Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,296 Members 53,607 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Using scandinavian letters on the Transformer Prime

Tip us?

hannesstef
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Using scandinavian letters on the Transformer Prime

Hello.

I have a couple questions about the Transformer prime.

First of all i was wondering if you were able to use scandinavian letters on the keyboard if it is bought in the US. I need to have Icelandic letters on it but i'm not sure if i will be able to use the keyboard to write on it which is essential since i am planning on using it for university.

Also i was wondering about the size, is the keyboard about the size of an iPad 2 or smaller? I have a eeePC 900HA and the keyboard is a little bit too small for me. It gets annoying to write after a little while. If anyone has a 900HA or a similar netbook it would be awesome to get a size comparison.

Cheers

ph0ton
Old
(Last edited by ph0ton; 10th January 2012 at 01:41 PM.) Reason: sticker info added
Thanks Meter 4
I have a taiwan version of the keyboard dock, and I'm able to use danish keyboard layout. The actual danish keys like , and are not on the physical keyboard obviously . You should be able to get stickers from an internet vendor.
I'll see if icelandic is available when I get home, but it would surprise me if it is not.

I think the keyboard layout is comparable to the asus netbooks I have tried out. I would not recommend the prime, netbooks, Ipads or any none laptop without a desktop OS for study. You'd be far better of with a real computer like a Thinkpad or Macbook. But that's just my opinion regarding computers for university, the Prime has already taken over all my needs for a laptop at home
The Following User Says Thank You to ph0ton For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hannesstef
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for that and i will check this post to see if you can find the icelandic keyboard for it.

I don't need a powerhouse for my school computer because i don't use any powerhungry programs. What i need to use is a browser, view pdf files, email and a software that allows me to view, edit and create word documents, powerpoint spreadsheets and excel documents. Oh and also dropbox.

If the keyboard is as small as on the netbooks such as the 900HA i won't buy it. I have been using a netbook for school since the fall and i still haven't gotten used to the small keyboard.

I also have a pretty decent PC at home which i use for everything that the school computer can't handle. Also i tend to write essay's on it because i have a dual monitor setup and can have open documents on one screen and what i am writing on the other.

In what way do you not recommend the transformer for school, it would be very nice to have your input since you have one of those and have experience with using it. What are it's main drawbacks and so forth?

ph0ton
Old
Thanks Meter 4
So I have just checked the language, and there is no keyboard support for Icelandic . There is danish, norwegian (bokmaal) and swedish.

My reasons for not choosing a tablet or the prime for study is that the keyboards are cramped, and the OSs are not supporting a full fledged office suite like MS office or Libre office atm. You will be a first mover no doubt, and that might spell trouble when things get busy at uni with exams and so on. Don't get me wrong, the Prime would still be fantastic for research and notes, but as a worktool it cannot compete with a macbook or thinkpad in regards to keyboard, OS and academical app support. Come to think of it, the above is mostly a concern, I haven't made enough experience with the prime to fully back it up.

If you can afford it, the buy both. Unis often have great discounts on apple and lenovo products - otherwise you can buy heavily discounted thinkpads over the net from germany from sites like ok1.de. Have a look at an X201 model from Lenovo or a Macbook Air before you decide.

PS: If you like my answers, then I suggest you hit the thanks button
The Following User Says Thank You to ph0ton For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Andreas527
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Can someone test how it works to write with the Swedish letters on a Keyboard from the USA / Taiwan.

Understand that these are not on the physical keyboard. But would be nice to know what to do to write

If you use Swedish as the system language and writing language. Will the Keyboard dock fix so that get there own buttons?

Or if you can write Where on the keyboard do these ports?

Works the keyboard dock with Swiftkey Tablet X? If it does, then maybe you can write AO and word prediction automatically changes the AO to

Or did Asus's own keyboard also spelling and word prediction.

Hope someone understands what I'm trying to say.