[HOWTO] Use the dsixda Kitchen to make Galaxy W ROMS

Search This thread

vhick

Feb 13, 2012
Antipolo City
Hi Sir,

I don't know what's the problem but after reverting to previous version (0.195) and build a ROM, Google Play Store is working again.

Its ok now and thank you for immediate response :)

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Hi Sir,

I don't know what's the problem but after reverting to previous version (0.195) and build a ROM, Google Play Store is working again.

Then it's coincidence, because the only change in 0.196 is:
"Added definition file for SGH-I757M (Bell SGS2 HD LTE)."

Adding a blank file to add support for the SGS2 HD LTE will not break the Play Store.. Trust me on this ;) I haven't made major changes to the kitchen since December.

Release notes:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5626296&postcount=2

Last edited:
Reactions: vhick

kemaro30

Dec 7, 2011
Manila
i got a question guys, what do you guys prefer on using the kitchen, is it desktop computer or a laptop? i would like to try on my desktop but i only got a single processor so i think it would really need too much patience for it to work, and if laptop i'm planning to buy an i5 soon or should i go for linux? or still windows?

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
i got a question guys, what do you guys prefer on using the kitchen, is it desktop computer or a laptop? i would like to try on my desktop but i only got a single processor so i think it would really need too much patience for it to work, and if laptop i'm planning to buy an i5 soon or should i go for linux? or still windows?

The kitchen runs much faster in Linux.

kemaro30

Dec 7, 2011
Manila
I don't understand your question -- You use a laptop if you're travelling, you use a desktop if you're sitting at home. You can install Linux on any PC or Mac.

oh sorry i mean what do you use most when developing, i'm thinking if i should just buy an i5 desktop or a linux laptop for my developing purposes, i can't still decide :(

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
oh sorry i mean what do you use most when developing, i'm thinking if i should just buy an i5 desktop or a linux laptop for my developing purposes, i can't still decide :(

This is not actual developing. If you're making a ROM from source code such as CyanogenMod, then yes you need an i7. But for simple extracting and zipping get a cheap computer with decent CPU. Linux and MacOS X run way faster than Cygwin for kitchen purposes.

kemaro30

Dec 7, 2011
Manila
This is not actual developing. If you're making a ROM from source code such as CyanogenMod, then yes you need an i7. But for simple extracting and zipping get a cheap computer with decent CPU. Linux and MacOS X run way faster than Cygwin for kitchen purposes.

I see, i really just want to know what to buy :) i think ill go with that i7, i'm just new to android but i understand java because i work as a newbie programmer so i think i'll just pursue my hobby :) :good: thanks for the response

Zetup-EXE

Oct 20, 2011
Hi there,

Intro:
All i wanna do with the kitchen is deodexing my stockrom(s).

1st:
after reading and reading a lot of information i tried to deodex a nandroid backup of my rooted KL2 Stockrom (i did this before with my SGS 2). Everything within the kitchen went easy and smooth, the only Warning was that Cygwin (from dsi-kitchen thread) my not process the file vpn-ip-up correctly and i should copy it from the device. i tried that, and found out, that this is an symlink to the file vpn-ip-down.

building the rom anyway makes a 1KB File instead a symlink.

is this issue known? and if, how could i do it right? any help / hint would be very nice. :eek:

2nd:
ext2explore is always not responding after extracting a lot of files when i try to "save" an original system.img from a downloaded sammy rom. i use checkfusdownloader v.2.1 to get them. so how could i be sure that all files have been saved correctly? (I use Win7 x86 with disabled uac)

cu..
Zetup-EXE

dimaka1256

Dec 31, 2011
Sevastopol
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 11
a little bit necroposting..
i'm trying to build a kernel from arco's sources
compiled it, got zImage
opened Kitchen, used option 20 to decompile existing boot.img.. got zImage and ramdisk from exitsting boot.img..
how do i REPACK boot.img with my fresh zImage? simply replacing it in unpacked folder doesn't work

Eddicts

May 3, 2012
Georgetown
The only thing that i didn't understand here is KERNEL/BUILD.PROP and the SCRIPT thing.I messed up 6th times :( how do i add them in my created rom?Was download those thing necessary? :(

Eddicts

May 3, 2012
Georgetown
Guys,i tried to put the playstore and TW launcher in the rom but both are force close..Any idea why?Any help or advice for the noobie?

imadiu

Jan 4, 2011
Singapore
Is it possible for me to build a ROM with NO knowledge about how. I mean, is it possible for me to learn it just by downloading it and reading through it. Or is there a tutorial?

mosta_9741

Mar 28, 2012
Cairo
Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Lite
Is it possible for me to build a ROM with NO knowledge about how. I mean, is it possible for me to learn it just by downloading it and reading through it. Or is there a tutorial?

ull have to go through alot of reading to understand wts meant by every term ull face but u can follow wt the kitchen tells u and wn u face smthn new just search it on the internet or go bk to the kitchen thread to read the faqs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Actually, regarding the instructions in Post 1, you could probably skip all of them and do this only:

Rename the file tools/edify_defs/GT-I9001 to: GT-I8150
    i found something in this forum....can this mathod used for sgw?look likes same i follow some of the guide.....

Hey Guys,
    I am going to explain some of the files in a custom rom,the small and easy to mod files because the aim is to educate newbies and NOT advanced devs.
    Ok,So,I have seen a lot of questions being asked nowadays about making custom roms.This guide is NOT about building a custom rom but about editing and modding it.I am doing this guide taking CM7 as base,not stock,so there might be differences between the roms you choose to mod.Also,I am prone to mistakes here and there.If i made any,please comment about it and i will remove it.Also,please feel free to give your suggestions about making this guide better
    What you would need:
    Notepad++
    WinRar or any other zip/rar manager like 7zip or WinZip
    If you want go advanced,you would also need these things
    Cygwin
    Smali/Baksmali
    APK Multi tool or anything like that,i dont care
    And most importantly,a brain and eyes(So,Dont ask me stupid questions like,how de fuk du i xtarct? and then in brackets,sorry for my english)

GUIDE:
    So,first up,download a rom of your choice(Dont forget to get the permissions for modding from the developer) and extract it.When you extract it,you will see 2 folders and 1 file,it varies.It depends on the contents of the rom.
    The folders are:
    1.META-INF
    2.system
    The file:
    1.boot.img

So,
    Open up system and the first folder you are going to see is 'apps'.
    As you already see,this is the place where all the apps go,for the history.You might also see some .odex files below the apps.So,if you remove an app,you should delete the odex file too.If you want to add an app,just drag and drop Take care not to delete each and every app you find,because each of them has their own functions.Also,if you delete contact.apk and replace it with a better dialer like Exdialer,you wont be able to add or delete contacts.So,there are some files better left alone.
    If you want to know how to merge them,then use google,there are a lot of tutorials on deodexing.If you want to edit an app,then use APK multi tool,again please use google,lots of tuts on this one too.
    Also,you will find an app here and its a main one,systemui.apk By editing systemui.apk,you can get transparent status bars,transparent notification bars,centre the clock.Things like that.The idea with which you edit Systemui.apk and framework-res.apk,thats how your rom is going to look like.These files handle the visual things and they are awesome too.For some systemui mods,refer HERE

Next,the 'bin' folder,this guide is aimed at the noobs,so nothing about this,this is a bit advanced stuff,so sorry.

Next up,the 'etc' folder.There are a lot of things that go here.I wont be going to full details for the moment because i am having exams,so no time.However,i will be explaining the easy to explain files.
    One thing you will notice is the 'init.d' folder.If you want to add any script like LagFree v2,just put the files of the init.d folder in the script's folder here,nothing else.You dont need to copy any other files like META-INF.
    Another file,is CHANGELOG-CM,just as the name suggests its a file giving you changelogs
    Another file is NOTICE.html..Its just a file showing copyrights and all that stuff.You wouldnt need to edit that,would you?
    Will add more about the other files soon

Next,the 'fonts' folder..You guys need an explanation for that??

Next,'framework' folder.Here you will find framework-res.apk(Obviously,duh...).I wont tell about any other file because this is aimed at new users,not advanced guys.Framework-res is where all the icons in notification bar are.The battery icons,they are all in framework.Also,lockscreen icons
    go here..Most of the icons.If i have to start on anything.It would take me weeks,theres so much to write about framework.Also take care not to mess up the framework.Because its like the skeleton(thats what i know ) of a rom.If a framework is incorrectly configured,the rom wont boot.So,keep that in your mind always when you edit framework.

Next,the 'libs' folder,This guide is aimed at newbies,so not touching this part.

And comes 'media'..Most probably you will find 2-3 folders here.Audio,bootanimation.zip and wallpapers.
    If you want to change the default,its in build.prop,not here,i will explain that later.If you need to add some audio,its just drag and drop,nothing much,just put them in the right folders,like alarms,ringtones and notifications
    If you need to add wallpapers,reszie the pictures to 640x480,thats the resolution that works for ace.Also resize it to 107x80 and save it as another pic with a _small at the end.For eg,the default file is defaultwallpaper.jpg,you make another pic with 107x80 called defaultwallper_small.jpg.
    Then,theres the bootanimation.zip..However way you change this thing.Always name it bootanimation.If you want to know how to make a boot animation,then refer freeyourandroid.com

Next up is 'tts' folder..Sorry but i dont know much about this folder.I think this folder contains the languages for the tts app but i am not sure about it.Same goes for 'usr' and 'wifi' folders.But since this thread is aimed at newbies,i dont think there wouldnt a point in writing them up anyway

Next up is build.prop file.Open it with notepad++...build.prop file is pretty self explanatory.
    Here you can change the most basic things like the android version that setting shows..Wondered how people are making 2.3.4 look like 4.0.3 in settings??Its build.prop.Also,you can change what 'About phone' shows here.
    Other things,you can change things like,how long your wifi scans,how much battery your phone saves while in sleep,Dalvik VM heapsize and default ringtones.If you are wondering what # stands for,it signifies that,that particular tweak is not running,so you can take out the # if its a tweak you like.You could also use it say things like,Additional build properties.You could make it #AdditionalBuildProperties and go to the next line and give your tweaks there.Some build.prop tweaks can be found in slaid480's thread in Galaxy Ace S5830 titled "[MOD]Build.prop tweaks for SGA" or you can go to freeyourandroid.com and find some tweaks there,however the tweaks listed there are universal,so practise caution when playing with build.prop

Now to boot.img..Theres an awesome guide about this in freeyourandroid.com Please have a look at it,because there are lots to write about this one.This is where Cygwin comes in,for instructions on unpacking and repacking and commands and info about boot.img,referHERE and HERE.My summarized version,boot.img is where you can replace kernels.This is where you can make those low-level changes

Then,to META-INF folder.You would find lots of folders here but the file that you would edit consistently is update script.Find it and open it with Notepad++..Unless you edited xbin and bin files,this is not hard to do..Just change around ui_print to what you like.Dont touch anything else if you dont know what you are doing.If you DID edit xbin or bin files,you would need to touch advanced things like symlink tagged ones(I had to give them some sort of a tag)

Now on making it a flashable zip,archive them to a zip file.Get a signer here: http://xdaforums.com/show...96&postcount=2

The instructions on using that are given with it.Just rename it back to the name you like after signing it.
    Thx for sharing your knowledge...it can give a massive headache when u don't know a thing about this stuff, like me..i will learn with my die-hard mode ..
    anyway I have a question for you..about bootanimation on your v2 rom..how you disable it.? How you do that.?sammy using a proprietary file for his bootanim rite.?a .qmg file,am I rite? How you do that.? Seriously,i do wanna know..

I'm more interested on modding theme,crt anim,etc...but my knowledge limit my passion...

sent from another space

Allow me to answer on behalf :D Just insert this into build.prob:

debug.sf.nobootanimation=1

Boot up actually faster! Get more build tweak here:

http://www.android-hilfe.de/root-ha...imus-3d/145592-tweaks-scripts-collection.html
    The instructions in Post #1 should not be necessary, the kitchen should support this device without modification to the scripts or adding new files. Can someone confirm, and also update the first post??
    Hi Sir,

Then it's coincidence, because the only change in 0.196 is:
    "Added definition file for SGH-I757M (Bell SGS2 HD LTE)."

Adding a blank file to add support for the SGS2 HD LTE will not break the Play Store.. Trust me on this ;) I haven't made major changes to the kitchen since December.

Release notes:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5626296&postcount=2