Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

powermat mod ***Walkthrough and pics now available!!!***

OP TannerBlair

13th January 2012, 06:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
Okay, I finally made ten posts, so here is a full walkthrough. I hope you like it!

The case I used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Cable to buy:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-U.../ref=pd_cp_e_4

Really, any micro-usb cable should work, but I like the right angle on this one.

Powermat reciever:
http://www.amazon.com/Powermat-Batte...6948784&sr=1-1

As near as I can tell, any of them will work, but this one is really cheap.

Total cost of all three components is less than $20.

Step 1:

Destroy the plastic housing on the powermat reciever. When you get done, you should be left with something that looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9baja3sx4...118_223732.jpg

Obviously, this one has a usb tip already soldered on to it. We'll get there.

Step 2: Clean all of the sticky stuff off of the powermat with an exacto knife or rubbing alcohol, then remove any leads from the four terminals across the bottom. (There should only be leads on pad 1 and 4).

Step 3: Cut your usb cable in half, leaving around an inch-and-a-half of wire on the end with the micro-usb connector. You can throw away the other half.

Step 4: Now for the hard part. Strip back the black exterior about a half inch, and trim away the braided shielding. Cut all of the wires off EXCEPT the red and black wires. These are your ground and your lead wires. Then VERY CAREFULLY strip them. I would recommend just scoring the material and pulling rather than trying to cut it and remove it without damaging the wires inside.

Step 5: Now position the unit with the black magnet upwards and the four terminals towards you. Solder the red lead wire to the far left terminal, and the black lead wire to the far right.

Step 6: Place a piece of electrical tape over the soldered wires to reinforce them.

Step 7: Trim away as much of the plug end as you feel comfortable with. If you cut the perforated part off, you can get the wire to run straight down and fit much more neatly.

Step 8: Place the unit in the case magnet-side up, and push the plug through the usb port hole in the bottom of the case. It should now look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/245em6bj2c...118_224257.jpg

Step 9: Put your phone in the case, and plug the usb tip in. Your phone will now charge on a Powermat charger.

Step 10: Profit???

Final product in case:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmgvnwomup...118_222845.jpg
Last edited by TannerBlair; 19th January 2012 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Full Walkthrough
The Following User Says Thank You to TannerBlair For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2012, 07:31 AM   |  #2  
Flag Monmouth, OR
Thanks Meter: 73

562 posts
More
I'd be interested in seeing this, those seem like a pretty cool idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
15th January 2012, 02:31 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Cool. I ordered a case that I think it will fit in to and I'll document it and post it.
15th January 2012, 03:47 AM   |  #4  
Flag Orange County CA
Thanks Meter: 71

413 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerBlair

Cool. I ordered a case that I think it will fit in to and I'll document it and post it.

ill be checking up on this
15th January 2012, 05:50 PM   |  #5  
Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 503

1,096 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'll be keeping up as well!

Sent from my AT&T cellular device.
16th January 2012, 11:02 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Ok, the case will be in tomorrow, but I've been using it sans case since I made the first post and so far it works great. Charges fine, and doesn't seem to cause any other issues. Now if only I had a way to post pictures...
17th January 2012, 12:13 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

18 posts
Where is it on sale for $1.99? I'm interrested in this too...
19th January 2012, 05:27 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
okay guys, walkthrough with pics should be up in no time!
19th January 2012, 06:42 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 141

1,272 posts
Excellent concept but it adds a bit too much bulk to the phone for me. Would love to buy an inductive charging system that replaces the battery back and adds little or no bulk to the phone.
19th January 2012, 06:59 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
I can see where you're coming from, but it actually doesn't add that much. The powermat unit is thinner than the hump at the bottom of the phone, so the only perceived added bulk is really just the case.I initially considered soldering the leads straight in to the phone, but there is the remote chance that you could absent-mindedly have it on the powermat and plugged in to your computer, and there is a good chance you could wreck your phone. If I had to guess, this is why they don't make ones that replace the battery.

If/when I make a version 2, I am going to play around with making my own adapter as well. I think that i could cut down on a lot of the plug bulk by doing so.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread