Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,547 Members 43,117 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

powermat mod ***Walkthrough and pics now available!!!***

Tip us?

TannerBlair
Old
(Last edited by TannerBlair; 19th January 2012 at 05:31 AM.) Reason: Full Walkthrough
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default powermat mod ***Walkthrough and pics now available!!!***

Okay, I finally made ten posts, so here is a full walkthrough. I hope you like it!

The case I used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Cable to buy:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-U.../ref=pd_cp_e_4

Really, any micro-usb cable should work, but I like the right angle on this one.

Powermat reciever:
http://www.amazon.com/Powermat-Batte...6948784&sr=1-1

As near as I can tell, any of them will work, but this one is really cheap.

Total cost of all three components is less than $20.

Step 1:

Destroy the plastic housing on the powermat reciever. When you get done, you should be left with something that looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9baja3sx4...118_223732.jpg

Obviously, this one has a usb tip already soldered on to it. We'll get there.

Step 2: Clean all of the sticky stuff off of the powermat with an exacto knife or rubbing alcohol, then remove any leads from the four terminals across the bottom. (There should only be leads on pad 1 and 4).

Step 3: Cut your usb cable in half, leaving around an inch-and-a-half of wire on the end with the micro-usb connector. You can throw away the other half.

Step 4: Now for the hard part. Strip back the black exterior about a half inch, and trim away the braided shielding. Cut all of the wires off EXCEPT the red and black wires. These are your ground and your lead wires. Then VERY CAREFULLY strip them. I would recommend just scoring the material and pulling rather than trying to cut it and remove it without damaging the wires inside.

Step 5: Now position the unit with the black magnet upwards and the four terminals towards you. Solder the red lead wire to the far left terminal, and the black lead wire to the far right.

Step 6: Place a piece of electrical tape over the soldered wires to reinforce them.

Step 7: Trim away as much of the plug end as you feel comfortable with. If you cut the perforated part off, you can get the wire to run straight down and fit much more neatly.

Step 8: Place the unit in the case magnet-side up, and push the plug through the usb port hole in the bottom of the case. It should now look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/245em6bj2c...118_224257.jpg

Step 9: Put your phone in the case, and plug the usb tip in. Your phone will now charge on a Powermat charger.

Step 10: Profit???

Final product in case:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmgvnwomup...118_222845.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to TannerBlair For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AntwanL
Old
Thanks Meter 73
I'd be interested in seeing this, those seem like a pretty cool idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
Current
Samsung Galaxy S3 - i747

Previous
* Motorola RAZR
* HTC Tilt
* Samsung Impression
* Samsung Jack
* HTC Inspire 4G
* Samsung Galaxy S2 - i777

TannerBlair
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Cool. I ordered a case that I think it will fit in to and I'll document it and post it.

jaysix79
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerBlair View Post
Cool. I ordered a case that I think it will fit in to and I'll document it and post it.
ill be checking up on this

jdbeitz
Old
Thanks Meter 503

DONATE TO ME
I'll be keeping up as well!

Sent from my AT&T cellular device.
See that "Thanks" button next to my name? Yeah, that one... Click it!

TannerBlair
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Ok, the case will be in tomorrow, but I've been using it sans case since I made the first post and so far it works great. Charges fine, and doesn't seem to cause any other issues. Now if only I had a way to post pictures...

RomanMtz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Where is it on sale for $1.99? I'm interrested in this too...

TannerBlair
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
okay guys, walkthrough with pics should be up in no time!

raduque
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Excellent concept but it adds a bit too much bulk to the phone for me. Would love to buy an inductive charging system that replaces the battery back and adds little or no bulk to the phone.
2004 Ford F150 4.6L V8: Stock... for now
Samsung Galaxy Note III
Microsoft Surface RT 64gb
Asus Transformer TF101 32gb: KatKiss 4.3.1

TannerBlair
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I can see where you're coming from, but it actually doesn't add that much. The powermat unit is thinner than the hump at the bottom of the phone, so the only perceived added bulk is really just the case.I initially considered soldering the leads straight in to the phone, but there is the remote chance that you could absent-mindedly have it on the powermat and plugged in to your computer, and there is a good chance you could wreck your phone. If I had to guess, this is why they don't make ones that replace the battery.

If/when I make a version 2, I am going to play around with making my own adapter as well. I think that i could cut down on a lot of the plug bulk by doing so.