Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,801 Members 44,174 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Difference between firmware images?

Tip us?

conorn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Difference between firmware images?

I'm a recent Lumia 800 owner and impatient for updates. With the availability of 8107.11501 from DPM (downloaded OK) I might give it a go. Perhaps someone could tell me the difference between, say, a UK image and a DE image? And what difference is there between a Cyan and Black image?

Thanks.

fshqbizfs
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by conorn View Post
I'm a recent Lumia 800 owner and impatient for updates. With the availability of 8107.11501 from DPM (downloaded OK) I might give it a go. Perhaps someone could tell me the difference between, say, a UK image and a DE image? And what difference is there between a Cyan and Black image?

Thanks.
There are not so much differences.
1) Some countries have very specific apps bundled (example: switzerland has a train schedule app)
2) Some countries don't have all nokia apps preinstalled. Example: HK version is missing nokia drive, nokia music, and so on.
3) The default Language after first boot may be different. Example: the Netherlands ROM starts with the NL Language by default. You can change it.
Otherwise the ROM are identical and you can easily add\remove missing or unneeded apps from marketplace app, so what is really important is the firmware version
4) Avoid far east ROMs, they usually don't have nokia drive, that is the only app that you can't install later from marketplace

The difference between colours are related to default theme colours and i guess some camera software settings to balance the effects of phone colour on the pictures you take.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fshqbizfs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

conorn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for a very complete explanation.

amritpal2489
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Which Country Variant ROM is having all the apps that are preloaded like Nokia Drive, Nokia Maps, Nokia Mix ????

Rusty!
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1749
UK has them.

Well, not Nokia Mix, because that doesn't exist... I presume you're referring to the Mix Radio function of Nokia Music?
Google Nexus 5 on Three UK

anseio
Old
Thanks Meter 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by amritpal2489 View Post
Which Country Variant ROM is having all the apps that are preloaded like Nokia Drive, Nokia Maps, Nokia Mix ????
My unbranded UK version came loaded with Nokia Music, Nokia Maps, and a place marker for Nokia Drive. I had to go to the market place to actually get Nokia Drive installed.

It also came with a bunch of other special apps unique to Nokia. I removed many of them.

Rusty!
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1749
Mine had drive pre-installed, wonder why yours only had a marker. But yes there was also some stuff that was instantly removed.
Google Nexus 5 on Three UK

anseio
Old
Thanks Meter 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty! View Post
Mine had drive pre-installed, wonder why yours only had a marker. But yes there was also some stuff that was instantly removed.
When I went to open Nokia Drive, it loaded a page telling me to get it from the Marketplace. Odd.