Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Otterbox Commuter Case for Atrix 2 review (with pics)

OP toastthemost

11th January 2012, 06:14 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 14

91 posts
More
-Title of product: "Otterbox MOT4-ATRX2-20-E4OTR Commuter Series Hybrid Case for Motorola Atrix 2 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

-Price: $21.99 + ??? Shipping (Newegg has it at the same price with free shipping)

-Pictures (sorry if flash makes it too bright, one is blurry but I did a retake of that angle) : http://imgur.com/a/hiioo
These pics should show angles from all six sides, and from top and side while detached to show the added thickness. It also shows the port flaps open, and the hybrid case taken apart. OOPS! Forgot the back angle and the wideness comparison: http://imgur.com/6PlW6; http://imgur.com/2fHb5

-Functionality: Does the job well. All ports and microphones have an opening or a flap, and as you can tell on the pictures, the ports with flaps are the Micro USB/HDMI and Headphone port regions. The flaps are a part of the silicone lining of the inside of the case. The polycarbonate outer shell has openings for these flaps, as well as one on the bottom to allow to pull the phone and the soft inner case out. The flaps fit nicely into the case and don't seem to come free on their own, but I will deduct a point here because the clearance, especially on the Micro USB/HDMI section, is very small, and it's not easy to put in the charging cable, and almost impossible to do in the dark (as I usually charge it as I am going to bed). The buttons are all covered by silicone that protrude out of holes in the polycarbonate shell. They are pretty easy to press, unlike the last case I reviewed. I would like to mention as this is an expensive case, that the included screen protector was a cheap dry-method die-cut that was a little small. I like the cheap screen protectors, but I had to mention it. I am not formulating this into the ratings, but this should be of note if you think that because you are buying an Otterbox means you are getting a good screen protector or something, which I would say that it isn't all that true. Anyways, the silicone liner/case was really loose fitting, but the case makes it extremely hard to insert/remove your phone. Also, the silicone tends to be a dust magnet. The polycarbonate case is susceptible to scratches, which I have already noticed after about a week, and the silicone case looks very easy to tear, and I have no doubts that the flaps will not last forever, and that the unprotected bottom of the case towards the mic and home/back/etc. buttons (just silicone there) seems like it could tear somewhat easily.
Overall rating: 4/5

-Aesthetics and feel: the black color doesn't clash with the phone, and looks very professional. Also, the corners can get dust on them, so if you want it looking clean and pristine after taking it out of your pocket/purse, it probably won't happen without some lint (which comes off easy if you have a air-duster can). It adds a significant amount of weight to the case, 1.3 ounces, which adds nearly 31% to the total weight of the phone and case (1.3oz + 5.2oz). This is acceptable due to the amount of protection it offers. The thickness is also very visible in the photos. The polycarbonate shell feels very slick, even slicker than the other TPU case I reviewed. I want to be able to have a firmer grip on my phone while I use it, so it fell short for me here. The Defender Series case looks like it picks up better on this point, even though its features are slightly different. The differences on the corners and the bottom, where the silicone protrudes through the spaces in the polycarbonate shell, are slightly annoying because they aren't uniform.
Overall rating: 3/5

-Protection: Almost perfect. Really, this case could make the phone survive just about any reasonable fall. The silicone corners and bottom are somewhat of a soft spot, both literally describing them and relationally to the overall protection. While I am mostly sure it would survive a drop at waist level, any higher I would have doubts on my phone's safety. As I said earlier, the polycarbonate shell is quite slick/slippery, but I doubt that a fall from holding it at a normal height would do anything to compromise the phone. This protection really is extremely good, even though I list its shortcomings. It will protect in almost all practical applications.
Overall rating: 5/5

-Arbitrary rating: based from 0-5 on nothing rather than my own opinion for how much I like it: 4/5

-Total overall rating: 16/20

-Conclusions: this is a great case with a lot of protection. Very functional, and looks great.

-Retrospect: would have gotten the slightly more expensive, slightly bulkier, and much heavier Defender Series case if I had the chance to do it over. The texture looks better, and it looks like there is even more protection.

-Also, this case has already been reviewed by another reviewer, 916x10, so I feel that I should link to their review (which, coincidentally, gave the same rating I did) and give them credit for being the first, and also check their review out if you want more insight on the case :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1329075

As always, please feel free to post comments or questions, and I will respond as soon as I can!
Last edited by toastthemost; 11th January 2012 at 06:23 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toastthemost For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread