Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,281 Members 51,291 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ASUS (Gary Key) UNKNOWN Serial Fix - Post Results

Tip us?

SonicTab
Old
(Last edited by SonicTab; 15th January 2012 at 04:58 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default ASUS (Gary Key) UNKNOWN Serial Fix - Post Results

Gary Key of ASUS who has been very active trying to help Prime owners with issues posted a suggested fix that seems to have helped other owners who have tablets with Unknown serial numbers and are unable to update to ICS.

Here is the suggestion:
1. As for the Serial Number Unknown problem, please try doing a factory reset. If it does not work the first time, after the reboot, please try it again and once at the desktop, wait about 10~15 minutes for the system to sync with the server. So far this has worked for users I am directly assisting at the moment on another forum but it has not worked on two particular units that were returned yesterday.

Might be an idea for users with this issue to give feedback in a separate thread here.

My Result: I've tried it twice, unit still reports an unknown serial number.
To be clear the prime has never been rooted or attempted to be rooted and was factory plastic sealed when I got it.

I have not been able to download any OTA updates, but was able to manually update to Honeycomb .33 from Asus support site.

sontin
Old
Thanks Meter 20
That's not a fix. It's nothing.

I really want to see a link to this forum where he helped the people.

SonicTab
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sontin View Post
That's not a fix. It's nothing.

I really want to see a link to this forum where he helped the people.
It's not nothing, it is his suggested fix.
He is trying to help and works for Asus.

Lets try and keep this thread on topic and post just results.

Maybe Gary Key can post updated suggestions,
or more detailed info / steps , if needed ...

Munkee Boy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Just tried it twice. Did nothing except delete all my apps, settings, music, and books. Serial number still unknown, still can't get ICS. I wish Asus would just post the friggin update on their site so I can manually update for now until they get this sorted out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Munkee Boy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ramtripper
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee Boy View Post
Just tried it twice. Did nothing except delete all my apps, settings, music, and books. Serial number still unknown, still can't get ICS. I wish Asus would just post the friggin update on their site so I can manually update for now until they get this sorted out.
i def agree with the ICS update on the site, but whatever.

I pm'd gary with my serial #, hopefully he can help.

trollcki
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default No Luck

Tried it twice - still no luck. I've seen ppl in this forum reporting that factory reset worked for them, that how i got the idea before even finding this post. Good Luck to others.

CTNewb
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs down Didn't work

I tried it twice as well and waited for it to sync. No luck. Serial number still unknown. I hope Asus fixes it soon. If not I might be returning mine and looking at other alternatives.

Rogue100
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollcki View Post
I've seen ppl in this forum reporting that factory reset worked for them
Who? What thread?

dgjl
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Tried it twice, no dice.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee Boy View Post
Yes, get it on site asap--before a host of people return their ATPs.

3rdamention
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Did this multiple times a day, did this multiple times throughout several days, still "Serial Number Unknown" and no OTA Updates.

Also, purchased it from Best Buy.com, got it the day after ICS was released, that was the first thing I tried to do, turn it on and update to ICS. Nothing! Wasn't rooted, since you cannot root a "Serial Number Unknown" tablet as much as Gary or Asus may want to hint that it is based on previous comments.

More of a suggestion, and far from a fix. The OP should update the title with a questions mark so it is obvious this is a suggestion and NOT a fix!