5,597,762 Members 36,103 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Charging Current: Check if your device is charging correctly

Tip us?

abmantis
Old
(Last edited by abmantis; 28th April 2013 at 10:25 PM.) Reason: Improve post readability
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 251

DONATE TO ME
Plug Galaxy Charging Current: Check if your device is charging correctly

Galaxy Charging Current:

* Please do not re-upload the apk. Link to this thread instead. *

I've made a simple app that displays the three values related to the charging current that are provided by Samsung:
  • current_now: I think this *always* shows 999 on AC and 466 on USB.
  • current_avg: Not sure about this one... Usually is the same as current_max (at least after some seconds)
  • current_max: This is the most important one, since it defines the maximum charging current. In other others, the phone will not get more current to charge the battery than the value displayed here. For example, on an S3, if this shows anything much less 1000, the device is charging slower than it should/could.

The app also comes with a simple (and ugly ) widget that shows the current_max, so that we can easily check weather the device is charging at the optimal current (1000mA on the S3) or not.

If you find the application useful and want to contribute please buy the Pro version from Google Play.
The Pro version also has some extra features like auto-refresh and an optional dark theme.

Pro version on Google Play: Galaxy Charging Current Pro
Lite version on Google Play: Galaxy Charging Current Lite

The application is compatible with non-US versions of the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2.
It was not tested on the Galaxy S4 yet. If you have a Galaxy S4 please report if the application works.

Background (why I made this app and why you should check it):

I've started to notice that when I use a USB extension to charge the SGS3 it charges *really* slowly.
This only happens sometimes and the problem does not happen in other smartphones I've used. Also, it's not a cable fault, since I've tested more than one cable.

After some "research" I've found that the file /sys/class/power_supply/battery/current_max does not show 1000 (1A) when using the extension. Instead it shows much lower values like 200, 300 and, sometimes, 600. Even when using only the stock cable *sometimes* it shows 900 or much lower values like 600 (when it should show 1000), thus charging slower. Disconnecting the cable and reconnecting usually updates the value to 1000.

It seems that the current_max file shows the current limit at which the phone is charging, and if it is charging at less than 1000mA, it is charging slower that it should/can, since the stock charger has an output of 1000mA.

Does anyone know why this happens? I *think* that the battery/charging driver does some checks when the cable is connect to find the maximum safe current and, due to signal noise that occurs when the cable is being connected, it sets a lower maximum value. If this is the case, the driver should periodically repeat the test to update the max charging current.

By the way, I've seen this behavior on rooted stock 4.1.1 and also 4.1.2.

If you think this post is useful or helped you in any way, please press the "THANKS" button. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: apk GalaxyChargingCurrent v1.1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (163.8 KB, 11296 views)
If i helped you in anyway, please press the button, at the left side.

Also, feel free to offer me a coffee.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S III
The Following 202 Users Say Thank You to abmantis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Oomahey
Old
Thanks Meter 298
+1

But it happens to me when using the wall charger. No problems with USB charging. Haven't checked the file mentioned in the first post for the charging values, but the slow charging problem exists exactly as mentioned in the OP. Again, disconnecting and re-connecting the cable solves the issue.

Happens with all ROMs and kernels.

Using the original Samsung cable and charger. Don't have any other cable.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oomahey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

abmantis
Old
(Last edited by abmantis; 7th February 2013 at 11:21 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 251

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomahey View Post
+1

But it happens to me when using the wall charger. No problems with USB charging. Haven't checked the file mentioned in the first post for the charging values, but the slow charging problem exists exactly as mentioned in the OP. Again, disconnecting and re-connecting the cable solves the issue.

Happens with all ROMs and kernels.

Using the original Samsung cable and charger. Don't have any other cable.

EDIT: Removed to prevent confusion.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abmantis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Oomahey
Old
Thanks Meter 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadVirus View Post
If you are rooted, please check that file when the phone is charging slowly. Using Terminal Emulator, type:
Code:
cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/current_max
Yes, I am rooted. I don't have the issue right now but checked the file nonetheless. The file shows 900mA. Will check again when I have the issue and report here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Oomahey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

abmantis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 251

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomahey View Post
Yes, I am rooted. I don't have the issue right now but checked the file nonetheless. The file shows 900mA. Will check again when I have the issue and report here.

Try to remove and replug the cable, it should then show 1000.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abmantis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tiktakt0w
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Exclamation WARNING!!!!!

Please stay away from the stock sgs3 wall power adapter as it is known to wreck usb cables that are being used with it.
Check this thread for proof.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2073429

have a nice day!
SGS3 GT - I9300 - R.I.P. SOLD

Galaxy Ace Plus - speedmod 4.4 by Giugiu

Galaxy Note GT-N7000 - AryaMod 4.5 with Forest's OC kernel.

Oppo Find 5 X909 - CodeFireX latest 4.4 nightly
The Following User Says Thank You to tiktakt0w For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

syamsoul
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Plug in the charger, view the current_max = 1000

Current now 999

Average 1000

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

abmantis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 251

DONATE TO ME
It would be nice if more people checked this behavior so that we could find why it happens.
To make things easier, I've attached a simple app (with widget) in the first post that displays the charging current values, so that everyone can check if the device is charging at full current.

The Following User Says Thank You to abmantis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

celeronix
Old
Thanks Meter 20
The faster your battery charges, the faster it wears.
I set the current to the minimum using STweaks and Siyah Kernel.
Also I don't know what is your problem and why you are in a hurry to charge your batteries with the maximum current supported by the charger? That's nonsense.
Samsung GT-I9205 Mega 6.3 8GB
The Following User Says Thank You to celeronix For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

abmantis
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 251

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by celeronix View Post
The faster your battery charges, the faster it wears.
I set the current to the minimum using STweaks and Siyah Kernel.
Also I don't know what is your problem and why you are in a hurry to charge your batteries with the maximum current supported by the charger? That's nonsense.
Well, first because when I use a USB extension the current is so low that it charges like 10% in 8 hours (once again, this does not happen in another HTC smartphone, with the same charger+extensions).
Second, because even when using the stock cable I don't like to wait 4 hours to be able pick the phone and go out (usually it takes only 2 and a half hours, but sometimes....).

Understand that each person has different habits and needs. Maybe for you it is nonsense that a person wants the phone charged fast, but for me it is nonsense that you want your phone to charge slowly. Right, if I'm spending a whole day at the desk I don't mind the phone taking the whole day to charge, but that is not always the case.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abmantis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
battery, charger, charging, current, slow