Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,899 Members 49,312 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Vivo is testing a software update for RAZR

Tip us?

Ronis_BR
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by casaroli View Post
I was confused also when I first saw. Perhaps someone need to notify the EternityProject thread about the version number so it does not cause more confusion.

I still can't post to that thead , so maybe someone else could do it.

BTW, After the update, running Motorola Software Update does not update anymore, since we are already at the latest version.

I guess using Motorola Software Update is the safest way to upgrade and for sure it should not void your warranty.

Thanks
Software Update will do exactly what RSD Lite and the fastboot files is doing. There isn't anyway to know which kind of method was used to update the cellphone. So, if you have a Vivo cellphone and flashed a Vivo stock ROM from here, if you don't do anything wrong, then you are "safe".
If my post was useful, please, hit the Thanks button!
I don't accept donations... if you want to donate your money, do it to anyone who tries to maintain Linux free.
Although, you can help me veeery much by signing up and installing Dropbox (it can be uninstalled after) using the link: http://db.tt/AomCGla
It is free and will give us additional 250 MiB for storage space, which will help me very much!

casaroli
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronis_BR View Post
I wasn't able to perform the update with software update by motorola...
The only way possible was to use RSD Lite and fastboot files here.

Thanks!
Ronan
Did you install to the default location? Open the software update folder, find the ZIP and try to extract it, you will see that it will create an empty folder (with very long name), and will give an error to extract the file contents. Motorola Software Update just fails to install the update and does not describe the error. Using windows to extract, you should see the error.

Moving the whole software update folder to c:\moto should work, since the extraction works.

If it does not work, you can manually flash by RSD Lite, and use the downloaded zip in the software update folder.
The Following User Says Thank You to casaroli For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ronis_BR
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Did you install to the default location? Open the software update folder, find the ZIP and try to extract it, you will see that it will create an empty folder (with very long name), and will give an error to extract the file contents. Motorola Software Update just fails to install the update and does not describe the error. Using windows to extract, you should see the error.

Moving the whole software update folder to c:\moto should work, since the extraction works.

If it does not work, you can manually flash by RSD Lite, and use the downloaded zip in the software update folder.
I think that Motorola Software Upgrade doesn't need to extract update.zip. Normally, it is pushed to the phone and than extracted. If update.zip is extracted in Windows (NTFS partition) I think that it will have problems with permissions and links that must be defined in RAZR's ext3 partition.

But it is only my guess
I don't accept donations... if you want to donate your money, do it to anyone who tries to maintain Linux free.
Although, you can help me veeery much by signing up and installing Dropbox (it can be uninstalled after) using the link: http://db.tt/AomCGla
It is free and will give us additional 250 MiB for storage space, which will help me very much!

casaroli
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I'm pretty sure that Software Updates (and RSD Lite) extracts the ZIP because I could see the empty folder created on the software update folder.

Also, the contents of the ZIP are not the actual files on the phone (i.e. the ext3 fs contents), they are flash images, like radio.img, filesystem image, webtop, and so on. Also, there is the file mapping so software update knows where to flash each image.

Extracting this file should not lead to any error on permissions.

I'm not at my computer right now, so I'm not able to extract the zip contents and post here. I could do it later.

Ronis_BR
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that Software Updates (and RSD Lite) extracts the ZIP because I could see the empty folder created on the software update folder.

Also, the contents of the ZIP are not the actual files on the phone (i.e. the ext3 fs contents), they are flash images, like radio.img, filesystem image, webtop, and so on. Also, there is the file mapping so software update knows where to flash each image.

Extracting this file should not lead to any error on permissions.

I'm not at my computer right now, so I'm not able to extract the zip contents and post here. I could do it later.
Yes, if it is images than you are right!
Unfortunately, I have already updated my RAZR, so we can't test it

Ronis_BR
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Yes, I think you are right.
I saw the file in software upgrade's folder and it is the same file (same md5sum and name) I have flashed using RSD Lite 5.6.

Well, here the differences I saw:

- As casaroli commented, some translations were fixed.
- GPS is 100x faster. I think they really enable AGPS. I can see the option in GPS Status apk, which didn't exist before. In a cold start and using the network (AGPS), I got a satellite fix in less than 25 seconds inside my home (near a window obviously).
- The operational system is much more stable.
- I think (didn't test it) that WiFi connection is better.
- Windows Live apk is installed.
- Compass problem wasn't solved

It is a very good update, my RAZR is much more stable and I recommend to everyone who have a Vivo RAZR.

I won't explain how to use RSD Lite since you can brick your device. First, try what casaroli said and try to update by Software Upgrade by Motorola. It is the safest way always.

Ronis_BR
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Now we have to see how can we flash android 2.3.6 here

njoismartguys
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Start here: ht tp: // direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/support/update/[/url]

select your country, then your carrier, or "retail" for retail version.

Download that software and *DO NOT INSTALL TO "c:\program files (x86)\motorola mobility\software update" because the file paths will get too long and you will have problems.

To avoid these long filepaths problems, install it to somewhere else shorter, like for example "c:\moto"

Run the software updater while connected to the Internet, connect your phone to the computer and follow the steps on the update.

The do not forget to root again :P

Good luck!
Thanks! The ROM on the official ROM page from the development section has 2062 (as you figured already)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronis_BR View Post
Now we have to see how can we flash android 2.3.6 here
Yes looking forward for this. Plainly I am so disappointed with Moto's update schedule for different regions. Thought Google acquisition would speed up the process, but doesn't seem like it.

mestisso79
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default MY I updated to 2.3.6

Update via RSD LITE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120124_193935.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	871033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120124_193947.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	871034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120124_194048.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	871035   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120124_194642.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	871036  
The Following User Says Thank You to mestisso79 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ronis_BR
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Man, can you please describe exactly what you did? Is your razr from vivo?

Thanks and great job!
Ronan

Sent from my XT910 using xda premium

Tags
razr, update, vivo