Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,480 Members 45,009 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help for Rooting Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 3.6 YP-GS1

Tip us?

nathan2226
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Help for Rooting Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 3.6 YP-GS1

Hi,

I have the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 3.6 YP-GS1 European model. I've tried to root it using SuperOneClick, and some others but to no success!

Especially when using SuperOneClick, it hangs at Step 7.

I should note that I have Android 2.3.6 and am I right in saying that the zergRush exploit does not work?

Info about device

Model No - YP-GS1
Android - 2.3.6
Kernal Version - 2.6.35.7-CL712316 se.infra@SEP-81 #1
Build Number - Gingerbread.XXKK3

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24116

DONATE TO ME
Correct, the zergRush hole has been patched.

The process for rooting phones that have been "patched up" is much harder - it requires flashing a prerooted system image or insecure kernel in Odin.

Creating one of these can be difficult - unless someone has already published stock firmware (zImage and factoryfs.rfs) somewhere, getting a complete firmware pull requires two devices. "flying blind" (trying to create an insecure kernel without a good zImage dump) is a high-risk activity for even an experienced developer.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iJimaniac
Old
(Last edited by iJimaniac; 11th January 2012 at 05:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 414

DONATE TO ME
I wasn't even aware they had released the 3.6 yet, just goes to show how good samsung's marketing for the galaxy players is, lol! Wow, what a model number too - imagine how many people are going to confuse YP-GS1 with YP-G1 - great job Samsung!
BTW: superoneclick always hangs at step 7, you have to unplug then replug your device in. Try that before you loose all hope!
Get R.E.D.D ->> Got R.E.D.D? <<- Get R.E.D.D

Asking an ETA for a rom is like asking for a hug from Chuck Norris. Moral: NO ETA'S!

Flashing CyanogenMod on a YP-G1 before backing up the EFS is like punching Chuck Norris before you're ready to die. Moral: ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR EFS!

Artmuzz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
@nathan2226

Sorry off topic but I see you own the Galaxy S wifi 3.6 like too and I was beginning to think I was the only one on the planet who owned one. Anyway the problem is that when I use Music Player or watch video when I adjust the volume from level 16 to level 30 there is no difference in volume. However when I pause the music and replay it the volume is now noticeably louder at the maximum volume of 30.

Do you have that problem too?

nathan2226
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJimaniac View Post
I wasn't even aware they had released the 3.6 yet, just goes to show how good samsung's marketing for the galaxy players is, lol! Wow, what a model number too - imagine how many people are going to confuse YP-GS1 with YP-G1 - great job Samsung!
BTW: superoneclick always hangs at step 7, you have to unplug then replug your device in. Try that before you loose all hope!
I will give that a go now, and will let you know what happens.

Yeah I know, I think that model is only released in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
Correct, the zergRush hole has been patched.

The process for rooting phones that have been "patched up" is much harder - it requires flashing a prerooted system image or insecure kernel in Odin.

Creating one of these can be difficult - unless someone has already published stock firmware (zImage and factoryfs.rfs) somewhere, getting a complete firmware pull requires two devices. "flying blind" (trying to create an insecure kernel without a good zImage dump) is a high-risk activity for even an experienced developer.
Has there been any previous kernal/firmwares released?

Could be as simple (or not so simple?) as flashing a kernal via Odin and rooting using SuperOneClick, like the S II ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
@nathan2226

Sorry off topic but I see you own the Galaxy S wifi 3.6 like too and I was beginning to think I was the only one on the planet who owned one. Anyway the problem is that when I use Music Player or watch video when I adjust the volume from level 16 to level 30 there is no difference in volume. However when I pause the music and replay it the volume is now noticeably louder at the maximum volume of 30.

Do you have that problem too?
I have posted you a PM reply

nathan2226
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJimaniac View Post
Thought I give you an update - This didn't work due to the zergRush exploit getting patched up

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24116

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan2226 View Post
Has there been any previous kernal/firmwares released?

Could be as simple (or not so simple?) as flashing a kernal via Odin and rooting using SuperOneClick, like the S II ?
Sometimes stock initial firmware for a device shows up on the leak sites, sometimes it doesn't, seems to be a crapshoot.

The "hard way" to root a device, which requires two devices for a clean dump, is:
Path 1:
a) It's possible to dump 90% of so of the files of an initramfs without root - do this, try to fill in the holes, and build an insecure kernel using this dump. Use that to get a clean system dump.
b) Use the clean system dump to develop a prerooted system image that can be flashed to a second device to get a clean stock kernel

Path 2:
a) You can get 80% or so of /system without root - dump it, fill in holes, make an Odin-flashable image that has su binary added.
b) Flash this and get a clean zImage dump
c) Use that dump to develop a custom kernel that is flashed to a second device to get a clean /system dump

We got lucky on the SGH-I777 (USA AT&T GSII)- International kernels were functional enough to get a full /system dump, and I was able to use that dump to develop a prerooted system image which I used to extract the stock kernel image from my device.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nathan2226
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
Sometimes stock initial firmware for a device shows up on the leak sites, sometimes it doesn't, seems to be a crapshoot.

The "hard way" to root a device, which requires two devices for a clean dump, is:
Path 1:
a) It's possible to dump 90% of so of the files of an initramfs without root - do this, try to fill in the holes, and build an insecure kernel using this dump. Use that to get a clean system dump.
b) Use the clean system dump to develop a prerooted system image that can be flashed to a second device to get a clean stock kernel

Path 2:
a) You can get 80% or so of /system without root - dump it, fill in holes, make an Odin-flashable image that has su binary added.
b) Flash this and get a clean zImage dump
c) Use that dump to develop a custom kernel that is flashed to a second device to get a clean /system dump

We got lucky on the SGH-I777 (USA AT&T GSII)- International kernels were functional enough to get a full /system dump, and I was able to use that dump to develop a prerooted system image which I used to extract the stock kernel image from my device.
I am technically minded, but not that advanced enough to produce something like that 'the hard way'.

I guess I will have to sit it out to see if someone will leak out stock firmware to allow me to root it
jarriskua Old
Thanks Meter
Hi Nathan,

Do you have any news about root your device? I am looking for Roms/ FW too, but I havenīt got lucky yet.

Please, if you find any solutions, could you publish here? I will do the same!

Thanks in advance.

nathan2226
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,

Nope, not found anything yet unfortunately