FORUMS

Android M Preview Images – XDA TV

Android M preview images are available. That and much more news is covered by Jordan when he … more

I/O Summary: How Android M Handles Power And Charging

In the spirit of improving the core Android experience, Google is changing Android … more

I/O Summary: Google Photos App

At I/O 2015, Google tackled the information problem in mobile once more, this time through … more

I/O Summary: Development, Play Store, The Next Billion

VP of Engineering Jen Fitzpatrick began talking about what Google is doing to … more

[WIP] USB Host support (working)

Thanks Meter: 2,632

By verygreen, Recognized Contributor on 22nd January 2012, 01:18 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
25th January 2012, 03:49 PM |#11  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cceerrtt

for some phones it is possible to buy usb to audio jack converter, e.g.
http://www.amazon.com/Headphones-Ear...7504575&sr=1-6
I don't know how much effort and changes is needed on kernel side to make it work though.

Those are not applicable, since they aren't actually connected to the USB port. On some phones, the USB "plug" is modified to connect with extra pins -- which carry audio signal.

25th January 2012, 05:12 PM |#12  
OP Recognized Contributor
TN
Thanks Meter: 2,632

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cceerrtt

Do I need to copy all three binaries? Also, could you prepare uRamdisk with adb over usb (not wifi) enabled? Thank you in advance.

You need the kernel uImage and uRamdisk files, init is already included.

As far as adb over usb is concerned, it's a bit pointless since there is only one usb receptacle, so you can either connect with adb over usb or connect some usb device, but not both at the same time.
That's why wifi makes more sense.
25th January 2012, 07:01 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by verygreen

Should be possible, but would require external power for the bt dongle I would think.

BT USB dongle consumes almost same as USB mouse
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/squeezin...ew-583-26.html
Since USB mouse is working, BT USB might be feasible as well...
25th January 2012, 07:30 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by verygreen

You need the kernel uImage and uRamdisk files, init is already included.

As far as adb over usb is concerned, it's a bit pointless since there is only one usb receptacle, so you can either connect with adb over usb or connect some usb device, but not both at the same time.
That's why wifi makes more sense.

My point is that you don't need wireless access point with adb over usb. It is also more secure than adb over wifi with lower power consumption. Whenewer I need adb over wifi, I can enable it using one adb command. Moreover, using both adb and keyboard attached to nook would not be very frequent scenario (at least in my case).
Last edited by cceerrtt; 25th January 2012 at 07:33 PM.
25th January 2012, 09:37 PM |#15  
Flag Bodø
Thanks Meter: 161

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiso

BT USB dongle consumes almost same as USB mouse
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/squeezin...ew-583-26.html
Since USB mouse is working, BT USB might be feasible as well...

I've tried a few BT dongles and they can be detected without external power, but I have yet to figure out if BT communications can be driven without external power as well.
25th January 2012, 10:16 PM |#16  
Flag Bodø
Thanks Meter: 161

Donate to Me
More
USB Host Mode Swicth for Nook Simple Touch
Attached is a Nook Simple Touch version of verygreens USB Host Mode switching app.

Requires properly installed "su" in /system/bin

Let me know if there are problems.
Attached Files
File Type: apk usbHostSwitch.apk - [Click for QR Code] (24.5 KB, 494 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ros87 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th January 2012, 07:06 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Let's hope so. But I have good hopes as BT intention is to be low power communication. In the post I was referring to earlier, the power communication of BT in use was similar to USB mouse in use...

Sent from my GT-I8150 using xda premium
27th January 2012, 12:07 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Would this cable work for host? I've had cables refuse to work with other devices for no apparent reason before, and I don't really want to order something that won't work.
http://www.amazon.com/female-Micro-m...ef=pd_vtp_e_77
Last edited by Googie2149; 27th January 2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: FAIL. I forgot to include the link
27th January 2012, 06:42 PM |#19  
Flag Brr...
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
Wink TorimuNooter
I'll try to get this included in my TorimuNooter root! Maybe version 0.5 I'm working on 0.4 right now and I can't include your USB host support because it's not yet complete, but I will try to implement it as soon as I can.
Good work!
The Following User Says Thank You to Torimu.Joji For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2012, 09:47 PM |#20  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Boston
Thanks Meter: 860

More
@Googie2149: Any standard USB cable will work as well as any other.
The ID pin on the micro USB connector on the Nook is not going anywhere so a special OTG cable is not required.

I loaded in the new uImage and uRamdisk and things act more consistently, but I still can't get a keyboard to work.

Neither of the two utilities out there seem to work correctly for me. I do have su installed. I have had more success with simple commands

Code:
echo host > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode
echo peripheral > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode
cat /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode
One thing is clear; the Nook adheres to the USB standard for supplying power, that is, it supplies it for 100 millisecs and if the peripheral signals back correctly it continues to supply it. Issuing a host command cause the red LED to flash for about a 1/10 of a second. Supplying power on the red wire is not necessary for host communication.

My setup has a powered hub and a cable with the red lead not carried through. I can issue a host command but it never seems to communicate. The status reads back "a_wait_vrise".

Does anybody have any insight into the FSM to say what is going on?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
usb host, usbhost
Previous Thread Next Thread