FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[Q] Dell Streak 5 Gets Honeycomb

94 posts
Thanks Meter: 8
 
By crslaytor, Member on 6th January 2012, 08:43 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I have found this, it is a post from 2 days ago , 4th of january 2012.

but i am rooted and running custom rom, so it says invalid version if i try to check for updates.
anyone seen the official 3.0 yet? might perhaps keep us busy until we get ICS from someone?

"We can tell you now, news which will come as bitter sweet for Dell Streak fans, the Dell Streak 5 has officially got the Honeycomb update we all have been waiting for, but sadly the Dell Streak 7, which was recently discontinued, has been confirmed to not have an update to Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0).

If you want Honeycomb and have a Dell Streak 5, then you can update itís OS through the phone, the package comes to a total of 155mbs (so be careful if youíre on a limited data plan, if itís an unlimited plan or unlimited WiFi youíre cool).

Sadly though, it seems the Streak 7 will go out of date quicker as no update is in sight and it is not really logical for Dell to continue working with it, as they have the Dell Venue and Venue Pro to focus on.

Dell said this about the Streak 7 via their Twitter account @DellCares:

@giveen Unfortunately, no plans to develop ICS for Streak7. See here if you are interested in unofficial version del.ly/6018RUTp -AB

ó (@DellCares) December 21, 2011
"
 
 
6th January 2012, 08:57 PM |#2  
Member
Flag Washington,D.C
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
where did you find this? and i also thought honeycomb wasnt developed for the streak 5 because it takes away phone capabilities?
6th January 2012, 08:59 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
i have found it here

but it is all over google now
6th January 2012, 09:26 PM |#4  
Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,611
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP Tablet PC

We can tell you now, news which will come as bitter sweet for Dell Streak fans, the Dell Streak 5 has officially got the Honeycomb update we all have been waiting for, but sadly the Dell Streak 7, which was recently discontinued, has been confirmed to not have an update to Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0).
...

...
Dell said this about the Streak 7 via their Twitter account @DellCares:

@giveen Unfortunately, no plans to develop ICS for Streak7. See here if you are interested in unofficial version del.ly/6018RUTp -AB

ó (@DellCares) December 21, 2011

This is true except for the part about the S5 getting HC, there has never been any indication of the S5 recieving anything but 2.2 and 2.3 for one region. It's also old enough that even if it were a nexus 5 or something it STILL wouldnt get the update. (It's nearing the 18 months after it's first release, it's also hardware-wise very similar to the N1)


Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP Tablet PC

If you want Honeycomb and have a Dell Streak 5, then you can update itís OS through the phone, the package comes to a total of 155mbs (so be careful if youíre on a limited data plan, if itís an unlimited plan or unlimited WiFi youíre cool).

Sadly though, it seems the Streak 7 will go out of date quicker as no update is in sight and it is not really logical for Dell to continue working with it, as they have the Dell Venue and Venue Pro to focus on.

This is more or less a complete lie

It wouldnt work on several levels:
Official roms either must: be compatable or remove gapps, official roms operate differently then custom roms
File size is too small: Official roms are ~170-230mb, unless you remove gapps
No phone support: HC does not support phones or the phone UI, also the s5's disp is too small for the tab ui

Venue isnt supported: Dell doesnt release updates for the venue, only the fact it's newer is why they still sell them (only 14/olleh recieves OTA updates for the venue)
6th January 2012, 10:54 PM |#5  
kurdo_kolene's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManii

Venue isnt supported: Dell doesnt release updates for the venue, only the fact it's newer is why they still sell them (only 14/olleh recieves OTA updates for the venue)

Reading this makes me think that Dell is regarding it's android devices as if it was selling hot-dogs from a hot-dog cart in Manhattan-here today, gone tomorrow, doesn't matter what happens to the customer who bought the product.
And it's a shame, because i like my Streak, and from the pictures i have seen and stats i've read, the Venue is probably pretty good, however, next time i shop around it'll be for a product that is supported and is developer friendly (hello drivers' source)
6th January 2012, 11:10 PM |#6  
Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,611
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurdo_kolene

Reading this makes me think that Dell is regarding it's android devices as if it was selling hot-dogs from a hot-dog cart in Manhattan-here today, gone tomorrow, doesn't matter what happens to the customer who bought the product.
And it's a shame, because i like my Streak, and from the pictures i have seen and stats i've read, the Venue is probably pretty good, however, next time i shop around it'll be for a product that is supported and is developer friendly (hello drivers' source)

To a degree they are, they're reasonably decent if it's hardware related, but unless it's a s5 you're pretty much on your own with software.

The Venue and S7 didnt recieve pkgs for most of it's updates.

Only thing dell has is that if you break it and it's not clearly your fault they'll prob replace/fix it for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheManii For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th January 2012, 03:14 AM |#7  
slaydog's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 526
 
More
Credit where credit is due. Dell's customer service was very helpful when my streak needed to be replaced...

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to slaydog For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th January 2012, 10:24 AM |#8  
kotelette's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Bad Waldsee
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaydog

Credit where credit is due. Dell's customer service was very helpful when my streak needed to be replaced...

same here. dell support rocks.
7th January 2012, 05:21 PM |#9  
lufc's Avatar
Retired Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Flag Blackpool UK
Thanks Meter: 1,577
 
Donate to Me
More
Please use the Q&A Forum for questions Thanks
Moving to Q&A
8th January 2012, 07:34 PM |#10  
Member
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 4
 
Donate to Me
More
I can't say much but if Hc is better than any of the custom Roms on this forum thats the only thing that'll get me to download it. But as of right now DCS v65 is doing it for me. As for Dells customer support I can't say I've dealt with them directly but thru my carrier I had my phone replaced twice for free due to battery n charger issues the third time I dropped my phone n the grollia glass stood up but made me get a nasty blotch of dead pixels n I had to pay 40 for shipping n handling n everything got replaced.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
21st January 2012, 05:25 AM |#11  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Thumbs up
This is what was written:-
"If you want Honeycomb and have a Dell Streak 5, then you can update itís OS through the phone, the package comes to a total of 155mbs (so be careful if youíre on a limited data plan, if itís an unlimited plan or unlimited WiFi youíre cool)." If this is available through the phone, How is it done? Nothing was said in the article linked or on "Dell cares" (yeh right!) twitter. I saw Honeycomb mentioned on another site & was surprised that I hadn't seen it here so I did the usual search & found this post. If this could be done over the phone this would be great for me as I am such a ninny when it comes to technology.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes