Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,398 Members 39,692 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Note colour rendering issue: started working on it.

Tip us?
 
a3plew
Old
#641  
a3plew's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 231
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: los angeles
The att note recently got a ics leak. The banding issues seem to be fixed as can be seen on the xda app splash screen. They changed something so with the test image with the numbers it is a un smooth trasition from about number 7. With gingerbread you could see all the numbers. so they are changing something. It seems to create a new problem with the greys though . But it's something that I will be temporarily happy with until this is hopefully resolved.
 
EdgaBimbam
Old
#642  
EdgaBimbam's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,130
Posts: 2,558
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vilnius

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3plew View Post
The att note recently got a ics leak. The banding issues seem to be fixed as can be seen on the xda app splash screen. They changed something so with the test image with the numbers it is a un smooth trasition from about number 7. With gingerbread you could see all the numbers. so they are changing something. It seems to create a new problem with the greys though . But it's something that I will be temporarily happy with until this is hopefully resolved.
what about iron man 2 trailer? there is black color clipping? ;D
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” André Gide
Need help?
 


iPhone 5 16GB White
 
iffamies
Old
#643  
iffamies's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 41
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Salo

 
DONATE TO ME
If my Note has these color isses etc. Can I ask warranty repair to replace the screen to "fix" it?
 
btyork
Old
#644  
btyork's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 217
Posts: 1,245
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by iffamies View Post
If my Note has these color isses etc. Can I ask warranty repair to replace the screen to "fix" it?
Ha! No.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
Current Device:
- A White Samsung Galaxy Note.
---
Past Devices:
- White T-Mobile SGS2 (T989)
- Custom HTC MyTouch 4g
- TMOUS Galaxy Tab 7"
- Motorola Defy
- 2x TMOUS HTC HD2
- TMOUS G1


Remember, the search feature is your friend!
 
EdgaBimbam
Old
#645  
EdgaBimbam's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,130
Posts: 2,558
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vilnius

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by btyork View Post
Ha! No.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
i got refund because of black color clipping, so dont say no ^^
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” André Gide
Need help?
 


iPhone 5 16GB White
 
knightnz
Old
#646  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 244
Posts: 1,578
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wellington

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgaBimbam View Post
i got refund because of black color clipping, so dont say no ^^
He asked if it can be repaired, not if he could return it for a refund.
---

Spelling essentials:
1) There is NO SUCH WORD as "alot" - It's "a lot"
2) The shortened form of You are is You're - NOT Your
3) Loosing & Loose have completely different meanings to Losing & Lose.
 
PaulF8080
Old
#647  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 111
Join Date: Apr 2012
I registered to relate a couple of stories that sound like this problem.

I worked for a company that made large alpha-numeric displays using character arrays build of a 5x7 array of incandescent bulbs. To save money on ascii to 5x7 encoders we would turn on 1 out 8 characters at time with 8 times the power. The filaments in the bulbs would average the power.

Fast forward to the invention of LEDs. The above method did not work because even though the average power was the same the LEDs switched so fast the human eye would perceive the peak power. We had to crank the peak power down.

Fast forward again and I was looking at the gamma test and I said maybe my eyes are seeing the peak power making most of the bars perceived as bright. The interesting thing, that kind of confirms this, is that when I look at the gamma test on my Note using the camera on Captivate in a dark room the bars are not all bright. They are graduated. I am guessing in low light the Captivate's sensor "shutter" is open longer than the Note refresh rate to average the power. I am also guessing the lower bits of the color pallet modulate the power pulse width(PWM) and the peak is set by the upper bits.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. Incidentally not all eyes are the same. I know of at least one person could not look at our LED displays because they strobed(especially under florescent lights).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulF8080 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
duowing
Old
#648  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 221
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
One interesting thing I noticed was with the two Notes side by side on the previous page how one seems to be more blobbed, where the other is more defined, but has worse banding. If you look at the one that has more definition the display itself looks brighter vs. the more blobbed one is dimmer. I was able to go into a dark room and get both results. By adjusting brightness a lot higher I was able to get pretty much the right image, then by lower brightness or going back to auto I was seeing the left image. So in my mind part of the reason people are seeing such different results also depends on the screen brightness. Similar to the crosshatch/linen pattern or whatever you want to call it. When lower brightness that background becomes more apparent, but at high brightness it seems to disappear.
Current Devices:

Nokia Lumia 920 - Yellow
Nokia Lumia 1020 - Black


Previous Devices:
Incredible -> Fascinate -> Thunderbolt -> HD7 -> Galaxy Note -> Samsung Focus -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S III(i777) -> Galaxy S III(i9300) -> Galaxy Note II(N7100) -> Galaxy Note II(i317)
 
Rezz
Old
(Last edited by Rezz; 10th April 2012 at 11:17 AM.)
#649  
Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 51
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by duowing View Post
One interesting thing I noticed was with the two Notes side by side on the previous page how one seems to be more blobbed, where the other is more defined, but has worse banding. If you look at the one that has more definition the display itself looks brighter vs. the more blobbed one is dimmer. I was able to go into a dark room and get both results. By adjusting brightness a lot higher I was able to get pretty much the right image, then by lower brightness or going back to auto I was seeing the left image. So in my mind part of the reason people are seeing such different results also depends on the screen brightness. Similar to the crosshatch/linen pattern or whatever you want to call it. When lower brightness that background becomes more apparent, but at high brightness it seems to disappear.
I set both devices on the same brightness and color mode, so thats not it.

The main difference is that the right one shows better blacks, where mine, the one on the left, is more grey, so the gradient seems more smooth when in fact its just washed out.

This is because that when the pixels are lit, the darkest color it shows is grey instead of near black.

I really hope this will be fixed soon, because I love everything else about my note and I'd hate to go back to a smaller screen.
 
celtichazard
Old
#650  
celtichazard's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 255
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezz View Post
I set both devices on the same brightness and color mode, so thats not it.

The main difference is that the right one shows better blacks, where mine, the one on the left, is more grey, so the gradient seems more smooth when in fact its just washed out.

This is because that when the pixels are lit, the darkest color it shows is grey instead of near black.

I really hope this will be fixed soon, because I love everything else about my note and I'd hate to go back to a smaller screen.
I have the same problem my withe note displays more brightness, the other display like you say is lke a Grey filter on the screen or something but the brigness is not at max

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes