Atmel maXStylus mXTS100 - digitizer stylus - Compatible?

Search This thread

robomo

Dec 31, 2011
UPDATE:
Atmel has posted on their facebook that it *may* not be compatible. However, until one of these are physically tested with a TF201, we cannot know *for certain* what the truth is. ONLY THEN can we 100% confirm/deny it's compatibility.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=378757848808058&id=121682197848959

:confused::confused::confused:
--------------------

EDIT: Didn't find any related posts til now, my bad: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1435094

**Requires Android 4.0**

The skinny:
This thing is due out in the next few months, and should be directly compatible with the Transformer Prime... it will offer active-digitizer-like-performance from Atmel - the guys who made the TF201 touchscreen driver chip.

vb6ve.jpg

First off, some background....
The ASUS Transformer Prime is shipped with Atmel's MXT768E touchscreen chip - Atmel's flagship latest-n-greatest chip to date.
SOURCE: http://www.chipworks.com/en/technic...con-inside-the-asus-eeepad-transformer-prime/

MXT768E chip details:
http://www.atmel.com/microsite/maxtouch_eseries/mxt768e.asp
Key Features
  • Narrow stylus identification and tracking

The maXStylus:
http://www.atmel.com/microsite/stylus/?source=redirect

The Atmel maXStylus mXTS100 is supposedly going to offer digitizer-like power in a highly sophisticated stylus... that's due the first quarter of 2012, and will require Android 4.0
SOURCE: http://androidandme.com/2011/11/new...e-could-be-revolutionized-by-atmel-maxstylus/

According to Atmel...
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/p...tegory_id=170&family_id=701&subfamily_id=2407
The maXStylus™ mXTS100 active stylus is designed to provide high-performance stylus capability for maXTouch™ E Series touchscreen controller solutions. The mXTS100 and maXTouch controllers together simplify touch system hardware and software while providing a state-of-the-art, inexpensive touch and stylus solution. This configuration simplifies the hardware since it requires only a single indium tin oxide (ITO) sensor that interfaces with maXTouch to detect finger touches and stylus proximity. Through the system driver and serial interface, the system host controller interfaces with the maXTouch chipset for touch and stylus data. The simultaneous touch and stylus capability is called multiSense functionality.

The mXTS100 uses capacitive sensing to detect an active maXTouch sensor presence and responds with its own signals to indicate location, pressure, button click timing and other information. The maXTouch controller receives stylus information through the sensor while also detecting finger touches. After the maXTouch controller detects a stylus presence, special algorithms activate to process the stylus data to provide high linearity, accuracy and resolution. Further processing provides excellent palm rejection, resulting in a smooth and comfortable stylus writing experience.

This is analog to Wacom-only stylii working with Wacom tablets. In this case, it's Atmel-only stylii working with touchscreens powered by Atmel E-series chips... which is inside the Transformer Prime...

We may never see a Wacom digitizer come to the Transformer Prime... but we have a pretty damn good alternative coming down the line... just check out the mXTS100's specs... 1mm resolution, automatic palm recognitiion, 140hz sampling rate...

Attachments

• maxstylus.jpg
    maxstylus.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:

Heerocon

Dec 16, 2011
I will be keeping my eye on this for sure. I would love to have better accuracy for sketchbook. I use a new trent stylus now and its nice, but this would be optimal.

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
Was talked about in the existing stylus thread :)

I would hardly call this a predictions, it is pretty much a forgone conclusion it will come. How many other tablets have ICS of which this requires?

Anyway its the one I'm holding out for.

BringItSon

Jan 10, 2012

I would hardly call this a predictions, it is pretty much a forgone conclusion it will come. How many other tablets have ICS of which this requires?

It was talked numerous times in other thread, but still nice to have a thread dedicated for it.

Also, it was confirmed to come. They are suppose to have small beta testing starting this month. Anyone in this forum able to get their hand on this?

Either way, this means product is mostly finalized and they are just doing sample testings to fix very minor problems and find the optimal pricing for it. Given there is a high demand in fairly limited market at this point(only 4.0 tablets that has Atmel chip), i wouldnt be surprised to see this priced fairly expensive.

I saw the video and besides the slight lag, it looks very promising.

EDIT
Good Job, OP. Please keep updating this thread if new information becomes available.

Last edited:

dpwhitty11

Aug 15, 2010
Houston, TX
Posting to keep track of this thread and to say that this looks awesome.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Tech Faded

Jan 7, 2012
Pensacola
So, if this true (and I hope it is) then we we could see greatly improved accuracy from the touch screen but, since I'm new what other benefits does this bring?

robomo

Dec 31, 2011

Buried amongst the Targus and Jot stylus posts, this Atmel stylus is a lightyears ahead of them - it deserves it's own topic.

If you look extra carefully, this video shows a 10.1 Tablet with a "Verizon" logo on it, being used with the Atmel stylus with Repligo PDF editor

Either a Xoom or Samsung Tab, can't really tell as I don't own either...

robomo

Dec 31, 2011
So, if this true (and I hope it is) then we we could see greatly improved accuracy from the touch screen but, since I'm new what other benefits does this bring?

Quoting Atmel:
Provides a highly accurate stylus capability, with 1.0mm/1.5mm/2.0mm stylus tip options and sensitivity to 256 pressure points.

Also features palm protection - HUGE benefit

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/p...tegory_id=170&family_id=701&subfamily_id=2407

robomo

Dec 31, 2011
Damn, just got my Jot

you can return it if you want :)

I own a Jot pro - even bought the extra little discs to go along with it. I'm keeping mine in the interim as the Jot is still pretty darn good. Once I get the Atmel I'll do a direct comparison and if it's better will be selling my Jot Pro.

d1ez3

Mar 27, 2011
Orlando, Florida
you can return it if you want :)

I own a Jot pro - even bought the extra little discs to go along with it. I'm keeping mine in the interim as the Jot is still pretty darn good. Once I get the Atmel I'll do a direct comparison and if it's better will be selling my Jot Pro.

Yeah, I might if this thing comes out soon and is as good as they say. Writing with the Jot is better than a regular stylus but it's still not accurate. I also can't seem to get palm detection working

robomo

Dec 31, 2011
keeping an eye on this. looks like this thing will cost a premium......

Probably $50+, but worth it for me. I almost returned the Transformer Prime to buy a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet because it included a digitizer pen. Hand-written notes is one of the biggest benefits to me of a tablet.

Everyone's use is different, but an active digitizer is *heaven* when you're always jotting notes or drawing a lot.

I did/do a LOT of detail sketches, and did them mostly on a Wacom tablet interface before I had my Prime. Having the ability to lift the stylus and still have it register really is an extreme joy... I didn't realize how much I had grown fond of that feeling. It's very subtle, but when you use it for hours a day it is SOOO nice! And the absolute, guaranteed accuracy is sublime. With out it there's a subtle annoyance of always, constantly worrying if your stylus is where you want it...

Even if this thing were $75 I'd buy it...

Last edited:

cfl.htc.hd

Nov 20, 2008
Orlando
You may not have to wait ..

I have been lurking for a while now without something to add.

I am new to tablets and the Prime is my first one. I too am challenged buy the capacitive screen writing / drawing details. I have been trying out different stylus types with no great success for me. So I started to investigate for a capacitive ACTIVE stylus and like you have come across the Atmel devices. I believe that may be the solution I’m looking for.

My investigation has found that the Xoom 2 tablet uses the Atmel chips and has an active stylus. I have ordered a Xoom 2 Active stylus from the UK to test my theory out. To test, one will need a Prime with ICS installed. (ICS supposedly fully supports an active stylus). My test stylus will not show till the of this week, the 20th.

I have a challenge for any UK Prime user or any Verizon customer. If you are in the UK, would you please stop by a store with your Prime and try out a Xoom 2 stylus on the Prime? In the US, if you are a Verizon customer, stop by a Verizon store with your Prime and test out the XyBoard 10.1 stylus.

Please report back results.

If this Motorola stylus works then, in the US, we can order from UK or wait for Motorola to release the Xoom in the US sometime this month (1/18 ??). (I understand that the XyBoard 10.1 stylus cannot be purchased separately ).

I do have one other active stylus to check out that may work. I’ll write about that one once we know about the Xoom stylus.

Who is willing to take up this challenge?

Last edited:

robomo

Dec 31, 2011
XyBoard 10.1 stylus.

I would definitely be interested as well..

The XyBoard is also at Best Buy, which may also have the stylus on demo possibly.
http://upcomingverizonphones.net/droid-xyboard/

However, the 3mm tip on the XyBoard's stylus is almost 3 times as big as the quoted 1mm Atmel stylus tip:http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...ries/Motorola-Stylus-with-Precision-Tip-US-EN

3mm is pretty big, more like a sharpie tip than a ballpoint pen tip.

However, it is nonetheless cool it might be compatible!

Reactions: Magnesus

BringItSon

Jan 10, 2012

I am new to tablets and the Prime is my first one. I too am challenged buy the capacitive screen writing / drawing details. I have been trying out different stylus types with no great success for me. So I started to investigate for a capacitive ACTIVE stylus and like you have come across the Atmel devices. I believe that may be the solution I’m looking for.

My investigation has found that the Xoom 2 tablet uses the Atmel chips and has an active stylus. I have ordered a Xoom 2 Active stylus from the UK to test my theory out. To test, one will need a Prime with ICS installed. (ICS supposedly fully supports an active stylus). My test stylus will not show till the of this week, the 20th.

I have a challenge for any UK Prime user or any Verizon customer. If you are in the UK, would you please stop by a store with your Prime and try out a Xoom 2 stylus on the Prime? In the US, if you are a Verizon customer, stop by a Verizon store with your Prime and test out the XyBoard 10.1 stylus.

If this Motorola stylus works then, in the US, we can order from UK or wait for Motorola to release the Xoom in the US sometime this month (1/18 ??). (I understand that the XyBoard 10.1 stylus cannot be purchased separately ).

I do have one other active stylus to check out that may work. I’ll write about that one once we know about the Xoom stylus.

dont have my prime yet, but i am def interested.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE:
    Atmel has posted on their facebook that it *may* not be compatible. However, until one of these are physically tested with a TF201, we cannot know *for certain* what the truth is. ONLY THEN can we 100% confirm/deny it's compatibility.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=378757848808058&id=121682197848959

:confused::confused::confused:
    --------------------

EDIT: Didn't find any related posts til now, my bad: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1435094

**Requires Android 4.0**

The skinny:
    This thing is due out in the next few months, and should be directly compatible with the Transformer Prime... it will offer active-digitizer-like-performance from Atmel - the guys who made the TF201 touchscreen driver chip.

vb6ve.jpg

First off, some background....
    The ASUS Transformer Prime is shipped with Atmel's MXT768E touchscreen chip - Atmel's flagship latest-n-greatest chip to date.
    SOURCE: http://www.chipworks.com/en/technic...con-inside-the-asus-eeepad-transformer-prime/

MXT768E chip details:
    http://www.atmel.com/microsite/maxtouch_eseries/mxt768e.asp
    Key Features
    • Narrow stylus identification and tracking

The maXStylus:

The Atmel maXStylus mXTS100 is supposedly going to offer digitizer-like power in a highly sophisticated stylus... that's due the first quarter of 2012, and will require Android 4.0
    SOURCE: http://androidandme.com/2011/11/new...e-could-be-revolutionized-by-atmel-maxstylus/

According to Atmel...
    The maXStylus™ mXTS100 active stylus is designed to provide high-performance stylus capability for maXTouch™ E Series touchscreen controller solutions. The mXTS100 and maXTouch controllers together simplify touch system hardware and software while providing a state-of-the-art, inexpensive touch and stylus solution. This configuration simplifies the hardware since it requires only a single indium tin oxide (ITO) sensor that interfaces with maXTouch to detect finger touches and stylus proximity. Through the system driver and serial interface, the system host controller interfaces with the maXTouch chipset for touch and stylus data. The simultaneous touch and stylus capability is called multiSense functionality.

The mXTS100 uses capacitive sensing to detect an active maXTouch sensor presence and responds with its own signals to indicate location, pressure, button click timing and other information. The maXTouch controller receives stylus information through the sensor while also detecting finger touches. After the maXTouch controller detects a stylus presence, special algorithms activate to process the stylus data to provide high linearity, accuracy and resolution. Further processing provides excellent palm rejection, resulting in a smooth and comfortable stylus writing experience.

This is analog to Wacom-only stylii working with Wacom tablets. In this case, it's Atmel-only stylii working with touchscreens powered by Atmel E-series chips... which is inside the Transformer Prime...

We may never see a Wacom digitizer come to the Transformer Prime... but we have a pretty damn good alternative coming down the line... just check out the mXTS100's specs... 1mm resolution, automatic palm recognitiion, 140hz sampling rate...

I received my Xoom 2 Stylus today and ran a few tests..

Works with Prime ICS - YES (Very Good)
    Works with SuperNotes - Not so good.

I tested with Freenotes, Supernotes, and WritePad Stylus. They all have the same issue were the Xoom 2 Stylus registers to the screen intermittently. This is just like the issue that the WritePad Stylus developer mentions about ICS and Prime. I'm on version 9.4.2.11 of ICS.

Conclusion: Not sure, but I think it may be ICS / App issue causing the problems. My next step is to go to BB and test on TF101 and a Xoom. (Which will take a few days). I'll report back my findings.

If anyone is near a store and has access to the Xoom 2 Stylus, the TF101, and the Xoom please test.

Any thoughts?

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

I just tested the Xoom 2 Stylus on my HTC Aria phone with Paint Joy. Android 2.3 (?)

It works very well with no loss of function. Compared to Jot Pro and Bamboo the Xoom 2 Stylus is a smoother stylus.

I agree, both with that its better for the thread to be agnostic than reactionary, and with the fact that we simply wont know until somebody tries one out with the TF201.

We need more solid information about this stylus before we jump to conclusions. There is still no confirmed release date, or even estimated pricing on this product.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed because this stylus coupled with the tegra 3 will be a large step forward for tablet functionality as an art tool, opening doors to 3D modeling, sketching, drafting, painting, and photo editing with precission that you could only get with a very expensive wacom monitor.

And I NEED it lol. It would replace my whole backpack for on the go projects. Mixed with the primes keyboard it can't get any better.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
    Maybe OP or a mod can edit OP's post and at the top in big red letters post that it is NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE PRIME so people like me dont have to dig through 100+ pages.

Just a thought.