3,800 mAh Extended Battery Review! *Video* *Pictures* *Screenshots* vs stock!

Search This thread

EVIL JIMMY

Dec 30, 2011
Bristol
danjoyce1.blogspot.com
If you have bought this battery, and have experiences, good or bad, and want to share them, let me know! :)

No longer providing daily updates, but will post how the official extended battery compares in a few days!

If you guys would like me to either carry on testing this battery out, carry out tests on batteries I have (stock, extended, 1950 ebay), or purchase others and test them I'm more than happy to (providing cost isn't too high!) Just let me know!

Scroll down for a 100% to flat Vs stock!

Check out tuner520's findings here, here, here and here!

Hey guys,

So I took the plunge and bought one of these 3,800 mAh extended battery and covers from ebay, they finally turned up today and I am very impressed! I'm not going to try and say the back isnt ugly, but it is far easier to look at than I expected! I was expecting a massive ugly lump, and while it is fairly ugly, it isn't that big for the bump in battery life you'll be getting! The cover follows the curvature of the phone to start with, then flattens out over the top, unfortunately, it seems the designer got bored when it came to the end, and just made a square edge!

I have yet to put the battery through it's paces but will push it hard over the next few days and get back to you with the results!

Video Review!

Pictures!

2FcJRl.jpg

5023zl.jpg

aR2osl.jpg

Nrt9ul.jpg

More pictures in this gallery!

Day 1

So Its 8:30 pm here in the UK, been unplugged since 8 am, fairly heavy usage, still got 22% left. Will update with screenshots later tonight!

Day one (first full cycle) Screenshots!!! (the gap is where I made a clockwork backup) At least an hour of GTA played, and 3g was constantly on.

Day 2

Very light usage today due to having exams, so been revising all day (sitting an exam part way through). I am going to pop the battery out and do some reviews of some new cases and the official extended battery I just received, then pop the 3,800 back in and carry on into day 3!

Day 3

So I took out the battery to do some reviews last night, then put it back in, and carried on! Light usage to start with, then medium usage towards the end of the day! (streaming music, web browsing) This battery just will not go flat with this usage!!! Very impressed, it's still only on it's second cycle!

Time for some quick maths ;) if we take day 2 and day 3, add the total time together ( 12h 27m 23s +1d 1h 44m 55s = 137,538 seconds = 38.205 hours (I think!)) and take it as 50% battery used, we can calculate that the battery should last 76.41 hours, or 3.18375 days, which is pretty impressive!

Hope you guys are finding this useful, I'll update again tomorrow!

Day 4

Okay, so I used it a bit more today, and as a result it's now flat! I'm going to charge it up overnight, and tomorrow I will do a 100% to flat test streaming youtube videos, and compare against the stock battery to see how this beast does!

Day 5 - 100% to flat vs stock!

Currently running what I shall call the nyan cat test. Screen brightness on full, bluetooth on, NFC on, portable hotspot on, running on 3g, left in the same spot, playing the 10 hour nyan cat video from youtube.

Done the 3,800 mAh battery, impressive results! Just testing the stock battery then I will post up screenshots of how long they lasted! If there is enough demand for it I can also carry out this test with the official extended battery, as well as the 1,900 mAh batteries I have from eBay.

Results

Okay, so first up is the stock 1750 mAh original battery!

And now the 3,800 mAh extended battery!

So, the results speak for themselves. 3 hours extra screen on time, and the battery is still only on its third cycle!

Update: I tried to make it look better by covering it in white carbon fibre effect vinyl, but due to the excessive curves around the camera (and my somewhat lacking skills), it did not end well! :(

Last edited:

flipper23

Jan 17, 2010
so review it and tell us if it really doubles batterylife hope so otherwise it is really damn ugly

but for that price not going to argue xD

Jaevlar

Aug 3, 2010
That is one big battery!

How much weight did that thing add, counting the battery and the backpiece?:D

diablonyc2

Jan 18, 2005
New York
Wow....would you like a side of phone with your battery!

But then again, I had a Nokia 9000i Communicator...so that is still an ultra slim phone!

nmercuro

Dec 31, 2011
So are you actually seeing double battery life with this? I recall reading a while back about some 3rd party battery tests and they were only performing at about 50-60% of their rated capacity, while OEM's performed at 95-98%. The back case is hideous... I really hope someone comes out with something in between the lackluster 2100 mah ext battery and the 1850 OEM battery.

*Edit*

Saw this was for the GSM version... Whoops!

Last edited:

peglegrook

Apr 1, 2009
Has anyone found a deal for a battery of this size compatible with the LTE model?

(Preferably not the Seidio version, as it retails for near $70.)

D_Magic

Aug 6, 2010
13 hours from full to empty with 4 hours and 20 minutes screen on time with a big 3800mah battery, i get 20 hours from full to empty with 4,5 hours screen on time with my stock 1750mah battery.

I know its the first cycle but i really hope it improves alot :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

jtambis6

I've had all types of extended batteries for my Evo 4g and my Evo 3D ranging from the cheapo Chinabay to the $75 Seidio 4000mah batteries. Seidio has the closest mah rate as advertised and I once was able to get 120hours of average use out of the Seidio 4000mah battery. The Fleabay extended batteries are only "slightly" better than OEM and it adds the pregnant look to your phone.

Now that I am on the Galaxy Nexus and have loved to use Google Wallet, I am not so keen to jump to use extended batteries that do not support NFC. If Seidio is able to make an extended battery that has the NFC antenna, I will buy it in a heart beat.

wonshikee

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah looking at your screen shot, I'd estimate it's about a 2200-2500 mah at best.

A stock battery can almost hit 4 hours, and that ones got maybe 4.5 hour.

That's like what, a 60% effective mah over the rated?

Last edited:

berz

Oct 10, 2010
Bangalore
Yeah looking at your screen shot, I'd estimate it's about a 2200-2500 mah at best.

A stock battery can almost hit 4 hours, and that ones got maybe 4.5 hour.

That's like what, a 60% effective mah over the rated?

u do realise that he was playing a lotta GTA and on 3G and heavy usage u cant get over 2.5 hours on stock battrey.

tuner520

Sep 6, 2010
琉球 - Ryukyu Islands
+1 for 3800mah batt for GSM and recommend it to heavy/busy users.

Battery Monitor says batt life is
13h55m with my heavy usage
13days4hrs Standby

I measured the weight of the batteries and 3800mah is 68.65grams versus stock at 37.75g

BTW, my phone (SC-04D Docomo G.Nexus) is same as the US GSM type. The GPU is overclocked to 384mhz, processor overclocked to 1.42Ghz and its tweaked from kernel to baseband.

Also, I noticed is that this battery has a working internal temp sensor unlike my X10's mugen 3600mah. I don't use NFC but can put the stock batt back in for that moment... it only takes seconds for the Nexus to boot up anyways.

If you need/want extra batt power, I highly recommend this battery. I've used these fat type batteries for 2 phones now and love them both.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have bought this battery, and have experiences, good or bad, and want to share them, let me know! :)

No longer providing daily updates, but will post how the official extended battery compares in a few days!

If you guys would like me to either carry on testing this battery out, carry out tests on batteries I have (stock, extended, 1950 ebay), or purchase others and test them I'm more than happy to (providing cost isn't too high!) Just let me know!

Scroll down for a 100% to flat Vs stock!

Check out tuner520's findings here, here, here and here!

Hey guys,

So I took the plunge and bought one of these 3,800 mAh extended battery and covers from ebay, they finally turned up today and I am very impressed! I'm not going to try and say the back isnt ugly, but it is far easier to look at than I expected! I was expecting a massive ugly lump, and while it is fairly ugly, it isn't that big for the bump in battery life you'll be getting! The cover follows the curvature of the phone to start with, then flattens out over the top, unfortunately, it seems the designer got bored when it came to the end, and just made a square edge!

I have yet to put the battery through it's paces but will push it hard over the next few days and get back to you with the results!

Video Review!

Pictures!

2FcJRl.jpg

5023zl.jpg

aR2osl.jpg

Nrt9ul.jpg

More pictures in this gallery!

Day 1

So Its 8:30 pm here in the UK, been unplugged since 8 am, fairly heavy usage, still got 22% left. Will update with screenshots later tonight!

Day one (first full cycle) Screenshots!!! (the gap is where I made a clockwork backup) At least an hour of GTA played, and 3g was constantly on.

Day 2

Very light usage today due to having exams, so been revising all day (sitting an exam part way through). I am going to pop the battery out and do some reviews of some new cases and the official extended battery I just received, then pop the 3,800 back in and carry on into day 3!

Day 3

So I took out the battery to do some reviews last night, then put it back in, and carried on! Light usage to start with, then medium usage towards the end of the day! (streaming music, web browsing) This battery just will not go flat with this usage!!! Very impressed, it's still only on it's second cycle!

Time for some quick maths ;) if we take day 2 and day 3, add the total time together ( 12h 27m 23s +1d 1h 44m 55s = 137,538 seconds = 38.205 hours (I think!)) and take it as 50% battery used, we can calculate that the battery should last 76.41 hours, or 3.18375 days, which is pretty impressive!

Hope you guys are finding this useful, I'll update again tomorrow!

Day 4

Okay, so I used it a bit more today, and as a result it's now flat! I'm going to charge it up overnight, and tomorrow I will do a 100% to flat test streaming youtube videos, and compare against the stock battery to see how this beast does!

Day 5 - 100% to flat vs stock!

Currently running what I shall call the nyan cat test. Screen brightness on full, bluetooth on, NFC on, portable hotspot on, running on 3g, left in the same spot, playing the 10 hour nyan cat video from youtube.

Done the 3,800 mAh battery, impressive results! Just testing the stock battery then I will post up screenshots of how long they lasted! If there is enough demand for it I can also carry out this test with the official extended battery, as well as the 1,900 mAh batteries I have from eBay.

Results

Okay, so first up is the stock 1750 mAh original battery!

And now the 3,800 mAh extended battery!

So, the results speak for themselves. 3 hours extra screen on time, and the battery is still only on its third cycle!

Update: I tried to make it look better by covering it in white carbon fibre effect vinyl, but due to the excessive curves around the camera (and my somewhat lacking skills), it did not end well! :(
    Well I've just received my extended battery for my Nexus, not quite what I expected, think I'm in need of a bigger battery cover ;)
    uploadfromtaptalk1328267052916.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    That is one big battery!

How much weight did that thing add, counting the battery and the backpiece?:D

I'd say the battery and case weigh around twice the originals, so it's a noticeable amount of weight extra, but not too much!
    so your NFC now is not working right?

Nope, NFC does not work with this battery.
    Update!

Day three update is now up!