ICS expected by April now?

OP strra

17th January 2012, 07:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lake George, MI
Thanks Meter: 88

396 posts
More
According to Acer ANZ's Facebook page, the a500 is now scheduled to get the ICS update by April 2012 as opposed to the former January expectation.
I suppose this is better than not getting it at all
Hopefully, someone will have a fully functioning build sooner than Acer does!

The Facebook page is here: http://www.facebook.com/AcerANZ

Also, attached a picture of the comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	1573
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	860520  
Last edited by strra; 17th January 2012 at 07:24 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strra For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th January 2012, 10:49 AM   |  #2  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 19

391 posts
More
I'm guessing ANZ stands for Australia-New Zealand? If so, then the same applies for India too.
17th January 2012, 01:13 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 5

77 posts
More
If you look again, ACER ANZ have removed their comment. This can only mean 1 thing; that they were wrong/didn't know the actual date.
17th January 2012, 03:43 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,343

1,387 posts
Donate to Me
It will come when it comes. At least Acer is a lot faster than Samsung when it comes to software updates, especially to its "lesser known" devices........

If you are dying to get ICS there is a ROM for it over at tegra owners. Almost everything is working except for the camera. You do so at your own risk though.
17th January 2012, 05:59 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lake George, MI
Thanks Meter: 88

396 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by masands

If you look again, ACER ANZ have removed their comment. This can only mean 1 thing; that they were wrong/didn't know the actual date.

Well, I don't know about it only meaning that.. Maybe the guy's boss found out that he spilled the beans and demanded he take it down...
Anyway, we all hope he was full of it and Acer Poland was right with January. But like I said, better April than never.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
Last edited by strra; 17th January 2012 at 06:02 PM.
17th January 2012, 09:12 PM   |  #6  
Flag Noel,Nova Scotia
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
January would be good,Feb. Is OK, April is along way off. I just hope we get it.Just got a survey from Acerasking how I liked A500, responded that they should make sure that an OTA update to ICS comes soon, said that alot of people on xda developers and other Acer and android sites expect it and will be pi**ed with Acer if it doesn't come soon.I know this would be my last Acer product if it does not happen.

Wayne
Last edited by wthomas50; 17th January 2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: addition
18th January 2012, 01:23 AM   |  #7  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 209

315 posts
Actually, let me clear up some of the confusion. The February-April ICS date mentioned was ICS estimated release for ACER's new hardware. For example, if you buy an a200 they will tell you to look for ICS starting in February as an OTA.

Again, everyone needs to watch actually what ACER is actually saying. Because they are releasing new hardware (really nice what I saw at CES) with HC, it is nuking up the waters. I stood there at CES and watched a person come up and ask 'when we getting ICS?' and they replied starting in Feb. But, when I asked the salesman, are you saying we're getting ICS on the a500, starting in Feb? The sales person said, no. That this was for these new tablets they're releasing now with HC. But, the person asking had already walked away assuming they were talking about all tablets with HC.

So a lot of people are taking this as ACER saying older equipment will also be getting the ICS OTA. This is not clear, nor has it been clear when we've talked to ACER directly. It really depends on which way the wind blows. They told the 'suits' here that it wasn't then was, and then it wasn't. So, maybe you have to drink more to understand it <lol>.

So, if you want ICS then load a custom ROM that already has it. You can always flash back if and when they release it.

TD
Last edited by timmyDean; 18th January 2012 at 01:29 AM.
kjy2010
18th January 2012, 01:37 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
If it takes Acer until April to get ICS to the A500, I'll be buying anything BUT an Acer that is out with Teg3 and ICS.
Scr3w that!
18th January 2012, 01:42 AM   |  #9  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 209

315 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjy2010

If it takes Acer until April to get ICS to the A500, I'll be buying anything BUT an Acer that is out with Teg3 and ICS.
Scr3w that!

I think I'm with you too. CES had some really, really, really nice Teg3 ones and NO LOCKED bootloader.
18th January 2012, 02:07 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 10

102 posts
More
Yeah... hoping I didn't get screwed over for the second time; once by motorola and now soon* by acer. I still believe in you acer!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread