OP demandarin

14th January 2012, 02:56 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Alexandria, Va
Thanks Meter: 2,046

6,980 posts
More
there is no link..this was what I was told

-well for starters, an inside source, in Asus, tells me the wifi/BT issues are due to old Firmware on board. Issues supposed to be fixed on newer firmware. This is affecting a very small group out of very large shipments. How this occurred is being investigated and will promise to fix or replace with latest hardware/firmware revision.

-Next Rumors of TF-201 being discontinued is false

-new model with HD screen won't be released for at least another 4-5 months minimum. This is the TF 700. it still primarily uses metal backing except for thin strip of plastic up top

-with that said, this person tested his personal TF-201 model against the new model, TF 700 and there was no improvements or better results in Wifi or GPS in the test area. This was based on his personal assessment of it. he wasn't able to test at longer distances though. This in no way was some very intense detailed test. More of a quick comparison. He said his Prime doesn't suffer from issues experienced by some users here. This means both devices worked good and properly as they were supposed to. So two devices both working as they should will produce similar results. This means both devices performed good enough to the person testing it.

-As far as any type of exchange for a newer model ... there is no word or talk of that. Instead they are working to fix this within the Prime itself. If the fix found doesn't meet up to your satisfaction then return it. if out of range of return window, then they will work with the retailer

Well there you have it. All facts I've learned. I made sure to ask the right type of questions when the chance came my way. For all the people trying to put off current Prime for newer model thinkn it will perform better on wifi and GPS, THINK AGAIN...lol. Once primes that have issues get worked out, it will perform the same, as far as wifi, and GPS to newer model. The plastic strip up top doesn't really help at all because majority of backing is still metal, IMO. If prime is up to date with latest firmware, then there's no difference between newer model. As both models will work as they were intended to.

hope this finally clears up alot of false rumours floating around these forums lately.

For the Trollers and non believers, this is not a debate. Just releasing some info found out that may clear some rumors....MAIN ONE BEING THAT THE CURRENT PRIME. TF-201 will not be discontinued and will still be supported for the long haul.

If you have problem then keep it moving! TROLLING WONT WORK OVA HEAAAAA! lol
Last edited by demandarin; 14th January 2012 at 04:31 PM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to demandarin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2012, 03:00 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 14

83 posts
The plot thickens!
14th January 2012, 03:04 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 10

103 posts
so what you are trying to tell me is that....

there's a horse working for asus that has a tf700 in possession?!?!?

AND THAT IT CAN SPEAK?!!?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stereotada For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2012, 03:09 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 42

551 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demandarin

THIS IS ALL STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH BASICALLY..there is no link..take my word for it, this was what I was told

-well for starters, an inside source, in Asus, tells me the wifi/BT issues are due to old Firmware on board. Issues supposed to be fixed on newer firmware. This is affecting a very small group out of very large shipments. How this occurred is being investigated and will promise to fix or replace with latest hardware/firmware revision.

So would you say this is the reason some primes work with ICS and others dont?
14th January 2012, 03:12 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 16

94 posts
More
I think multiple occasions I have said that it was S/W not H/W. Everyone then puts it back in my face by saying its the back cover and Asus new about these issues and released the tablets anyways. Now if this source is correct, then I get to say the biggest I told ya so.
14th January 2012, 03:13 AM   |  #6  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 40

356 posts
More
W ell, i dont know those journos who tested the tf700 (CES or you tube) didnt test the gps with wifi off. Even with lock, precision is like 60-200ft indoors an d forget about when moving fast in a train (do plan your trip in advnce or rent a car with gps...

Happy with the primeotherwise.
14th January 2012, 03:14 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereotada

so what you are trying to tell me is that....

there's a horse working for asus that has a tf700 in possession?!?!?

AND THAT IT CAN SPEAK?!!?

The famous Mr. ED!
The Following User Says Thank You to toast333 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2012, 03:14 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 130

1,229 posts
$10 says the TF700 he tested is just a prototype. Maybe they just slapped a new screen and a piece of electric tape on the TF201 in time for CES :X
The Following User Says Thank You to Itaintrite For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2012, 03:17 AM   |  #9  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 7

50 posts
More
If this is all true (and I desperately hope that it is), then I think I prefer the current prime to the TF700. IMHO the aesthetics of the spun metal back outweigh any alleged wifi/gps improvement and 1080 res at the cost of an ugly anodized whatever back panel.

TF201 FTW?
The Following User Says Thank You to grumblers For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2012, 03:18 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 42

551 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkid93

I think multiple occasions I have said that it was S/W not H/W. Everyone then puts it back in my face by saying its the back cover and Asus new about these issues and released the tablets anyways. Now if this source is correct, then I get to say the biggest I told ya so.

The GPS is a back issue the firmware is most likely whats causing issues like locking up and lines on the screen.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread