download and install the sdk
it may ask you to install the java sdk as well, do so
2. the SDK manager should start up automagically, if not, go through the start menu and fire it up, then select android 2.3.3 (API10) and google usb driver packages
install those packages
3. go to control panel>system>advanced system settings>environment variables and find the term 'path' under system variables and edit it
add the full path to your sdb directory (IE:
;C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools;C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools)
to the end of the string in the box - it MUST be seperated from the rest of the text with a semi-colon
4. restart the computer after ok'ing your changes
5. connect the phone to the pc with the usb cable, with usb debugging enabled, but phone switched OFF
6. go to start menu on pc and type cmd in the search box, hit enter
7. type adb logcat > logfile.txt
This will output the results directly into a text file in your working directory (usually your user folder) but does not show anything in the cmd window, be sure you leave the phone attached lond enought to gather the required data before unplugging and rebooting.
Cheers to the two following posters after mine for their tips!