Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,865 Members 44,714 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone else get the ATT top 5%???

Tip us?

legendindisguise
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I have been dealing with AT&T the past two months about the supposed 5% crap. Last month my brother got throttled when he hit 5G, which I think is fair. However, the next month he got a notice after 100mb saying he was in the 5%. The next day he was throttled, this all took place within the first week of the billing cycle. Placed a call to AT&T and nobody could give me a good reason why. One of the reps told me that she has repeatedly gone over 10G a month trying to get the 5% message and has not received anything. She passed me onto "their" data department and he was useless. He tried to give me an example of how it worked for the 5%. "If I lived in an area where nobody uses data on AT&T and I happend to use 500mb then I would be throttled". This is total crap. My brother tried to use google maps for directions as he was lost and he said it took almost 10 minutes for it to load up and give hime directions. I am truly considering canceling all of my lines, and I have been with them since Cingular. Like everyone else already stated, at that time they pushed the unlimited data plan and I was allowed to use it for tethering before they started to realize people using the phone as modems. Even their customer service rep back at that time said I could as there was not a clause when I signed up back then.

bdaman80
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Now see I've been told by ATT csr's over the phone that location has nothing to do with it. That it is top 5% of overall nationwide users. Which I knew was BS, but that leads me to ask this question. I live in an area with hsdpa service (partially) and I went to Kansas for work for 2 weeks. It was an an area that had Gprs data service at best. And I'm sure not a lot of data gets used. Would that that include my 1.2 Gb usage in there much lower 5%, and cause me to get capped?
If I have helped you , please hit "Thanks"

Dont forget to support the EFF - I'm a card carrying member, are You?

Samsung SGS III (SGH-I747) - Currently ROM Jumping
MotoACTV 8Gb - ClearDroid for ACTV
Acer Iconia A500 - ReFlexx
HTC Inspire 4G - Retired
Motorola Atrix2 - Retired
HTC Lexikon - Retired
Samsung Aviator (SCH-R930) - Retired
Infinitec Pocket TV M1 (Never Released) - Bricked
Infinitec Pocket TV M3 - Retired

bdaman-dev.net

shawn1224
Old
(Last edited by shawn1224; 17th February 2012 at 01:19 AM.)
Thanks Meter 50
These bastards just started throttling me 2 months ago. The first month they cut me off at 5 gigs and then last month they cut me off at 2 gigs. I work in the oil field here in Odessa TX and spend most of my time out in the field and they have the audacity to tell me to use more wifi like I don't know that.

Fckn att pisses me off, as soon as I can I'm switching to sprint

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using XDA App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shawn1224 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pazzo02
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaman80 View Post
Now see I've been told by ATT csr's over the phone that location has nothing to do with it. That it is top 5% of overall nationwide users. Which I knew was BS, but that leads me to ask this question. I live in an area with hsdpa service (partially) and I went to Kansas for work for 2 weeks. It was an an area that had Gprs data service at best. And I'm sure not a lot of data gets used. Would that that include my 1.2 Gb usage in there much lower 5%, and cause me to get capped?
So now I've seen multiple users post that CSRs told them a) it is location based and b) it isn't location based. Yet another thing CSRs have obviously not been trained to answer. Way to go AT&T!
If at first you don't succeed...SEARCH!

HTC Inspire 4G - retired
HTC One X+ - awesome

legendindisguise
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
So now I've seen multiple users post that CSRs told them a) it is location based and b) it isn't location based. Yet another thing CSRs have obviously not been trained to answer. Way to go AT&T!
Right, there is no consistency in what they are telling people (customers).

AgentSeethroo
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendindisguise View Post
I have been dealing with AT&T the past two months about the supposed 5% crap. Last month my brother got throttled when he hit 5G, which I think is fair. However, the next month he got a notice after 100mb saying he was in the 5%. The next day he was throttled, this all took place within the first week of the billing cycle. Placed a call to AT&T and nobody could give me a good reason why. One of the reps told me that she has repeatedly gone over 10G a month trying to get the 5% message and has not received anything. She passed me onto "their" data department and he was useless. He tried to give me an example of how it worked for the 5%. "If I lived in an area where nobody uses data on AT&T and I happend to use 500mb then I would be throttled". This is total crap. My brother tried to use google maps for directions as he was lost and he said it took almost 10 minutes for it to load up and give hime directions. I am truly considering canceling all of my lines, and I have been with them since Cingular. Like everyone else already stated, at that time they pushed the unlimited data plan and I was allowed to use it for tethering before they started to realize people using the phone as modems. Even their customer service rep back at that time said I could as there was not a clause when I signed up back then.
Yeah. I've dealt with the same crap. Two months ago I was throttled at 6g, which is reasonable, I suppose.

I just got the message this morning, and I'm currently sitting at 1.6g. This is complete and utter bull****. Looks like I'll be switching to Sprint and getting that badass Evo 3D, termination fees be damned.

pazzo02
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendindisguise View Post
He tried to give me an example of how it worked for the 5%. "If I lived in an area where nobody uses data on AT&T and I happend to use 500mb then I would be throttled".
And this also contradicts AT&T's reasoning for throttling data in the first place, "to ensure availability of the network for the majority of users". If no one else in the area is using data, there should be no reason to throttle someone!

In my opinion, the system that AT&T is using to throttle customers is flawed. It's obviously automated, and it obviously isn't working the way it was intended. Our only hope is that AT&T realizes/cares that people are getting throttled when they shouldn't be and makes changes to the way it's being done. Only more complaints will help, and be sure to tell them that you want your complaint documented and escalated.

The system should work more like what I've heard about Verizon's throttling (I think only on their 3G network). Heaviest users should only be throttled at times of heavy network congestion, and restored once the network is freed up. But that's assuming that AT&T is telling the truth about why they're throttling. I've heard it suggested that the throttling is due to AT&T being fined by the government due to going over their spectrum use allowance. True or false, we may never know.
If at first you don't succeed...SEARCH!

HTC Inspire 4G - retired
HTC One X+ - awesome

MarkDK2
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I was throttled on my iPhone 4s a month ago so I added a line and got an inspire 4g to split the load as I use it mostly for work. I never did get a good explanation from ATT as I barely went over 3gb.

legendindisguise
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
And this also contradicts AT&T's reasoning for throttling data in the first place, "to ensure availability of the network for the majority of users". If no one else in the area is using data, there should be no reason to throttle someone!

In my opinion, the system that AT&T is using to throttle customers is flawed. It's obviously automated, and it obviously isn't working the way it was intended. Our only hope is that AT&T realizes/cares that people are getting throttled when they shouldn't be and makes changes to the way it's being done. Only more complaints will help, and be sure to tell them that you want your complaint documented and escalated.

The system should work more like what I've heard about Verizon's throttling (I think only on their 3G network). Heaviest users should only be throttled at times of heavy network congestion, and restored once the network is freed up. But that's assuming that AT&T is telling the truth about why they're throttling. I've heard it suggested that the throttling is due to AT&T being fined by the government due to going over their spectrum use allowance. True or false, we may never know.
It would be great if you just got throttled at the time of high data usage and then went back to normal. Rather than throttling on the 3rd day of the billing cycle and your phone not really being functional for the remainder of the month.

Tx Redneck
Old
Thanks Meter 677
What's the mess they're touting about lack of spectrum?

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/11...verything-else

Saved and Texan by the grace of God, Redneck by choice.
God will not save you from that which he will perfect you through. Dr Voddie Baucham

If more people would get a divorce from themselves, they might learn how to live happily with someone else. Dr Ed Young Sr

No man ever sank beneath the burden of the day, it is when tomorrows burdens are added to today that the weight is more than we can bear. Dr Charles Stanley

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe