Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

ASUS (Gary Key) UNKNOWN Serial Fix - Post Results

OP SonicTab

15th January 2012, 05:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26

263 posts
Gary Key of ASUS who has been very active trying to help Prime owners with issues posted a suggested fix that seems to have helped other owners who have tablets with Unknown serial numbers and are unable to update to ICS.

Here is the suggestion:
1. As for the Serial Number Unknown problem, please try doing a factory reset. If it does not work the first time, after the reboot, please try it again and once at the desktop, wait about 10~15 minutes for the system to sync with the server. So far this has worked for users I am directly assisting at the moment on another forum but it has not worked on two particular units that were returned yesterday.

Might be an idea for users with this issue to give feedback in a separate thread here.

My Result: I've tried it twice, unit still reports an unknown serial number.
To be clear the prime has never been rooted or attempted to be rooted and was factory plastic sealed when I got it.

I have not been able to download any OTA updates, but was able to manually update to Honeycomb .33 from Asus support site.
Last edited by SonicTab; 15th January 2012 at 05:58 PM.
15th January 2012, 06:14 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 20

278 posts
That's not a fix. It's nothing.

I really want to see a link to this forum where he helped the people.
15th January 2012, 06:18 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26

263 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sontin

That's not a fix. It's nothing.

I really want to see a link to this forum where he helped the people.

It's not nothing, it is his suggested fix.
He is trying to help and works for Asus.

Lets try and keep this thread on topic and post just results.

Maybe Gary Key can post updated suggestions,
or more detailed info / steps , if needed ...
15th January 2012, 06:29 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2

22 posts
Just tried it twice. Did nothing except delete all my apps, settings, music, and books. Serial number still unknown, still can't get ICS. I wish Asus would just post the friggin update on their site so I can manually update for now until they get this sorted out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Munkee Boy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th January 2012, 07:51 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 9

35 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee Boy

Just tried it twice. Did nothing except delete all my apps, settings, music, and books. Serial number still unknown, still can't get ICS. I wish Asus would just post the friggin update on their site so I can manually update for now until they get this sorted out.

i def agree with the ICS update on the site, but whatever.

I pm'd gary with my serial #, hopefully he can help.
15th January 2012, 08:49 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
No Luck
Tried it twice - still no luck. I've seen ppl in this forum reporting that factory reset worked for them, that how i got the idea before even finding this post. Good Luck to others.
15th January 2012, 09:48 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1

23 posts
Thumbs down Didn't work
I tried it twice as well and waited for it to sync. No luck. Serial number still unknown. I hope Asus fixes it soon. If not I might be returning mine and looking at other alternatives.
15th January 2012, 09:52 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 9

96 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollcki

I've seen ppl in this forum reporting that factory reset worked for them

Who? What thread?
15th January 2012, 10:00 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 32

296 posts
Tried it twice, no dice.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee Boy

Yes, get it on site asap--before a host of people return their ATPs.
15th January 2012, 10:23 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 40

259 posts
Did this multiple times a day, did this multiple times throughout several days, still "Serial Number Unknown" and no OTA Updates.

Also, purchased it from Best Buy.com, got it the day after ICS was released, that was the first thing I tried to do, turn it on and update to ICS. Nothing! Wasn't rooted, since you cannot root a "Serial Number Unknown" tablet as much as Gary or Asus may want to hint that it is based on previous comments.

More of a suggestion, and far from a fix. The OP should update the title with a questions mark so it is obvious this is a suggestion and NOT a fix!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread