Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,105 Members 52,042 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why does Android clutter up your SD card?

Tip us?

Tripp-phpBB
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default Why does Android clutter up your SD card?

Why does Android clutter up my SD card with so many folders and crap. I have a class 10 16 GB card so space isn't an issue. I'm just a bit OCD and when I connect my phone to my computer I see 20+ folders from different apps and what not.

Basically, why doesn't Android better organize all this stuff into one folder? Sure I could make them hidden but I don't see why there needs to be so many folders for so many different things. Where does it all go if you don't have an SD card?

Hopefully someone can offer some insight into this madness.

KommodoreHeinz
Old
Thanks Meter 276

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp-phpBB View Post
Why does Android clutter up my SD card with so many folders and crap. I have a class 10 16 GB card so space isn't an issue. I'm just a bit OCD and when I connect my phone to my computer I see 20+ folders from different apps and what not.

Basically, why doesn't Android better organize all this stuff into one folder? Sure I could make them hidden but I don't see why there needs to be so many folders for so many different things. Where does it all go if you don't have an SD card?

Hopefully someone can offer some insight into this madness.

Still no drama just truth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KommodoreHeinz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bumsock
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

scottspa74
Old
Thanks Meter 2792
Agree with OP. I spend a lot of my time on my phone in the SD via root explorer. And the amount of folders NOT created by me is dizzying. And I've wondered the same about what if no sd'. Maybe that's why the the android devices before froyo performed sooo poorly. Froyo was the first iteration of android that supported move to SD. Maybe before froyo, all of that crap went to the /data partition of the painfully memory-limited devices of the time. Thus the poor performance.
Just a stab at it. Dunno. Thinking out loud - but that's what General is FOR.

But yeah, I wondered about the no SD thing before, too. And I came from winmo, where I kept a really organized SD.

sent from xda app on drews ics
Evo LTE=$XXX.XX ~ XDADevs = PRICELESS
------
Evo LTE. AKA "the beast" . Thanks regaw_lienad, you're a genius.
ROM: AOKP
Kernel: komodo v7
Hboot: lazy panda S-off 1.12.222

Evo 4G HW002
Rom: Deck GB
Kernel: SZ 0.savaged zen21
Recovery: AmonRa 1.80

- thanks whitslack & fastRX8 & Netarchy & Toast, of course. - my Evo: the house that toast built (& many other XDAers)- thank you all

oOflyeyesOo
Old
Thanks Meter 71
It would be nice if it wasn't so bad. But for the most part it is not androids fault, its the apps you have used, I have had to get rid of so many, but now im built back up over time and trying new apps out.

MrDSL
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 2509

DONATE TO ME
Agree here also..hell ICS adds a bunch of folders I don't use..

Alarms,pictures,podcasts,music,notifications,ringt ones to name a few..
Phone: Optimus G Pro
ROM: CM11
Kernel
Theme: Mixer
Radio: BM9615A

Follow me on Twitter @Mr_DSL

skylar.sutton
Old
Thanks Meter 22
It's not Android, it's dip**** developers.

All app data is supposed to be stored in [sd_card]\Android\data\[name_of_the_app]. To make it really easy they provide developers a method that gets the directory for their app called getExternalFilesDir().

Email the dip**** devs and tell them to start using getExternalFilesDir. I can tell you that TitaniumBackup and a few others have point blank refused to use that directory, as I have already emailed them.

NewsRob and a few others indicated they would look into moving to that directory during the next major release.

scottspa74
Old
Thanks Meter 2792
Thanks for the info.
@skylar

sent from xda app on drews ics
Evo LTE=$XXX.XX ~ XDADevs = PRICELESS
------
Evo LTE. AKA "the beast" . Thanks regaw_lienad, you're a genius.
ROM: AOKP
Kernel: komodo v7
Hboot: lazy panda S-off 1.12.222

Evo 4G HW002
Rom: Deck GB
Kernel: SZ 0.savaged zen21
Recovery: AmonRa 1.80

- thanks whitslack & fastRX8 & Netarchy & Toast, of course. - my Evo: the house that toast built (& many other XDAers)- thank you all

devnulldroid
Old
Thanks Meter 67
I have become so accustomed to reinstalling OS's after dealing with annual re installation of Microshaft OS's it doesnt bother me anymore.
Hell they are closed source, I pay big $$$ and have just as many issues just like another unmentioned OS.
I will take open source (Linux, Android, FreeBSD.. others) and the ability to create, not to mention share at no cost, unlike those others who charge $$$ any day of the week.
As the bumper sticker on the back of my 7.3L F250 says.. ~ My Kid Hacked Your Honor Students Grades For Money..

Skeletor916
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Lol, couldn't agree with this any more. Files and folders are about the only thing I'm OCD about and it bugs me to no end.