 AM   |  #647  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
111 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
I registered to relate a couple of stories that sound like this problem.

I worked for a company that made large alpha-numeric displays using character arrays build of a 5x7 array of incandescent bulbs. To save money on ascii to 5x7 encoders we would turn on 1 out 8 characters at time with 8 times the power. The filaments in the bulbs would average the power.

Fast forward to the invention of LEDs. The above method did not work because even though the average power was the same the LEDs switched so fast the human eye would perceive the peak power. We had to crank the peak power down.

Fast forward again and I was looking at the gamma test and I said maybe my eyes are seeing the peak power making most of the bars perceived as bright. The interesting thing, that kind of confirms this, is that when I look at the gamma test on my Note using the camera on Captivate in a dark room the bars are not all bright. They are graduated. I am guessing in low light the Captivate's sensor "shutter" is open longer than the Note refresh rate to average the power. I am also guessing the lower bits of the color pallet modulate the power pulse width(PWM) and the peak is set by the upper bits.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. Incidentally not all eyes are the same. I know of at least one person could not look at our LED displays because they strobed(especially under florescent lights).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulF8080 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th April 2012, 07:06 AM   |  #648  
Senior Member
Flag Cleveland, OH
Thanks Meter: 29
 
221 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
One interesting thing I noticed was with the two Notes side by side on the previous page how one seems to be more blobbed, where the other is more defined, but has worse banding. If you look at the one that has more definition the display itself looks brighter vs. the more blobbed one is dimmer. I was able to go into a dark room and get both results. By adjusting brightness a lot higher I was able to get pretty much the right image, then by lower brightness or going back to auto I was seeing the left image. So in my mind part of the reason people are seeing such different results also depends on the screen brightness. Similar to the crosshatch/linen pattern or whatever you want to call it. When lower brightness that background becomes more apparent, but at high brightness it seems to disappear.
10th April 2012, 11:14 AM   |  #649  
Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
51 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by duowing

One interesting thing I noticed was with the two Notes side by side on the previous page how one seems to be more blobbed, where the other is more defined, but has worse banding. If you look at the one that has more definition the display itself looks brighter vs. the more blobbed one is dimmer. I was able to go into a dark room and get both results. By adjusting brightness a lot higher I was able to get pretty much the right image, then by lower brightness or going back to auto I was seeing the left image. So in my mind part of the reason people are seeing such different results also depends on the screen brightness. Similar to the crosshatch/linen pattern or whatever you want to call it. When lower brightness that background becomes more apparent, but at high brightness it seems to disappear.

I set both devices on the same brightness and color mode, so thats not it.

The main difference is that the right one shows better blacks, where mine, the one on the left, is more grey, so the gradient seems more smooth when in fact its just washed out.

This is because that when the pixels are lit, the darkest color it shows is grey instead of near black.

I really hope this will be fixed soon, because I love everything else about my note and I'd hate to go back to a smaller screen.
Last edited by Rezz; 10th April 2012 at 11:17 AM.
10th April 2012, 03:00 PM   |  #650  
celtichazard's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
268 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezz

I set both devices on the same brightness and color mode, so thats not it.

The main difference is that the right one shows better blacks, where mine, the one on the left, is more grey, so the gradient seems more smooth when in fact its just washed out.

This is because that when the pixels are lit, the darkest color it shows is grey instead of near black.

I really hope this will be fixed soon, because I love everything else about my note and I'd hate to go back to a smaller screen.

I have the same problem my withe note displays more brightness, the other display like you say is lke a Grey filter on the screen or something but the brigness is not at max

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy Note GT-N7000 General by ThreadRank