902 Update Instructions
The following instructions are only for people who already followed my guide above. They are confirmed to work for users of Eclipse and Kin3tix 1.0, and if you try it with Liberty please inform me of your results.
DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that you do to anything. Period.
• 901 system already installed
• At least 2GB free on internal sd card (EMMC partition)
• At least 4GB free on external sd card (you can move old backups onto your PC to make room if necessary)
!!! - ONLY PROCEED WITH A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY - !!!
1) This step has been removed. Proceed to step 2.
2) Download 901 -> 902 update
and place it on your external SD card. Don't unzip it. Credit: FantomPhlasher @ DroidForums
Optional Step: If you are using Eclipse 2.1 RC1 now is a good time to update to Eclipse 2.2 Official. Download it onto your SD card now. Credit: Nitroglycerin33 @ EclipseRom.com
3) Backup any important/critical app data (e.g. sync calendar, export settings in launcher).
3) Reboot system, and then press MENU to enter safestrap recovery mode (touch button with four squares, to the left of the home button). Green menu = good.
4) Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup. I don't see the need for backing up the primary system or webtop since they will shortly be updated. Your choice. I'm paranoid so I made two backups, one with and one without those options. I recommend saving the backup to the external SD card so safestrap has room to operate on the internal card in subsequent steps. The backup will be saved in \Safestrap\Backup.
5) Select "++++Go Back++++" to return to the main recovery menu.
6) Go to the "safe boot menu".
7) Select "Toggle Safe System". Wait a little bit.
8) Select "+++++Go Back+++++", verify that "Safe System is: DISABLED", and then "reboot system now".
9) Allow stock system to settle if you haven't used it in a while. Make sure to update your apps, especially Superuser. To do this manually, go to the market app, then press the menu key, and go to "My Apps". Update everything. Superuser gave me an error to update, so I uninstalled it then reinstalled.
10) Shutdown phone.
11) Hold down BOTH volume buttons, and press the power button. This will boot you into stock recovery.
12) Select "Recovery" in the menu. (Beware the weird method of navigating the menu. To select Recovery press volume down, then volume up).
13) At the fancy logo, press BOTH volume buttons.
14) Go to "Apply Update" then select the 902 Update from step # above. (Navigate up/down with the volume keys and use the power button for enter.) The update will take a while.
15) Pay attention to progress. Note any error messages carefully If you modified/debloated/icon-changed/whatever your stock system you won't pass this stage. You'll have to try something fancier. Seek help elsewhere if this is you.
16) Reboot phone and allow stock to boot. Notice safestrap is gone. This will take longer than usual.
17) Verify system version (Settings -> About Phone).
18) Use Root Checker Basic
from the market to verify you are rooted.
19) Start the safestrap app (from your list of apps) and press the "Install Recovery" button. This will reinstall safestrap.
20) Reboot system, and then press MENU to enter safestrap recovery mode (touch button with four squares, to the left of the home button). Green menu = good.
21) Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup of your stock 902 system. I recommend backing up the webtop, and saving the backup to the external SD card so safestrap has room to operate on the internal card in subsequent steps. The backup will be saved in \Safestrap\Backup.
22) Go to the "safe boot menu".
23) Select "Toggle Safe System". Wait a little bit.
24) Select "+++++Go Back+++++", and verify that "Safe System is: ENABLED".
25) Select "Wipe cache partition".
26) Now go to the "Advanced" menu and select "Wipe Dalvik Cache".
Optional Steps: If you are upgrading to Eclipse 2.2 Official.
A) Select "+++Go Back+++" to return to the main menu.
B) Select "Install zip from sdcard". DON'T GO TO "apply update from sdcard".
C) Select "choose zip from sdcard" and find the ROM .zip file. DON'T GO TO "apply /sdcard/update.zip".
D) If you are coming from Liberty or Kin3tix, select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" in the main menu. Don't do this if you are coming from Eclipse 2.1 RC1.
27) Finally, select "+++Go Back+++" to return to the main recovery menu and select "power off".
28) Wait for power down to finish, then restart your bionic. Be patient, the first boot takes unusually long.
29) If your ROM doesn't work, you can try the "Wide Data/Factory Reset" option, or you can install the newest Eclipse, or you can just use stock.
PLEASE CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU