[APP] Flash Image GUI - Flash Kernels and Recoveries from normal Android mode!
birbeck for the usual random java guidance, slushpupie for his previous java guidance, dodgejcr for extreme amounts of testing, and one_love_420 and shift for some great graphics!
testers: JT-, couga6442, happytweak and many others I might have forgot in the furry of three days I built the initial app from scratch.!
Thanks to SDX
If you have a newer Hboot version on either a CDMA or GSM device which has successfully completed the HTC unlock method, this application will work to flash kernels!
Please see the guides at the bottom of this post!
Flash Image GUI has a couple of great features:
Ability to strip signature from stock signed boot kernels, ability to locate kernel image inside of a ROM .zip, ability to load "Anykernel" type .zip files, ability to load .zip files containing "recovery.img", ability to load straight boot.img files and ability to load straight recovery.img files.
flash_image (bmlwrite) is an extremely useful utility for flashing custom kernels, boot logos and recoveries. This binary has made it possible to easily flash all these items and is used almost everywhere behind the scenes (i.e. in custom recoveries, packaged into kernel /sbin, etc).
This android application, FlashImageGUI, is basically a GUI interface for the linux binary, flash_image provided by google in AOSP for loading custom kernels and recovery images onto the phone.
This app allows the flashing of kernels and custom recovery images in normal android mode!
Current Device Support:
Full Kernel, Logo and Recovery flashing: Samsung Moment, Transform, Intercept and Acclaim - the s3c6410 series of devices
Full Kernel (Anykernel and boot.img) Flashing and Recovery (zip file or image) flashing: HTC AMAZE 4G
, EVO 3D CDMA and GSM, HTC EVO, HTC EVO Shift, Nexus S/Nexus S 4G & LG Optimus
Full Kernel (zImage) Flashing: Samsung Epic
Check application version for updates
Let me know what you want to see!
YouTube Video Directions:
Install process is the same as any other .apk. Download to computer and adb push or mount sdcard on computer and copy over or download directly to the phone. Use any file manager, adb, connectbot/terminal emulator to install.
My preferred method, maybe a bit technical: ./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk
Market (99 cents!): Flash Image GUI
Release version (free): Flash Image GUI
(Trouble with the link, PM me. Thanks!)
Any questions, comments, concerns, or issues, please post in this thread or send me an email! Thanks for all the help and support!
Q: Will this app support a marketplace to pick and chose kernels from?
A: No. Use Kernel Manager!
Please post any helpful feedback. I'm always looking to improve the application!
HTC Unlock - User Guides for Flash Image GUI!!
HTC Unlock - Users Guide for ROMs with a Kernel (boot.img file):
1) Unlock using HTC method for Hboot 1.5 users
2) Load this application, Flash Image GUI, onto the device, either through the Market or the link provided in this OP.
3) Download ROM .zip file to the sdcard on the device.
4) Open up Flash Image GUI, select Browse and select the ROM .zip file, downloaded to /sdcard in the previous step.
5) Flash Image GUI will provide a warning, reminding that the ROM .zip file will *need* to be flashed in the custom recovery afterward.
6) Flash Image GUI will index the full ROM .zip file searching for the kernel and kernel modules. Once located, the Flash Image button should be enabled.
7) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel modules and kernel from inside the ROM zip file.
8) Select reboot recovery.
9) Inside the custom recovery, load/flash the ROM zip file.
10) Reboot to normal Android mode and all should work including Wifi!
HTC Unlock - Users Guide for flashing ONLY a Kernel (zip file):
1) Make sure the selected Kernel is compatible with the currently loaded ROM. If not, this will result in a lot of frustration!!! See troubleshooting steps below.
2) Download kernel zip file to /sdcard.
3) Open Flash Image GUI, browse and select kernel zip file, downloaded/loaded to sdcard in previous step.
3) Flash Image GUI will validate the kernel zip file is contains the minimum required files
4) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel and the kernel modules from the source kernel zip file.
Troubleshooting after Rebooting:
First step, when experiencing issues flashing is to RE FLASH the files again. Many times, re flashing again will clear up any issues. If not, see the issues/solutions below.
Issue #1: If the device hangs or reboots while on the splash screen, the kernel (or packaged ramdisk in the kernel) is NOT compatible with your device!!!
Solution for #1: Have to boot into fastboot and load the custom recovery to flash a known good kernel or restore a previously known good nandroid backup. Command: fastboot boot c:\downloads\cwm-recovery.img
Issue #2: If the device hangs or reboots while on the boot animation, the ROM is likely NOT compatible with the kernel!!!
Solution for #2: Have to boot into fastboot and load the custom recovery to flash a known good ROM/kernel combination either from a zip file or restore from a nandroid backup.
WORD OF CAUTION!
Few things to note!
**If you process a ROM .zip file, Flash Image GUI will ONLY flash the kernel from the ROM .zip. The exact same ROM .zip file needs to be flashed from standard recovery mode next. If the same ROM .zip file is not flashed after the kernel, the device might not booed.
**If an incompatible kernel is flashed, the device will either hang on the splash screen or experience the repeating boot animation loop. The only way to recovery is by using fastboot!
Please provide as much detailed feedback as possible:
1) Link to .zip/.img file being loaded
2) Steps followed
Thanks for all the support and help!