Official ASUS Thread - Serial Number Not Found

OP Gary Key

16th January 2012, 10:22 AM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 1

167 posts
No luck for me either.

I am no Android engineer, but I canīt help myself. It seems to me like someone just forget to enter actually SN into the device. Could not Asus just make some USB flash utility where user would write SN from sticker and flash it to device? As simple as that?
16th January 2012, 10:42 AM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 32

213 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokevitek

No luck for me either.

I am no Android engineer, but I canīt help myself. It seems to me like someone just forget to enter actually SN into the device. Could not Asus just make some USB flash utility where user would write SN from sticker and flash it to device? As simple as that?

Some people suspect the problem to be more than just a serial number not showing up, but something more like a process not executing successfully and then blocking the SN thing.
The trick doesn't work for me either by the way, sent my serial number by PM.
16th January 2012, 10:57 AM   |  #23  

167 posts
Yeah, I read everything I found on this problem. But since firmware is the same in all devices, and hardware too, only thing left is some memory un-affected by firmware flash, like BIOS in PC.

This exactly reminds me of for example brighteness settings on NTB. These are stored in BIOS table, not affected by OS, but OS reads them and with incorrect values it acts incorrectly. So maybe our memory that holds SN is either damaged or not flashed properly. The second problem could and sould be solvable using pure SW methods. I too hope its SW solvable, but if it is not please Asus, tell us so we can RMA our devices and be lucky customers.

I donīt know worldwide, but in Czech Republic for example Primes are still only in few numbers, I am one of the lucky few whe got first devices. So more and more people will rise with the exact problem in time... Sending my SN to Gary right now
16th January 2012, 01:46 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
More
I just got my Prime last friday (DE variant). In the status menu i can see the serial number, but when trying to update from 8.8.3.27 to the current version of HC (ICS is not provided in germany yet), it just shows me "no update available".

I was able to successfully update to the current HC firmware by doing a manual update with the files provided on the asus support page. My question now just is: Are there currently any issues with the update structure or why are the updates not showing up on my device? When reading in the forums it seems that i'm not the only one having these issues. Will i be able to update without a hassle in the future or should i return the device?
16th January 2012, 03:11 PM   |  #25  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1,612

87 posts
1/16/12 Update - We have replicated this problem and hopefully we will have a solution shortly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Key For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th January 2012, 03:22 PM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 39

256 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Key

1/16/12 Update - We have replicated this problem and hopefully we will have a solution shortly.

Great work Gary! I wish I wouldn't have taken mine back but I had no choice since the problem was a month old (people have had this since December) and I didn't want to get stuck with it and not be able to return it.

This makes me feel a little better about Asus, I just dont know what is going to happen to people who have not found this forum and have the "Serial Number" bug.
16th January 2012, 03:36 PM   |  #27  

1 posts
Gary Is it a software problem or a hardware problem?
16th January 2012, 03:52 PM   |  #28  

167 posts
Gary, you are great. If you post solution shortly, you are our hero!

Little OT: I know you really work for this community, and I really donīt want to complain, but could you look, or answer one more issue many people have?

Screen brighteness is automatically adjusted based on what it is displaying. When there is a scene with more light, brighteness goes up, when darker scene, brighteness goes down. Much like dynamic contrast works. Important thing is, this is WITHOUT auto brighteness. (turned off).

Probably DIDIM technology is cousing this effect. It is supposed to dynamically save power by adjusting backlight and image, but for now it just causes very noticeable brighteness changes which are very distracting while watching videos or playing games.

Since we can observer different "levels" in which this technology steps in, based on power mode selected, it seems its software-adjustable, or at least it can be calibrated.

So, please on behalf of many people which are annoyed by this very obvious effect, could any upcomming update has this feature either tuned, or optional?

ORIGINAL THREAD (XDA): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1421002

Thank.
16th January 2012, 05:58 PM   |  #29  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1,612

87 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_mkoch

Gary Is it a software problem or a hardware problem?

At this point, thanks to the users who reported their serial numbers we think it is probably a software fix as those serial numbers are being seen on our server side and available for a OTA update. Either way, we will take care of those users with this problem. I will be contacting these users shortly for additional information to confirm our findings and solution.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Key For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th January 2012, 06:52 PM   |  #30  

12 posts
Glad to see its being fixed, I like many others dont wanna return there prime. I was just waiting it out till asus could fix it.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

Are we going to be looking at geting a fix quickly, or are we going to be waiting awhile for the firmware update to hit the site?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread