FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

CWM for Galaxy Player 5.0 US (YP-G70XAA)

308 posts
Thanks Meter: 270

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hello all,

I'm working on porting CWM to our beloved Galaxy Player 5.0 US edition. I'm loosely following the guide here. I cannot promise that I'll be able to port it successfully, but I can promise that I'll brick my device at least once.

tl;dr : This post says some guy is working on CWM. Woot!

-apapousek

6th January 2012, 09:53 PM |#2  
Flag Lenexa
Thanks Meter: 1,685

Donate to Me
More
Your sending it to the people are you? And good luck, I only wish I knew how to do this
7th January 2012, 02:54 AM |#3  
Flag Indiana
Thanks Meter: 5

Donate to Me
More
Apapouseck-

Are you a dev? PM me and give me your email address please. I have a question.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
7th January 2012, 04:19 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 270

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoller1

Your sending it to the people are you? And good luck, I only wish I knew how to do this

Of course I'm distributing it. Once I get a working copy, it's being thrown on github, or my own server, and given freely, open source, blah blah blah. No proprietary crap, except maybe enough drivers to get it up and running. But sources for those, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramjammer

Apapouseck-

Are you a dev? PM me and give me your email address please. I have a question.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Well, technically not a dev. I just like taking software, messing around with it, seeing what it can do. My email address is anthony@papousek.org
8th January 2012, 03:49 AM |#5  
Flag Philadelphia Pa
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Can't wait

Sent from my YP-G70 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk
8th January 2012, 04:26 PM |#6  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,326

Donate to Me
More
That post, as it says, doesn't cover Samsung devices. It turns out that a while back, Koush made a commit to mkvendor.sh that allows it to operate without an example boot.img.

However, the problem is that there's a remaining bug in mkvendor.sh that TMPDIR is not set in the code path that is triggered when you don't specify boot.img

Right now I'm at a state where CWM starts and runs, but somehow it is treating the tilt sensor as volup/voldn input - so the thing scrolls eternally.
8th January 2012, 04:56 PM |#7  
Flag Santiago
Thanks Meter: 50

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

That post, as it says, doesn't cover Samsung devices. It turns out that a while back, Koush made a commit to mkvendor.sh that allows it to operate without an example boot.img.

However, the problem is that there's a remaining bug in mkvendor.sh that TMPDIR is not set in the code path that is triggered when you don't specify boot.img

Right now I'm at a state where CWM starts and runs, but somehow it is treating the tilt sensor as volup/voldn input - so the thing scrolls eternally.

Maybe you need the s3c-keypad file to correct this or changing somewhere in the source /dev/input/eventX to another one.
8th January 2012, 07:22 PM |#8  
Flag Owego, NY

Donate to Me
More
Looks like I need to figure out how to filter out /dev/input/event1, and only pay attention to event4 and event5 (or just event4)
8th January 2012, 09:43 PM |#9  
Flag Owego, NY

Donate to Me
More
I've got something that seems to be working... Needs a lot more testing. Recovery is important, and if it's broken, can really **** up someone's device.

Also, the way I got it working seems to be a massive hackjob, I need to chat with Koush if there's a better way to do things. Either that or a LOT of CWM porters have done source code modifications without publishing them (Which, while not ideal is allowed for CWM since it is Apache-licensed not GPL.)
8th January 2012, 10:57 PM |#10  
Flag Santiago
Thanks Meter: 50

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

I've got something that seems to be working... Needs a lot more testing. Recovery is important, and if it's broken, can really **** up someone's device.

Also, the way I got it working seems to be a massive hackjob, I need to chat with Koush if there's a better way to do things. Either that or a LOT of CWM porters have done source code modifications without publishing them (Which, while not ideal is allowed for CWM since it is Apache-licensed not GPL.)

I'm glad you got a clockworkmod which seems to work. Let us know what koush says and if it'll be official support to CWM on our devices.
8th January 2012, 11:52 PM |#11  
Flag Owego, NY

Donate to Me
More
Yup.

Main things you need to consider when building:
1) The recovery.fstab for Samsung devices isn't appropriate for CWM. One appropriate for CWM has just three entries:
mount point, filesystem, device

The filesystem format options (fourth and fifth columns) seen in stock recovery.fstab will screw up CWM

2) /dev/input/event1 MUST be filtered on SGP5 US devices (and probably international too) - the accelerometer spams keystrokes. This is in ev_init() in minui/events.c
3) Recovery.fstab can't be in /etc - but this path is hardcoded in CWM so you must change the path in roots.c - SGSII seems to use /misc instead of /etc - this is in load_volume_table() in roots.c

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread