[Q] I think i bought a bricked X8 - help!

OP madz78

10th January 2012, 08:55 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

82 posts
hi,

I bought a X8 by mail delivery from the internet and got a bricked phone (so it seems)!
Symptom is phone doesn't connect to GSM network, and although i can scan for networks i can't connect to them. Tried several networks, same result. Everything else seems to work fine.

I'm completely newbie to Android phones, and only bought this one to try to avoid to stay behind, but this was a lousy way to start. I've been browsing through the forum, but there's too much info which only makes it more confusing to me.
I tried connecting the phone to S1tool and msm7227setool but i can't find the SEMC flash drivers, and although i browsed through the forum stickies for them i didn't find them.

So, my questions are:

1- Can someone provide a link to the drivers?
2- Is the following link the best way to solve my problem?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ght=no+network
3- I also want to debrand the phone, from the 360 apps i assume the phone is from vodafone. Can you recommend a fast ROM with full features support? And a good noob proof flash tutorial..
4- Will any of the above operations remove my SP unlock?

Sorry if most (or all) of this questions are a repetition of past threads, but starting with a phone this way, i honestly feel like a donkey looking at a palace! (Portuguese proverb, not sure you'll understand)

Thanks, Regards!
10th January 2012, 09:05 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Galway, Ireland
Thanks Meter: 800

2,856 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by madz78

hi,

I bought a X8 by mail delivery from the internet and got a bricked phone (so it seems)!
Symptom is phone doesn't connect to GSM network, and although i can scan for networks i can't connect to them. Tried several networks, same result. Everything else seems to work fine.

I'm completely newbie to Android phones, and only bought this one to try to avoid to stay behind, but this was a lousy way to start. I've been browsing through the forum, but there's too much info which only makes it more confusing to me.
I tried connecting the phone to S1tool and msm7227setool but i can't find the SEMC flash drivers, and although i browsed through the forum stickies for them i didn't find them.

So, my questions are:

1- Can someone provide a link to the drivers?
2- Is the following link the best way to solve my problem?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ght=no+network
3- I also want to debrand the phone, from the 360 apps i assume the phone is from vodafone. Can you recommend a fast ROM with full features support? And a good noob proof flash tutorial..
4- Will any of the above operations remove my SP unlock?

Sorry if most (or all) of this questions are a repetition of past threads, but starting with a phone this way, i honestly feel like a donkey looking at a palace! (Portuguese proverb, not sure you'll understand)

Thanks, Regards!

I have a X8 on Vodafone, and when I repairded my X8 in PCC it removed the vodafone apps and icon from Settings :D

Sent from my tablet running Honeycomb
10th January 2012, 09:10 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Internal Storage
Thanks Meter: 474

2,669 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishStuff09

I have a X8 on Vodafone, and when I repairded my X8 in PCC it removed the vodafone apps and icon from Settings :D

Just 4 curiosity how to make the vodafone icons appear again??just4fun
Sorry for off-topic thing
As irishstuff said u should try to update your phone with pc companion(google it) and try to update the software.After that if u want to root your phone and install recovery search in xda for x8toolbox , is the most noob-friendly thing u will find
Last edited by X8invisible; 10th January 2012 at 09:14 PM.
10th January 2012, 09:45 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

82 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8invisible13

As irishstuff said u should try to update your phone with pc companion(google it) and try to update the software.After that if u want to root your phone and install recovery search in xda for x8toolbox , is the most noob-friendly thing u will find

Thanx for clarifying that.
But, if i update the phone via PCC, won't i lose the sp unlock? I'm saying this cuz i read that the no network problem is due to sim lock protection.
B.Jay
10th January 2012, 11:20 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Quote:

Thanx for clarifying that.
But, if i update the phone via PCC, won't i lose the sp unlock? I'm saying this cuz i read that the no network problem is due to sim lock protection.

sp unlock? You mean "SIM unlocked"?

No, you won't lose the unlocked SIM by simply flashing back to Stock through PC Companion (in case PCC tells you that there's no update available you need to resort to the Flashtool method).

As for the drivers ... best method would be to install PC Companion. However, if you don't want that crapware on your system I can upload you the drivers (out of PCC) in a ZIP - then you have to point Windows manually to the directory so it can find the appropriate driver (EDIT: shouldn't be much of a trouble if you're familiar with installing drivers by pointing Windows to the directory or the INF file).

The only situation where you might lose your SIM unlock is at unlocking the boot loader to enable installation of custom kernels, but before you head into that you better check the manufacturing date of your phone (sticker below the battery) and then look through this forum to work out if it's a candidate for hard bricking or not.
Last edited by B.Jay; 10th January 2012 at 11:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2012, 11:32 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

82 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Jay

sp unlock? You mean "SIM unlocked"?

No, you won't lose the unlocked SIM by simply flashing back to Stock through PC Companion (in case PCC tells you that there's no update available you need to resort to the Flashtool method).

As for the drivers ... best method would be to install PC Companion. However, if you don't want that crapware on your system I can upload you the drivers (out of PCC) in a ZIP - then you have to point Windows manually to the directory so it can find the appropriate driver (EDIT: shouldn't be much of a trouble if you're familiar with installing drivers by pointing Windows to the directory or the INF file).

The only situation where you might lose your SIM unlock is at unlocking the boot loader to enable installation of custom kernels, but before you head into that you better check the manufacturing date of your phone (sticker below the battery) and then look through this forum to work out if it's a candidate for hard bricking or not.

Yup, it says up to date, just clicked repair to see if it works. crapware.. lol, yeah i'd appreciate that zip file, thanks.

I think the issue is exactly that, a bad boot loader unlock, at least all symptoms point to that.. all i see in no network threads seems to be pointing there.

Thanx!

P.S.- SP (service provider) Unlocked.
Last edited by madz78; 10th January 2012 at 11:38 PM.
B.Jay
10th January 2012, 11:40 PM   |  #7  

n/a posts
Quote:

yeah i'd appreciate that zip file, thanks.

Download here
The Sony Ericsson X8 (and possibly other SE phones) Android drivers (ADB / Smartphone / USB Flash Device) for Windows (incl. x64 Editions) out of the latest and greatest PC Companion crapware.

Quote:

I think the issue is exactly that, a bad boot loader unlock, at least all symptoms point to that.. all i see in no network threads seems to be pointing there.

Errr... no. A "unsuccessful" boot loader unlock would turn your device into a hard brick (no lights, no vibration, no screen). As you're able to boot up into Android the bootloader and kernel seems to be intact.

IF the previous owner (in case you bought it used) tinkered around with boot loader unlocking ...

Use the s1tool to verify if the boot loader is locked or not. If it's unlocked simply follow the tutorial in the Development section to relock the boot loader or try the trick deedii posted about first (she had the same problem that GSM radio went dead after unlocking the boot loader).

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

*ping* driver ZIP download link inserted
Last edited by B.Jay; 10th January 2012 at 11:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th January 2012, 12:10 AM   |  #8  
OP Member

82 posts
Holy crap!
Thanx for the zip btw..

I hit Repair in PCC and it re-flashed the phone. Now, instead of no network, the phone doesn't recognize ANY SIM card!!

I checked boot loader with S1tool, and the phone is locked (i see R).

I'm starting to think maybe it's a hardware problem and not from ROM.

Any ideas? Thanks.
B.Jay
11th January 2012, 12:15 AM   |  #9  

n/a posts
Quote:

Thanx for the zip btw..

No problem, you're welcome.

Quote:

I hit Repair in PCC and it re-flashed the phone. Now, instead of no network, the phone doesn't recognize ANY SIM card!!

I checked boot loader with S1tool, and the phone is locked (i see R).

I'm starting to think maybe it's a hardware problem and not from ROM.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Yes, the "R" means the boot loader is locked.

As for the mSD card ... here's where we enter "trouble reloaded":

- What card? Class? Size? Brand?
- Does the card hold any important data? If not try to reformat the card (FAT32!!!). If Android refuses to format the mSD simply use a card reader and re-format the mSD in Windows.

EDIT: Also, just to make sure everything's vanilla: could you please take a look into Settings -> About phone to confirm you're running the genuine SE baseband/kernel and not some custom kernel?

EDIT 2: Errrrrrrrr.... never mind ... I somehow misread "SIM card" as "SD card". My fault!
Last edited by B.Jay; 11th January 2012 at 12:28 AM.
11th January 2012, 12:42 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Galway, Ireland
Thanks Meter: 800

2,856 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8invisible13

I actually don't have a clue, but I was glad when thety went :)
I dont like operators branding the phone with the software :)
The only apps i had by the operator (vodafone IE) were
Gold Rush, Vodafone Music Store, SIM Settings and SIM Toolkit <- I have GDX and i still have toolkit. XD

I had the 'vodafone 360' option in Settings

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread