After receiving many questions on how I modded my Espier Launcher.apk I decided to write this tutorial. Many thanks to Taine0 for inspiration and initial instructions!
WHAT THIS GUIDE IS FOR:
-How to change icons in espier launcher
-How to change page indicators
-How to change dock
-How to change notification bubble
-How to add custom icons (for apps not natively themed by espier launcher) RECENTLY EDITED
-How to install onto phone
A. Preliminary Steps:
1. Install apktool
2. Create a directory called Espier launcher mod
3. Download Espier Launcher and rename to launcher.apk
4. Place Espier Launcher into that directory.
5. Open terminal.
6. Change terminal directory to your Espier launcher mod folder.
E.G. I ran this:
cd /home/gaurav/Desktop/Espier launcher mod
apktool d launcher.apk
Now, to prevent icons from being edited (in a bad way) by Espier Launcher, download this icon and place it in drawable-(h/m/l)dpi. This is crucial to prevent your icons from getting a weird white glow around them!
1. Open res/drawable-(hdpi/ldpi/mdpi/xhdpi) *depending on what screen size your phone is. I have an mdpi so i will go into drawble-mdpi
2. Change the desired icon
For example, the file
3. Refer to Section G
C. Changing page indicators
1. Open res/drawable-mdpi
2. Find the file:
4. Open res/drawable-hdpi
5. Replace these files with desired images.
ic_screen_level_focus ic_screen_level_normal.png ic_screen_level_search_focus.png ic_screen_level_search_normal.png ic_screen_level_widget_focus.png ic_screen_level_widget_normal.png
D. How to change dock
1. Navigate to res/drawable-mdpi (in my case)
2. Find file called
4. Refer to Section G.
E. How to change notification bubble.
1. Open res/drawable-mdpi
2. Find and replace with desired image
F. How to add custom icons
*Warning* This section is a lot more confusing. Please read carefully. *Warning*
1. Navigate to /res/values/arrays.xml
2. Now, it gets tricky.
3. Go this website
4. Search for an app. It should look like this:
5. Now, in arrays.xml, scroll down until you see this type of coding
6. Get to the end of that "chunk" of xml.
7. Let's say we're theming the facebook app. So we add this to xml. (and fill it out with info)
<item>ACTIVITY_OF_APP</item> <item>DESCRIPTIVE_ACTIVITY_OF_APP</item> <item>@drawable/NAME_OF_APP</item>
<item>com.facebook.katana</item> <item>com.facebook.katana.LoginActivity</item> <item>@drawable/facebook</item>
and the second:
in that third line of that xml we add (@drawable/NAME_OF_APP), you can name your app anything you want. i made it "facebook" in this case.
8. Save and exit.
9. Find a desired image for your application (in this case facebook).
10. Rename it to "NAME_OF_APP.png" in this case, "facebook.png"
11. Drop that file into drawable/mdpi
12. Repeat steps 1-11 for as many applications as you want to theme.
13. Refer to Section G.
G. How to install on your phone
1. First, save and close everything you're working on.
2. Open your terminal, and change its directory to the "espier launcher mod" folder
3. Type in
apktool b 'PATH_TO/espier launcher mod' 1.apk
5. Connect your phone to your computer via USB.
6. Mount it as a mass storage device.
7. Transfer that signed.apk to the root of your sdcard.
8. Now on your phone, uninstall any current version of EspierLauncher you may have.
9. Then, using a file manager, install the signed.apk from your sdcard.
Hope everyone finds this guide very useful! If you want to see what it looks like as a completed project Check out my DeviantArt