So, apparently, the same rooting method used on the various other Tab's seems to work with the 7.7 as well! Just follow the instruction below:
1. Download and install LATEST SAMSUNG KIES (or stand-alone USB drivers if you can find them)
2. Transfer the attached file root.zip to the EXTERNAL CARD on Galaxy Tab 7.7
3. Turn off the Galaxy Tab 7.7
4. Enter Recovery
- Hold Volume UP button + Power Button
- When TAB turns ON, RELEASE POWER BUTTON (Keep Holding Volume UP Button)
- Will Enter Recovery
5. Select install update from EXTERNAL Storage
6. Look for the file root.zip and select it with power button
7. When Finish, REBOOT. You're done!
Since we now have a ICS ROM for our lovely niche tablet, at this stage we still don't have a stand-alone root.zip which is ICS compatible, so the above method WILL NOT WORK if you are already on ICS. However, don't panic, the easy way around this is:
If you are already on ICS, flash back to stock using PC Odin, or Heimdall.
Once you have done that, and you are successfully back on Honeycomb, you can use the above method to root your device.
Once you are rooted (in Honeycomb), you can then install Mobile Odin (thank you Chainfire!).
Now you can flash to ICS using Mobile Odin with the "ever root" option enabled.
You should now have ICS and root access!
Yahoooo.... our very own Galaxy Tab 7.7 development forum. Rooted mine last night and did OTA update this morning. Surprisingly it didn't break the root. My firmware is now LA2. I made sure I have the original firmware to revert to stock before my root and I strongly suggest you to do so just in case you need to send it in for service. Make sure the firmware matches the original region of your Tab.
You may recall that back in August of last year, we talked … more
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?