[GUIDE] Root (Updated for ICS)

Search This thread

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
So, apparently, the same rooting method used on the various other Tab's seems to work with the 7.7 as well! Just follow the instruction below:

1. Download and install LATEST SAMSUNG KIES (or stand-alone USB drivers if you can find them)
2. Transfer the attached file root.zip to the EXTERNAL CARD on Galaxy Tab 7.7
3. Turn off the Galaxy Tab 7.7
4. Enter Recovery
- Hold Volume UP button + Power Button
- When TAB turns ON, RELEASE POWER BUTTON (Keep Holding Volume UP Button)
- Will Enter Recovery
5. Select install update from EXTERNAL Storage
6. Look for the file root.zip and select it with power button
7. When Finish, REBOOT. You're done!

Enjoy! :)

UPDATE:
Since we now have a ICS ROM for our lovely niche tablet, at this stage we still don't have a stand-alone root.zip which is ICS compatible, so the above method WILL NOT WORK if you are already on ICS. However, don't panic, the easy way around this is:

If you are already on ICS, flash back to stock using PC Odin, or Heimdall.
Once you have done that, and you are successfully back on Honeycomb, you can use the above method to root your device.
Once you are rooted (in Honeycomb), you can then install Mobile Odin (thank you Chainfire!).
Now you can flash to ICS using Mobile Odin with the "ever root" option enabled.
You should now have ICS and root access!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• root.zip
    950 KB · Views: 23,090
Last edited:

ezynow

Apr 11, 2011
Great.

Usual questions is it possible to unroot if needed. (by flashing original firmware or any easier method?)

Also will this affect any possible upgrade issues to newer samsung firmware - assuming no.

Cheers.

kazuni

Aug 28, 2007
Hong Kong
Great.

Usual questions is it possible to unroot if needed. (by flashing original firmware or any easier method?)

Also will this affect any possible upgrade issues to newer samsung firmware - assuming no.

Cheers.

Re-flashing manufacturer rom through Odin is the only method as far as i know ;)

kazuni

Aug 28, 2007
Hong Kong
I am wondering about the same thing... I guess until a clockwork mod comes out ,maybe not.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

earthman5678

Oct 19, 2007
Yahoooo.... our very own Galaxy Tab 7.7 development forum. Rooted mine last night and did OTA update this morning. Surprisingly it didn't break the root. My firmware is now LA2. I made sure I have the original firmware to revert to stock before my root and I strongly suggest you to do so just in case you need to send it in for service. Make sure the firmware matches the original region of your Tab.

Marand55

May 4, 2007
Thanks for the root.zip. I've got my tab last night and am playing with it. Rooted fine no issues.:)

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
I am wondering about the same thing... I guess until a clockwork mod comes out ,maybe not.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!!

You are correct. Until we have a working CWM for the 7.7, the most you can do is create a Titanium Backup or whatever root back programme you prefer. That's not the same as making a complete backup of your ROM though...

Reactions: xenix96 and kazuni

maconsultant

Jun 10, 2011
New York
I was up to date.. Flashed original firmware via Odin.. Updated OTA than rooted via the attached file.. Worked no problem.. Thanks..

Sent from another Galaxy...
Tab 7.7

Last edited:

burhanistan

Apr 14, 2011
I was up to date.. Flashed original firmware via odin.. Updated OTA than rooted via the attachwd file.. Worked no problem.. Thanks..

Tab 7.7

Sorry, I'm unclear. Was your device rooted prior to pulling the OTA update down or after? I'm just curious if rooting will prevent future OTA updates.

maconsultant

Jun 10, 2011
New York
I'll be honest.. What if anything good will come from Samsung via an OTA firmware update.? Nothing.. I don't think anything worthwhile will come from Samsung.. I don't pretty much care about the Samsung OTA firmware updates anymore (TouchWiz made that possible). CM9 or a vanilla build of an ICS based ROM please..

Nexus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, apparently, the same rooting method used on the various other Tab's seems to work with the 7.7 as well! Just follow the instruction below:

1. Download and install LATEST SAMSUNG KIES (or stand-alone USB drivers if you can find them)
    2. Transfer the attached file root.zip to the EXTERNAL CARD on Galaxy Tab 7.7
    3. Turn off the Galaxy Tab 7.7
    4. Enter Recovery
    - Hold Volume UP button + Power Button
    - When TAB turns ON, RELEASE POWER BUTTON (Keep Holding Volume UP Button)
    - Will Enter Recovery
    5. Select install update from EXTERNAL Storage
    6. Look for the file root.zip and select it with power button
    7. When Finish, REBOOT. You're done!

Enjoy! :)

UPDATE:
    Since we now have a ICS ROM for our lovely niche tablet, at this stage we still don't have a stand-alone root.zip which is ICS compatible, so the above method WILL NOT WORK if you are already on ICS. However, don't panic, the easy way around this is:

If you are already on ICS, flash back to stock using PC Odin, or Heimdall.
    Once you have done that, and you are successfully back on Honeycomb, you can use the above method to root your device.
    Once you are rooted (in Honeycomb), you can then install Mobile Odin (thank you Chainfire!).
    Now you can flash to ICS using Mobile Odin with the "ever root" option enabled.
    You should now have ICS and root access!

Enjoy!
    Here's a version which includes SU and SuperUser.apk:

root.zip
    root.zip worked fine for me on a clean install after I first installed CWM.zip from the Galaxy Note forum. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1647148

Just install root.zip from clockworkmod.

This worked great after installing ICS using PC ODIN.
    it works

this is a working root for ICS :laugh:

- Download these 2 files ( CWM.zip and root.zip ) and put in your SDCARD:
    - Reboot to recovery: (Hold Volume Up+Power till it reboot to recovery)
    - Choose apply update from external storage.
    - Choose CWM.zip and wait until CWM recovery appear.
    - Once the cwm recovery appear: Touch the screen to choose and navigate the options
    * This cwm recovery is only temporary cwm recovery.

Once you had install the cwm recovery, navigate and;
    - Choose install zip from sdcard.
    - Choose zip from sdcard.
    - Choose root.zip ;and Yes - Install root.zip.
    - Once done, choose reboot system now.
    * Your device is rooted without permanent cwm recovery: If you don't need cwm recovery. You can stop at here.
    You will find superuser app in your drawer

O.K. I confirm that it works. THANKS MAN.
    Ok.. I answered my own question. This method works perfectly with the Verizon LTE 7.7.