[**SOLVED**] 2.3.12 REenable ad hoc wifi networks under ICS - wpa_supplicant
ICS on the Prime, for many, took a step back and now claims "ad hoc networks are not supported". So, many of us who have been tethering the last few weeks via a tethering app now cannot as ICS is seeing the network as ad hoc and is now reporting that is not supported. I personally used wireless tether under Honeycomb every single day on my Prime. Now, for me, and many, we cannot. I have a whole growing thread in the general area
and it really seems this is the root of the issue for those of us that do not have built in wifi hot spots and use a tether app.
So, is this something a dev can sort out? How to get back ad hoc network support under ICS on the Prime? I have seen topics on it in google like this one
, but this "fix" did not work.
(BTW - if a mod thinks this is not in the right place and wants to move it to the General thread, please just delete this as there is already a thread there, but a help request in the dev area seemed logical. If not, sorry.)
IT HAS BEEN SOLVED 2.3.12
Based on a post I read the other day, and that I was asked to test today, I decided to try 1 more time and it worked!! But not how I expected. I tried 3 tests... the final one worked!!
So, here is the process:
1. root is required AND make sure you have your file system app (like Root Explorer) set to make files R/W so you can edit/rename/set permissions
2. turn off wifi
3. go into system/bin and rename wpa_supplicant2 to wpa_supplicant2.bak - that's right folks.. it is NOT wpa_supplicant but wpa_supplicant2 that is running the show
3. download the wpa_supplicant file found here
post #24 in my other thread
4. unzip it
5. rename it wpa_supplicant2 NOT wpa_supplicant
6. move it to system/bin and paste it
7. set permissions to xxx, x, xxx (columns) - see more details below if confused
8. go back and start up wifi
9. turn on wifi analyzer and you will see (*)AndroidTether
with no red Ad Hoc notation!!
10. click to connect
11. surf and tether away!!
No rebooting needed, it is instant
I am using the good old original Wireless tether 2.0.7 app I always used! None of those beta releases and picking settings and blah blah
Yes, I was able to connect right back to my local wifi with no issues as well!
PLEASE hit the thanks button, I worked long and hard on trying to get this to work
#7 details if you don't understand permissions settings
When you set permissions (long press the file) a pop-up opens and it shows 3 columns with 3 checkboxes in each. Each "x" is to be checked