Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,901 Members 51,865 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus running HOT - anyone else?

Tip us?

FloridaPhil
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Exclamation Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus running HOT - anyone else?

Love this tablet but this last few days it has started to get really warm on occasion.

On the left side, about an inch in from the SD card slot, the temperature really builds up quickly starting first on the back of the device and eventually getting so hot on the glass it becomes uncomfortable to hold and to swipe. I've seen 48 degrees!

I have noticed this happening when using Dolphin HD browser and particularly if Skype is running in the background.

I wiped the tab, didn't reinstall from market and just loaded Dolphin and it didn't make any difference.

I'm guessing faulty device since there are only a few isolated reports of this online.
The Following User Says Thank You to FloridaPhil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mohawkx
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPhil View Post
Love this tablet but this last few days it has started to get really warm on occasion.

On the left side, about an inch in from the SD card slot, the temperature really builds up quickly starting first on the back of the device and eventually getting so hot on the glass it becomes uncomfortable to hold and to swipe. I've seen 48 degrees!

I have noticed this happening when using Dolphin HD browser and particularly if Skype is running in the background.

I wiped the tab, didn't reinstall from market and just loaded Dolphin and it didn't make any difference.

I'm guessing faulty device since there are only a few isolated reports of this online.
Really strange, Phil. Based on your recommendation in "other" forums I turned in my Nook Tab and got a GTab7Plus and I'm just lovin it. Does everything I'd hoped it would do and more I haven't even figured out. So far, (knock on wood) I haven't gotten the Screen of Death nor has the unit gotten hot for any reason and I'm using dolphin browser exclusively. So......you may have a defective unit. Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mohawkx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FloridaPhil
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Yeah, I think it was faulty. I took it back to Best Buy and they had not had any other returns for this issue.

Unfortunately they are also out of stock so I don't currently have a tablet at all! Seeing what is coming down the pike in the way of tablets I might just wait and see what transpires in the next 3 months. If I get antsy then I'll just pick up another GT7+ (or back to a Nook Tablet if the CM9 project advances quickly).

Also, do you see a color cast on yours at all? I noticed that when there was a white background, for instance reading a book on Kindle or Nook apps, the right lower side of the page had a warm tinge - pink/peach colored. It was quite irritating.
The Following User Says Thank You to FloridaPhil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gilgomez
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Having issues with Nook app opening my Nook ebooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPhil View Post
Yeah, I think it was faulty. I took it back to Best Buy and they had not had any other returns for this issue.

Unfortunately they are also out of stock so I don't currently have a tablet at all! Seeing what is coming down the pike in the way of tablets I might just wait and see what transpires in the next 3 months. If I get antsy then I'll just pick up another GT7+ (or back to a Nook Tablet if the CM9 project advances quickly).

Also, do you see a color cast on yours at all? I noticed that when there was a white background, for instance reading a book on Kindle or Nook apps, the right lower side of the page had a warm tinge - pink/peach colored. It was quite irritating.
FloridaPhil:
I have received my 7+ and downloaded and installed the Nook and Kindle apps without a hitch. The Kindle books are fine but I seem to be having a problem opening my Nook books. Darn, I am in the midst of a great book and hate reading on my phone.

Any tips on how best to install and manage my Nook ebooks? And, I have a 32gb sd card which I haven't installed but plan to tonight. Will that make a difference? Should I "format" the card before installing on the 7+? How does that work?

Thanks a bunch!

wfellis
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I noticed on the nook software that I needed to open the software and then reopen it before the book would load. Second time is a charm I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

rendler
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Mine as well, in the same location as you specified too. Gets damn hot in that location with I'm using it in the car for navigating with Google Maps and it's plugged into the charger. Also in the same scenario the charge level is still going down and not up

aeon101
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I' ve been using VTL Launcher and had some previous issues with my home wifi (couldn't reconnect so my tab was always trying to find it again and again). After resetting router and mainly uninstalling VTL Launcher my tab stopped to be hot and battery life increased rapidly. So I was almost decided tonreturn it due to this problems but since then everything is finally ok and start to enjoy this tab (previously had GT7 original and Note).
Regarding navigation with google maps- consider that there is also huge use of data amount so warmness is probable. I'm using Sygis Aura and has no problems with hottness and also not original car charger has enough power to charge on the roads.
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gilgomez
Old
Thanks Meter 1
So far haven't noticed the tab getting hot. Just trying to figure out how to use Kies. What a friggin nightmare! Why have they not simplified the Kies interface? It is so convoluted!

FloridaPhil
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon101 View Post
I' ve been using VTL Launcher and had some previous issues with my home wifi (couldn't reconnect so my tab was always trying to find it again and again). After resetting router and mainly uninstalling VTL Launcher my tab stopped to be hot and battery life increased rapidly. So I was almost decided tonreturn it due to this problems but since then everything is finally ok and start to enjoy this tab (previously had GT7 original and Note).
Regarding navigation with google maps- consider that there is also huge use of data amount so warmness is probable. I'm using Sygis Aura and has no problems with hottness and also not original car charger has enough power to charge on the roads.

Interesting - but mine was totally stock. Yeah, I had added a ton of apps but it was running regular TouchWizz. My little Nook Color running CM7 has exactly the same apps and doesn't even get warm.

akasan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
what are you using kies for? my computer (win 7) didn't recognize my tab until
i installed kies, it also installed drivers so i can now transfer files