Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,301 Members 50,096 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Thinking of getting a 16GB tab s

Tip us?

im_iceman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 131
Default Thinking of getting a 16GB tab s

Thoughts? Advice?

Sent from my LT15i using xda premium
Are you a silly Billy???

Previous Phones - Samsung Tocco; SE Xperia X10; Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro; SE Xperia arc -Bootloader UNLOCKED

Current Phone- Sony Xperia T - Stock.. for once!

Tablet- Sony Tablet S - SGPT111GB/S - looking to upgrade to something decent!

unclespoon
Old
Thanks Meter 128
If you like gaming I'd definitely say this is the best tablet out. For the rest of the tasks it gets the job done too. It's tough too - I've dropped mine from waist height twice without any damage - not to say you should give it a try... There isn't a tablet out there that I'd rather have, and that's saying a lot cause usually these things become outdated within months or even weeks of release!
Sony Ericsson T610
Nokia 6600
Motorola SLVR L9
Sony Ericsson K750
Motorola RIZR Z3
iPhone 2G
myTouch 4G
myTouch 4G Slide
Samsung Galaxy S II
Sony Tablet S

HYPER-X10
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Fellow arc owner here, and and I say go for it. Very happy with my 16gb S but do note that only about half that storage is available to you. Not a problem if you plan on using a decent size sd card though.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

pcoulson
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Hi,

I got a 32Gb a week after it was released in the UK. Am very pleased with it so far. I suppose it's just a case of knowing that you aren't going to be able to do anything all that different with it, other than the things you can already do with a laptop. It's for emails / surfing / social networking and the bits and bobs you can already do with an Android phone.

The overall size is very good and the screen is crystal clear. The speakers are disappointing. I found installing ASWLauncher EX was a big bonus - speeds up the UI and gives you room for more apps in a dock along the bottom of your 5 screens.

I've put a 32Gb full size SD card in the slot, and am using MX Video Player app to play movies from it, and PowerAmp to play mp3s from it.

I'd highly recommend getting the dock, as it means less use of the power cable, which feels a bit flimsy and gives you the impression that it could easily be broken. It also turns the tab into a nice picture-frame!

For transferring files to and from the tablet, I'd recommend FTPServer on the tablet (https://market.android.com/details?i...TPServer&hl=en), and Filezilla on a pc/laptop. This removes the need to constantly put a cable in the side of the device, as the transfers are done wirelessly.

I haven't scratched the screen in all the time I've had it, and don't think it would scratch without some serious force.

... Just some of my views! Hope that helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pcoulson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Silver-Eye
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoulson View Post
Hi,

For transferring files to and from the tablet, I'd recommend FTPServer on the tablet (https://market.android.com/details?i...TPServer&hl=en), and Filezilla on a pc/laptop. This removes the need to constantly put a cable in the side of the device, as the transfers are done wirelessly.
Thanks for this, I didnt know I could do file transfers wirelessly.. up and running..

pcoulson
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Eye View Post
Thanks for this, I didnt know I could do file transfers wirelessly.. up and running..

Happy to be of help! Was really pleased when this worked - use it on my galaxy s too.

kryddan
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Can't say much more that hasn't already been said here,but this.

I love this machine, been downloading free ps-games from ps store, I've been downloading free movies from video unlimited. I have bought an SDXC 128GB card and formated it in FAT32 and put it into the machine. Works wonderful.

If the ps store force closes? clear cache and data and it would work again.
Got the usb-adapter cable today. it works fine with normal usb-memories. Have not tried it with my ps3-controller yet, since I'm not home.

Have not tried 720p/1080p movies on it yet, but I see no point in why. since the screen is "only" 1280*800. xvid/divx works beautiful and takes up little space.

Ok so the gfx isn't perfect on them ps-games, but what did you expect from games that old. Besides, I play games because they are enjoyable, not because they look good

just my two cents

wintermute000
Old
(Last edited by wintermute000; 7th January 2012 at 09:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 148
don't forget emulation works perfectly too (not just the PSN store games, which BTW are emulated anyway). So you have almost the entire PSX/SNES/megadrive/neogeo/N64 library potentially available, together with wireless controllers working out of the box.

FWIW, for video decoding, I've found using apple tv presets works perfectly, and preserves 720p
The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SWFlyerUK
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Is worlds scariest police chases on emulator?

fargasj
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
100% agreed, I love mine.